Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Who are your favorites? To go all the way or at least finish group stage

Group A
Brazil and then Croatia

Group B
Spain and Chile

Group C
Colombia and Japan

Group D
Uruguay and Italy

Group E
France and the Swiss

Group F
Argentina and Bosnia

Group G
Germany and Portugal

Group H
Belgium and Korea

Knock out rounds
Last 16
Left Table
Brazil vs Chile (Brazil advance)
Colombia vs Italy (Colombia Advance)
Bosnia vs France (Bosnia Advance)
Germany vs Korea (Germany Advance)

Right Table
Spain vs Croatia ( Spain Advance)
Uruguay vs Japan (Uruguay Advance)
Swiss vs Argentina (Argentina Advance)
Portugal vs Belgium (Belgium Advance)

Last 8
Colombia vs Brazil (Brazil)
Bosnia vs Germany (Germany)
Spain vs Uruguay (Uruguay)
Argentina vs Belgium (Belgium)

Semis
Brazil vs Germany (Brazil)
Belgium vs Uruguay (Uruguay)

Final
Brazil vs Uruguay (Brazil)

- Argentina has a awful awful goalie selection and a joke for a defense. In a tourney like this it will get them killed no matter how many World Class strikers they have.

I think that If Holland is able to beat Chile and qualify for 2nd round they are able to beat Brazil. Colombia beats Holland but lose to Germany then Germany would lift the Title. Spain is too old and over rated to win. I can't see any South American team beating Germany other than Brazil. Shocks happen and the climate might effect the Germans but they are the team to beat other than the home squad. Chile, Uruguay and Colombia really do have a awesome this time around.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I will probably provide my selections when I get home; but I do agree that Brazil will probably win it all.

Questions about your choices though:
Is Boznia that good to beat out France? I honestly dont think they will make it past the first round, but the rest of the group is not so great; so I could believe it.

And why do you think Mexico will lose out to Croatia in Group A?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Argentina vs Belgium (Belgium)

No idea, reasonable choices all around. But I really love how much you rate Belgium! Hope they play a good tourney. Spain vs Urugay would be Spain for me though unless Suarez scores 2-3 unbelievable goals, somethings that isn't totally unheared of. Leaving Spain vs Brazil in the final. Could be worse! :D

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I know USA doesn't stand a chance, especially since they are in a pretty tough bracket, but I am pulling for USA!!

I agree, Group F would have been a more appropriate spot for USA. Not only did they put the US with some of the top teams, but also Ghana, who has knocked the US out of the World Cup twice in a row... So unfair :[

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
I agree, Group F would have been a more appropriate spot for USA. Not only did they put the US with some of the top teams, but also Ghana, who has knocked the US out of the World Cup twice in a row... So unfair :[

I honestly think if there is a shock that Ghana will beat Portugal and go to the 2nd round. Wouldn't be surprised is Ivory coast is 2nd place. Think all the 1 seeds should at the very least get out of their group in 2nd place. I mean I would prefer Colombia to be 2nd place so we can stay the hell away from Brazil and Germany until the final. Uruguay, Spain and Argentina are much more accessible teams to beat for us then Germany and Brazil who will hopefully be knocked out for us by the final :)

France is insanely over rated and shouldn't have made it to the last 2 WCs but Fifa helps :roll eyes:(Ireland was robbed). Almost as badly as England is.

Spain is not as good as people think. Over rated because of Real Madrid(Ronaldo,Bale,Modric) and Barca(Messi). People rate France, Spain, and England highly because of how good their leagues are but fail to look at the rosters of those teams and see they are 80% foreign players.

As for Croatia over Mexico. Croatia has Rakitic(Sevilla World Class MF), Kova (Inter 19 but will be WC), and Modric at Real.... Come on that is a insane MF.

Mexico sucks unless you believe what telemundo says. They barely made it to the WC and their euro stars are in awful form right now.

My picks to win are 1.) Brazil 2. Germany 3. Argentina(**** defense) 4. Colombia(lack of experience and two 35+ year old CBs can F us over) 5. Belgium(lack of experience)/Uruguay(Cavani + Suarez attacking !!!) . Just have the best rosters and play the awesome attacking football.

SPain is also utter **** against South American teams.:cool:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You make some reasonable statements there but to call Spain overrated because of Messi, Ronaldo, Bale etc is pretty much laughable. :D

If anything, they're too fed up having dominated everthing over the last ~5-6 years.

Having a worldclass strikeforce doesn't beat any serious top-team. Don't think Uruguay will come as strong as suggested. But I agree that we're in for a treat and some real surprises. And almost every single team can be called overrated: Germany isn't in form and misses some crucial players. All the SA teams have to play against that immense pressure put onto them, especially Brazil.

Ghana and especially Ivory Coast are always rated as underdogs but actually rarely if ever deliver. And if they do, Suarez will make sure it doesn't count. :D

Last edited:

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Haha I love Luis Suarez everyone calls him a villain for the most second Epic Handball of all time.

You need a balanced team and no team in the world is more balanced then Germany. Brazil is at home but has a crappy defense and goalie like every other South American team. The fact they all play in the biggest teams in the world doesn't change the fact that all the South American teams have 0 defense. I'd rate Belgium higher but they lost to Colombia and Japan recently. Fine both teams used a mixed team but still lost to these 2 AT HOME !! Totally a different game to play Colombia in 90 degree weather with humidity in Barranquilla then to play them in your home stadium.

Spain doesn't have a goalie or a CF = F'D !. Utter BS that Fifa allowed them to bring Diego Costa who played with Brazil against ITALY !!!!! Yet he never committed to Brazil? Huge sell out hope he breaks his leg.

For me I wouldn't be shocked if France, England/Italy, Spain/Holland and Portugal don't get out of group stages.

Some teams just have 0 chances unless 10 million people sell their souls to the devil to get Costa Rica, Iran or Austrillia out of group stages :) Every one else has a fair shot of getting out of group stage.

Even Honduras who to me is the best team in the concacaf group isn't that strong. Both euro teams are over rated and Ecuador is garbage away from home and their best striker died of a heart attack last year. US beats Ghana and Portugal and are in both teams are beatable.

Argentina and Brazil has 0 excuses for not winning their 1st 3 games 5-0

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Seriously if Brazil wins another World Cup, I will be disappointed honestly. They won it way too many times.

I actually really want to see a dark horse win this time around. Too bad the US is not good at all this year.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
For me I wouldn't be shocked if France, England/Italy, Spain/Holland and Portugal don't get out of group stages.

Bookmarked!

And I'm sorry, but Italy being defeated by Colombia is quite a statement as well. Not saying it couldn't happen, but yeah, wouldn't get my hopes up too much. :p

----------

:confused:

---

The general chat about Belgium reminds me of Denmark 1986; a good team until they hit the self-destruct button.

Or Denkmark '92...honestly. But that was in Sweden, not Brazil. Hope they play a good tournament and grow on it. Have to be seriously counted with in the future. Now...let's see.

And Spain doesn't need a CF. Even when Torres peaked some years ago, they didn't really need him.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I see Ecuador advancing out of Group E: France and/or Switzerland will disappoint and Ecuador is pretty solid in their own right, and playing on their home continent.

Spain's core is aging, but they have so many other talented players in their prime in the squad. Can't write them off, but I also expect they won't win.

Belgium is just overloaded with talent. But yes, lack of experience on such a big stage and with such high expectations could be a killer. Benteke will be missed, but Lukaku should have it covered up front.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
:confused:

---

The general chat about Belgium reminds me of Denmark 1986; a good team until they hit the self-destruct button.

haha or Colombia 94 :) tho from watching on ESPN 30 for 30 the two Escobars that team got hosed and threatened by the Cartels to make money on betting... what makes matters worse is my moms Italian. I go to the Final with my godfather. He buys me and 2 cousins all Baggio official jerseys at the stadium. We are so pumped...... he then misses the PK. My godfather tells us to hand him the jerseys and throws them away haha after spending like 500 bucks on them :D

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
As for Croatia over Mexico. Croatia has Rakitic(Sevilla World Class MF), Kova (Inter 19 but will be WC), and Modric at Real.... Come on that is a insane MF.

if you add Mandzukic, Wolfsburg's Olic & Perisic (both on form currently), Srna, Jelavic croatia sure is underrated

a really, really, REALLY annoying team to play against
Bosnia is hit or miss ... but Croatia is always a threat

IMHO the underdogs i'm looking out for will be Belgium & Japan... both are stoked with young talents

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
European teams never do well in South America. However I believe Spain will be the exception to that rule.
Sadly for England we are a pretty poor team at the moment. I think we may struggle to get out of the groups.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
takao,

The opening game looks good, but will the teams be cagey or will they see it as a chance to win the group?

Yeah, looking forward to seeing Japan.

crzdcolombian,

If my memory is correct, Baggio dragged Italy to the Final - unlikely to have been there without him. The miss is disappointing but the guy deserves credit.

Cheers,
OW

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
I was 4 years old at the game. I don't remember it or Colombia/Italys 94 team tho Colombians never stop talking about FING Pibe. I really want us to win not just because winning a WC will be awesome but seriously Falcao winning 3 world cups, curing cancer and scoring 40 goals each world cup and people still say Pibe and Asprilla are better then him haha

Its like when you talk to your grand parents and they mention the 50s or old school baseball. Or Babe Ruth and Pele. Its like it doesn't count if no hispanics were playing and are now 90% of the MLB. Being the only black dude playing and being god doesn't count to me either.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Mrs Jaffa got a little windfall earlier this week, and today spent part on it on a bigger telly for the bedroom so we can watch the World Cup in bed.

I think I've married quite well, there. :D

Mrs Jaffa certainly knows how to please her man.:D

A word of caution about predicting the World Cup, if it was that easy we wouldn't have to play any matches.
Like every World Cup of the past, this one will throw up an unexpected contender. Because although the form book is helpful, in a World Cup far more depends on every match result, which leads in turn to nerves both on and off the pitch.

The press and the fans both in the stadiums and at home, place an extreme burden on both players and managers.:eek:

One bad result for what ever reason can destroy years of preparation.:(

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
crzdcolombian; I take it you have fingers and everything else crossed for Falcao?

Mrs Jaffa got a little windfall earlier this week, and today spent part on it on a bigger telly for the bedroom so we can watch the World Cup in bed.

I think I've married quite well, there. :D

John and Yoko. It'll start as a local story and escalate from there. The FA Cup TV appearance to boot.

Cheers,
OW

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
crzdcolombian; I take it you have fingers and everything else crossed for Falcao?

John and Yoko. It'll start as a local story and escalate from there. The FA Cup TV appearance to boot.

Cheers,
OW

Falcao is going regardless if the coach has to push him on a wheel chair during games haha. I doubt he will play till the 2nd round or later in the tourney.

He is running, swimming and plays with the ball already. He just needs Match Fitness and hopefully he isn't afraid to get hit or tackled after a injury like he suffered. He uploaded a picture of his work out haha make me feel like such a fat ass. I am younger than him and didn't have a career threatening knee injury and he is still faster and in better shape then me

meme-falcao-futbol-lesion.jpg

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I have not seen such an under whelming start to a World Cup in the Netherlands since 1982. There are very few of these.

Screenshot2012-05-02at33045PM.jpg

Unlike other WC/EC there are very few flags and bunting hanging across streets. The general consensus is that this team will fail and fail badly. The older players are to old and the younger players are far to inexperienced. Even the advertising is tired and frankly boring, also unusually families are still booking vacations, and not staying home as is normal in other WC/EC years.
There is more animo in the press about Louis van Gaal and his move to Manchester Utd, Dutch TV are showing his infamous press interview back in 2002. Most people have only seen a few clips, they are due for a spectacular feast.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
European teams never do well in South America. However I believe Spain will be the exception to that rule.
Sadly for England we are a pretty poor team at the moment. I think we may struggle to get out of the groups.

Well we had a sweep stake at work where you all get two teams. I ended up with England (no chance) and Spain. You get a pay out for first, second and third so I think I should get some return!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.