Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 13, 2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Should Shinseki Resign?

Veterans Affairs has had some pretty major missteps brought out in public recently. These include covering up or attempting to hide facts from the American public.

The lying and dying at the VA - New York Post

A fatal wait: Veterans languish and die on a VA hospital's secret list - CNN

V.A. Officials Subpoenaed for Inquiry Into Wait List
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 01:36 PM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

He inherited a mess but it seems to have gotten worse. Time for him to go.
Old May 13, 2014, 01:45 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

He should be fired along with whoever is in charge of the locations where this is happening.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; May 13, 2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
ucfgrad93 is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 03:07 PM   #4
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Why the insane and elaborate cover-up by the Phoenix staff?

I'd think they should have bitch and moan that they don't have enough $/staff/whatever to see the people they need to see. Nothing gets Congress off its collective duff like suffering veterans...
Old May 13, 2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Cover ups tend to get the Congress motivated too
Southern Dad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 09:41 AM   #6
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

I stopped liking Shinseki since the implementation of the beret. So I can't answer it, I am bias.
Old May 14, 2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleFairy View Post
I stopped liking Shinseki since the implementation of the beret. So I can't answer it, I am bias.
Sure watered down the Ranger's elite look.
Old May 14, 2014, 09:46 AM   #8
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
Sure watered down the Ranger's elite look.

Well they went to a tan beret. It was awful, standing out in the hot sun with a black beret, burning your head. Not to mention no brim to keep the sun out of your eyes.

Rumors have it that it helped enlistment number though. High school kids do in fact prefer the branch of the military that wears a beret. (Not many Soldiers wore them properly though).
Old May 14, 2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Nothing gets Congress off its collective duff like suffering veterans...
Oh come on, we had a decade of treating returning veterans like dirt and it got very little press. Dead or damaged, the administration did its level best to keep them out of view, given that the wars were such an embarassment in the first place.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:49 AM   #10
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Oh come on, we had a decade of treating returning veterans like dirt and it got very little press. Dead or damaged, the administration did its level best to keep them out of view, given that the wars were such an embarassment in the first place.
Yes we have, but in defense of my VA I think they are pretty good. I don't think this current issue stemmed from Shinseki, and I am not sure what knowledge he had about the that VA and if he would have or could have done anything.

He may just have to fall on the sword since he's in charge.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes we have, but in defense of my VA I think they are pretty good. I don't think this current issue stemmed from Shinseki, and I am not sure what knowledge he had about the that VA and if he would have or could have done anything.

He may just have to fall on the sword since he's in charge.
If this was going on, on his watch and he didn't know about it, wouldn't that be even more alarming? That would tell me that the people working for him felt comfortable lying to him.
Old May 14, 2014, 01:19 PM   #12
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If this was going on, on his watch and he didn't know about it, wouldn't that be even more alarming? That would tell me that the people working for him felt comfortable lying to him.
I could see people hiding things from their superiors, though I don't know if something this big would be easy to hide or raise some sort of suspicion. I don't think it would be more alarming that he didn't know, especially if they are trying to keep their failures a secret. I don't know, this story I find alarming, but at the same time I haven't had enough time to dig into it. I hope they find the real issue and not just a patsy.
Old May 14, 2014, 01:27 PM   #13
satcomer
macrumors 68040

I feel this has been going on all the time! These situations have been going on for a long time. I feel that these people in charge generally have no idea what they are in charge of. I see this all the time and it always seems thar issues like these always get sweeped under the rug.

Also if you think this bad know wait until buricrates are in charge if everyone's healthcare. Yes I am a believer that the government program has never done anything right. They just male money for fat government contracts and such.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 01:30 PM   #14
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I could see people hiding things from their superiors, though I don't know if something this big would be easy to hide or raise some sort of suspicion. I don't think it would be more alarming that he didn't know, especially if they are trying to keep their failures a secret. I don't know, this story I find alarming, but at the same time I haven't had enough time to dig into it. I hope they find the real issue and not just a patsy.
If I had director or managers hiding things like this from me and I was in charge, there would be blood all over the floor from the rolling heads. Either Shinseki was aware and did nothing or he has a staff he needs to be replacing.
Old May 14, 2014, 01:46 PM   #15
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If I had director or managers hiding things like this from me and I was in charge, there would be blood all over the floor from the rolling heads. Either Shinseki was aware and did nothing or he has a staff he needs to be replacing.
I agree, but as usual I agree with most of what you say on this forum.
Old May 14, 2014, 02:21 PM   #16
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I agree, but as usual I agree with most of what you say on this forum.
Seeing that you are from the Iwate Prefecture, pray tell us what do you think the Japanese people would demand if this type of scandal were to happen in your country?
Old May 14, 2014, 02:32 PM   #17
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Seeing that you are from the Iwate Prefecture, pray tell us what do you think the Japanese people would demand if this type of scandal were to happen in your country?
I am actually from NY, but my wife is from Japan. Right now I am back in NY. However this wouldn't happen in Japan. They don't have the best healthcare in the world, but they have the best customer service in the world.

In Japan you can walk in an see a doctor almost any time. Often they don't have the best medicines available like people here in the USA get. The often get medicine that is a generation behind what we have here, and people often opt to go to the USA for major surgery.
Old May 14, 2014, 02:48 PM   #18
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I am actually from NY, but my wife is from Japan. Right now I am back in NY. However this wouldn't happen in Japan. They don't have the best healthcare in the world, but they have the best customer service in the world.

In Japan you can walk in an see a doctor almost any time. Often they don't have the best medicines available like people here in the USA get. The often get medicine that is a generation behind what we have here, and people often opt to go to the USA for major surgery.
Customer Service is important.
Old May 15, 2014, 07:53 PM   #19
Naimfan
macrumors 68030

He never should have been appointed, let alone confirmed.

So yes, he should resign.

Too many of my soldiers are being absolutely screwed by the VA, and it has gotten worse under Shinseki.
Old May 15, 2014, 08:07 PM   #20
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

Secretary of Veteran Affairs, Eric K. Shinseki, ought to be given the Congressional Medal of Honor given the historic significance of what he has done with the VA.

The United States has a long and storied tradition of defecating on military enlisted and veterans.

Shinseki is merely keeping up with established historical precedent.

/not that that is good, I'm just pointing out the facts

You keep setting 'em up SD, I'll keep knockin 'em down.
Old May 16, 2014, 04:12 AM   #21
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanW View Post
Secretary of Veteran Affairs, Eric K. Shinseki, ought to be given the Congressional Medal of Honor given the historic significance of what he has done with the VA.

The United States has a long and storied tradition of defecating on military enlisted and veterans.

Shinseki is merely keeping up with established historical precedent.

/not that that is good, I'm just pointing out the facts

You keep setting 'em up SD, I'll keep knockin 'em down.
Quote:
Conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty
I'm hoping that you were being very sarcastic when speaking about the Medal of Honor. Nothing he has done is even in the neighborhood of qualifying.

Personally, I believe the President should fire him. If he knew this was going on, then he put the administration in a bad light. One of his jobs is to keep the President informed. If he didn't know it was going on, then he has a bigger problem.
Old May 16, 2014, 04:33 AM   #22
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

President Obama made a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars in the Phoenix Convention Center, August 17, 2009. This link is to the White House's own website, I don't think anyone will challenge it as a reputable source.

Keep in mind, the Democrats controlled the House, Senate and Oval Office from Jan 2009 - Jan 2011.

Quote:
Whether you've left the service in 2009 or 1949, we will fulfill our responsibility to deliver the benefits and care that you earned. And that's why I've pledged to build nothing less than a 21st-century VA. And I picked a lifelong soldier and wounded warrior from Vietnam to lead this fight, General Ric Shinseki. (Applause.)

We're dramatically increasing funding for veterans health care. This includes hundreds of millions of dollars to serve veterans in rural areas, as well as the unique needs of our growing number of women veterans. We're restoring access to VA health care for a half-million veterans who lost their eligibility in recent years -- our Priority 8 veterans.

And since there's been so much misinformation out there about health insurance reform, let me say this: One thing that reform won't change is veterans' health care. No one is going to take away your benefits -- that is the plain and simple truth. (Applause.) We're expanding access to your health care, not reducing it. (Applause.)

We're also keeping our promise on concurrent receipt. My budget ensures that our severely disabled veterans will receive both their military retired pay and their VA disability benefits. (Applause.) And I look forward to signing legislation on advanced appropriations for the VA so the medical care you need is never held up by budget delays. (Applause.)

I've also directed Secretary Shinseki to focus on a top priority -- reducing homelessness among veterans. (Applause.) After serving their country, no veteran should be sleeping on the streets. (Applause.) No veteran. We should have zero tolerance for that.

And we're keeping our promise to fulfill another top priority at the VA -- cutting the red tape and inefficiencies that cause backlogs and delays in the claims process. (Applause.) This spring, I directed the Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs to create one unified lifetime electronic health record for the members of the armed forces -- a single electronic record, with privacy guaranteed, that will stay with them forever. Because after fighting for America, you should not have to fight over paperwork to receive the benefits that you've earned. (Applause.)

Today, I can announce that we're taking another step. I've directed my Chief Performance Officer, my Chief Technology Officer and my Chief Information Officer to join with Secretary Shinseki in a new reform effort. We're launching a new competition to capture the very best ideas of our VA employees who work with you every day.

We're going to challenge each of our 57 regional VA offices to come up with the best ways of doing business, of harnessing the best information technologies, of cutting red tape and breaking through the bureaucracy. And then we're going to fund the best ideas and put them into action, all with a simple mission: cut those backlogs, slash those wait times, deliver your benefits sooner. (Applause.) I know you've heard this for years, but the leadership and resources we're providing this time means that we're going to be able to do it. That is our mission, and we are going to make it happen.(Applause.)
Old May 16, 2014, 08:28 PM   #23
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm hoping that you were being very sarcastic when speaking about the Medal of Honor. Nothing he has done is even in the neighborhood of qualifying.

Personally, I believe the President should fire him. If he knew this was going on, then he put the administration in a bad light. One of his jobs is to keep the President informed. If he didn't know it was going on, then he has a bigger problem.
Given the Roberts Court and its bestowing personhood upon Corporate Charters, ignoring the human condition and the human predilection toward corruption by money and wealth, its rulings indicating a longing for the good old days of acceptable and institutional systemic discrimination and in general its fascist leanings with regard to available litigious redress by the common man . . . . . .

. . . . . . sarcasm is not the word you're looking for; the word is satire.

Don't forget, BENGHAZI.

GOP/Republicans pedantically slash and cut Department of State funding that goes directly to supporting Embassy security . . . . . then when the inevitable consequences of those spending cuts occur, namely, an attack on a U.S. Embassy, the very people that enabled the compromised security point their fingers at everyone else and play the blame game for political points.

That's not sarcasm either, just the unvarnished truth.

/hammer, meet anvil
Old May 16, 2014, 08:33 PM   #24
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanW View Post
Given the Roberts Court and its bestowing personhood upon Corporate Charters, ignoring the human condition and the human predilection toward corruption by money and wealth, its rulings indicating a longing for the good old days of acceptable and institutional systemic discrimination and in general its fascist leanings with regard to available litigious redress by the common man . . . . . .

. . . . . . sarcasm is not the word you're looking for; the word is satire.

Don't forget, BENGHAZI.

GOP/Republicans pedantically slash and cut Department of State funding that goes directly to supporting Embassy security . . . . . then when the inevitable consequences of those spending cuts occur, namely, an attack on a U.S. Embassy, the very people that enabled the compromised security point their fingers at everyone else and play the blame game for political points.

That's not sarcasm either, just the unvarnished truth.

/hammer, meet anvil
All well and good but the President Obama stated that he'd fix this 2009 when the Democrats controlled the House and Senate. But if blaming the Republicans makes you feel better.
Old May 16, 2014, 08:48 PM   #25
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
All well and good but the President Obama stated that he'd fix this 2009 when the Democrats controlled the House and Senate. But if blaming the Republicans makes you feel better.
No, no, no. It has nothing to do with blame.

If I might channel Joe Friday, just the facts.

Just like a few years back, the Office of the Vice President outed a CIA Non-Official Covert agent, compromising an entire intelligence network operation setup to monitor the proliferation of nuclear weapon grade material in the Middle East.

That act cleared the table for accusations and claims of Iran engaging in nuclear weapon development, without the slightest concern for contradictory evidence to be furnished by that covert intelligence network.

No blame, just facts.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues