Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
So here is the deal. I've been an iPhone user since the 3GS. I currently have a 5S. Ever since the first iPad was announced I thought I would never get one because of price alone, but I did want one.. Well now it's 2014 and I have the ability to buy an iPad Air now. I've waited so long for an iPad and I want it so bad I can taste it, but is now not a good time to buy with Sept. Only 4 months away? So how about it? Go ahead and buy the iPad Air or wait for whatever comes out in the fall?

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I''m waiting. Why buy 8 month old technology at the same price it was 8 months ago? Especially when in 4 months you will be paying the same amount for a better product!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I''m waiting. Why buy 8 month old technology at the same price it was 8 months ago? Especially when in 4 months you will be paying the same amount for a better product!

I vote with this comment. The OP waited all this time. It makes NO sense to buy now when in 6 months time the new Air's will be released. MacRumors posted a story where iOS 8 may introduce split screen multitasking. If that's the case the new iPad's could see a bump in ram from 1 to 2GB.

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
I'm kinda in the same boat. I never owned an iPad before and I'm in the market for one but currently it's a little over halfway on the release cycle. So, It's better to wait.

They will update some hardware, hopefully some new additions and along with new iOS. Perhaps a fix for hardware or software related bugs that seems to effect some iPad owners.

In the end you'll be glad you've waited, I know I will. If anything, if you end up not liking the new iPad, you could buy the current one with less money. Win Win situation. :)

clockworks90

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
I think that buying an iPad Air is a great idea. It is a lot lighter and thinner than the past iPads. I own an iPad Air and it is probably one of the best tablets I've owned. I would recommend buying one. If you're still not sure than you can check it out at an apple store. But otherwise I think its a great product.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
So here is the deal. I've been an iPhone user since the 3GS. I currently have a 5S. Ever since the first iPad was announced I thought I would never get one because of price alone, but I did want one.. Well now it's 2014 and I have the ability to buy an iPad Air now. I've waited so long for an iPad and I want it so bad I can taste it, but is now not a good time to buy with Sept. Only 4 months away? So how about it? Go ahead and buy the iPad Air or wait for whatever comes out in the fall?

Given that you've waited so long, I'd recommend waiting till September.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
You have waited far to long. But if you can wait until November wait. If you say screw that and get it now that's also a good choice.

----------

I think that buying an iPad Air is a great idea. It is a lot lighter and thinner than the past iPads. I own an iPad Air and it is probably one of the best tablets I've owned. I would recommend buying one. If you're still not sure than you can check it out at an apple store. But otherwise I think its a great product.

That does not at all have anything to do with the topic...

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks guys! I'm afraid that if I wait that long I will have used the money I've saved for this on something else, but I'll try to hold off. I know no one really knows at all, but are people expecting a big change in hardware or specs coming?

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
I vote with this comment. The OP waited all this time. It makes NO sense to buy now when in 6 months time the new Air's will be released. MacRumors posted a story where iOS 8 may introduce split screen multitasking. If that's the case the new iPad's could see a bump in ram from 1 to 2GB.

That's why I'm waiting.

Thanks guys! I'm afraid that if I wait that long I will have used the money I've saved for this on something else, but I'll try to hold off. I know no one really knows at all, but are people expecting a big change in hardware or specs coming?

Apple likes to keep things too close to the chest for us to know for sure - it's all speculation.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
If you just have to have it now, you could always buy and then sell later--taking a loss, of course. Or, figuring there's a family member that could use a year old IPA, go that route when the new ones come out.

But, in general, yes, absolutely, wait! In many ways, the IPA was a first edition product of a new line; in other ways, it isn't that much of an advance in user experience over earlier models.

Now, what you could do is buy a used iPad (or a refurb one off of Apple) and have that tide you over until winter…you wouldn't lost that much money; you'd have it under a transferrable Apple Care; and you'd know whether the iPad experience was for you or not (it will be! :))

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
So I did exactly what you all suggested I NOT do... but I have wanted an iPad ever since the first one and I just couldn't wait any longer.... So I bought a 64GB iPad Air, Space Grey... Bluetooth keyboard/folio, and a cheap $10 stylus.... and I must say.. this thing is AMAZING! I can easily see me not using my iphone at home at all anymore.... just when I'm out. Thanks guys for the help and suggestions... and sorry I couldn't wait... but I'm glad I didn't either. I really did think about it a bunch and while I was thinking two things kept popping up in my head. #1 This should be treated more like a computer/laptop purchase.... where it doesn't matter when you buy one because a week later something bigger and better will come out... and #2. If I were to wait... I could just ALWAYS be waiting. A week after the iPad Air 2 would come out I would be telling myself I should just wait until the next one to see what all it can do... a person could ALWAYS be waiting for the next one. I bought this one outright so I figure IF there is just something KILLER that I absolutly cannot live without or just blows me away about the iPad Air 2 I could always use the AT&T Next plan to get a cellular capable one, and just sell this one to help pay the monthly bill. Anyway... Really LOVING the world of iPad!!!

----------

If you just have to have it now, you could always buy and then sell later--taking a loss, of course. Or, figuring there's a family member that could use a year old IPA, go that route when the new ones come out.

But, in general, yes, absolutely, wait! In many ways, the IPA was a first edition product of a new line; in other ways, it isn't that much of an advance in user experience over earlier models.

Now, what you could do is buy a used iPad (or a refurb one off of Apple) and have that tide you over until winter…you wouldn't lost that much money; you'd have it under a transferrable Apple Care; and you'd know whether the iPad experience was for you or not (it will be! :))

Ohh and btw.. I pretty much already knew the iPad experience was for me, but after only 5 minutes, I knew for sure without a doubt! lol Thanks!

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Good choice! I am thinking about selling my iPad Mini Retina 32 GB WIFI in July to save up a little and get the 3rd gen iPad mini. Do you guys think I should do this? How much should I sell it for? Where?:apple::confused:

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks! Not sure what the difference between the two minis is, but if its anything significant, then why not? Also I know people here generally are negative towards ebay but thats always a good place. Also I know here we have local buy/sell/trade facebook groups that are quite large and have very very good reputations for getting what you paid for since you can contact the seller directly on Facebook and call out any issues you do have for everyone to see. Just a thought... you might want to check that out!

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Thanks! Not sure what the difference between the two minis is, but if its anything significant, then why not? Also I know people here generally are negative towards ebay but thats always a good place. Also I know here we have local buy/sell/trade facebook groups that are quite large and have very very good reputations for getting what you paid for since you can contact the seller directly on Facebook and call out any issues you do have for everyone to see. Just a thought... you might want to check that out!

So I should sell mine soon? Like July-August? I found out that as of today on Amazon, I can sell my iPad a Mini Retina WIFI 32GB for $416! That's great because I can get education pricing when to new one comes out and only hav to save up $75 or so!:cool::D:apple:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So I should sell mine soon? Like July-August? I found out that as of today on Amazon, I can sell my iPad a Mini Retina WIFI 32GB for $416! That's great because I can get education pricing when to new one comes out and only hav to save up $75 or so!:cool::D:apple:

IMO, if you are willing to live without an iPad for several months, then you don't have much need for it in the first place. I mean, if you sell it in July, and the new ones don't come out until November, that's like 3-4 months.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Yea I'm kinda with AndrewsGF50 on this. On one hand its better to sell now because you'll be able to sell it for more now than what you will when it gets around the time to announce the new ones. But then you'd have to be willing to go without an iPad for a few months. I would counter andrewsGF50 that no one NEEDS an iPad. We don't NEED a lot of things... including cell phones in general. They do make life much easier and more fun... but I grew up without even having a computer at all until I was about 13, 14... Sol I mean I could personally live with out it all just fine.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Glad the OP bought an iPad! The waiting game gets silly after a while. It's like why even bother buying anything..... It's just going to eventually be outdated. Bleh. Buy now and enjoy NOW!

:D

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Glad the OP bought an iPad! The waiting game gets silly after a while. It's like why even bother buying anything..... It's just going to eventually be outdated. Bleh. Buy now and enjoy NOW!

:D

Yup, EXACTLY why I decided to just go ahead and buy now... and I'm so glad I did! It's replacing my laptop for a TON of things so far. Hard to keep from playing with it non stop lol.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Good choice! I am thinking about selling my iPad Mini Retina 32 GB WIFI in July to save up a little and get the 3rd gen iPad mini. Do you guys think I should do this? How much should I sell it for? Where?:apple::confused:

Swappa, Amazon, Craigslist, gazelle, eBay. Take your pick. I'd recommend gazelle or Swappa over the other choices.

I personally think it's too early to sell I'd hold off a couple more months.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
jstuts, good decision!

Even though several of us recommended holding off, they are a treat to own. Plus, you're right--there'll always be something better down the road. And, resale value will always be there when something new and improved comes along that strikes your fancy!

You should let us know what you're particularly using yours for--and what you especially like about it. It's always fun to hear about that and reminds us of the initial magic!

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
Buy it and have 4 months of added pleasure. If the next generation comes along and you like it better, then sell what you have. In my case I am very content with the iPad 4 I have and will continue to use it until I can no longer update and get the pleasure I now get from it. After all some times a bird in hand is worth more than one in the bush.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Hey Saturn! I've been using mine for a lot of everything! Lol it's pretty much replaced my laptop. I find myself grabbing it for no reason at all just to play with it lol. The first day I got it I didn't sleep for about 32 hours just because I wanted to play with it so much! I've been doing everything with it from games to movies to email and lots and lots of web surfing and reading. This thing is simply magical!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hey Saturn! I've been using mine for a lot of everything! Lol it's pretty much replaced my laptop. I find myself grabbing it for no reason at all just to play with it lol. The first day I got it I didn't sleep for about 32 hours just because I wanted to play with it so much! I've been doing everything with it from games to movies to email and lots and lots of web surfing and reading. This thing is simply magical!

Great to hear you are enjoying it so much. Have to say that iPads have rarely left my hand since I got the first one -- I guess it's been four years ago? Amazingly, it's just as magical as it was on the first day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.