Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 13, 2014, 02:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Logic Pro X Updated With Improved 12-Core Mac Pro Support, App Enhancements and Fixes

Apple today updated its professional audio software Logic Pro X to version 10.0.7, adding support for 24 processing threads on 12-core Mac Pro models along with several new features to enhance the functionality of the app and an array of bug fixes.

Quote:
What's new

- Now supports 24 processing threads on 12-core Mac Pro models
- The current volume, pan, and send values for all selected tracks can now be inserted at the playhead position
- Enabling Low Latency Mode no longer creates sync issues for Drummer, Ultrabeat, Native Instruments Machine and other plug-ins with integrated step sequencers
- Automation can now be copied and pasted to any location using the Marquee tool
- Adds an option for MIDI volume and pan data to control the instrument plug-in instead of the channel strip
- Resolves several snap and alignment guide issues
- Various fixes that improve XML import and export with Final Cut Pro X
- Contains multiple enhancements to Accessibility
Logic Pro X 10.0.7 can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $199.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Logic Pro X Updated With Improved 12-Core Mac Pro Support, App Enhancements and Fixes
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:22 PM   #2
cymerc
macrumors member

Ok, Xcode is next! Right???
cymerc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:24 PM   #3
thenightwatcher
macrumors newbie

That should make some Logic users happy (who are getting beat up by other DAW users, ehem Cubase users)
thenightwatcher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:24 PM   #4
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Finally! The great wait is over!
tevion5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:25 PM   #5
eagandale4114
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymerc View Post
Probably at WWDC.
Old May 13, 2014, 02:45 PM   #6
peglegjack
macrumors regular

I personally don't understand the idea of using 12 cores for Logic (or any music software), but I suppose it's not for me.
peglegjack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:59 PM   #7
dannys1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegjack View Post
I personally don't understand the idea of using 12 cores for Logic (or any music software), but I suppose it's not for me.
Then you've obviously never used music software with multiple plugins. CPU gets eaten up FAST.
Old May 13, 2014, 03:03 PM   #8
grayter1
macrumors newbie

Just did a quick test of an XML file from Final Cut X. Looks like they may be on the way to getting it working. Haven't had a chance to round-trip it yet, but so far so good.

tg
grayter1 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 03:18 PM   #9
4God
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Just did a quick test of an XML file from Final Cut X. Looks like they may be on the way to getting it working. Haven't had a chance to round-trip it yet, but so far so good.

tg
Nice, would like to hear more about this. Please post results of round-tripping if you can.
4God is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 03:25 PM   #10
nt5672
macrumors member

I wish I could get just a little understanding of how Apple prioritizes its updates.
nt5672 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 03:28 PM   #11
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys1 View Post
Then you've obviously never used music software with multiple plugins. CPU gets eaten up FAST.
I wouldn't put it that dramatically. I did 96k/24bit recording on a quad core G5 a while back and would run nearly 30 real time effects - reverbs, compressors/limiters/gates, the usual. I can't recall the CPU going above 50% capacity.

That was an 9 year old machine, and I have to say peeking back in on the digital audio industry, not a lot has changed. Most of the prosumer gear is still 96k/24bit while the pro studios go for 196kHz, but that was around back in 2005 as well. The one thing that has changed is that desktop and mobile CPUs have gotten a ton more powerful with more and more cores.
Old May 13, 2014, 03:36 PM   #12
alexmshore
macrumors newbie

Supporting 24 processing threads on 12-core Mac Pro models is pretty cool, however not sure about this affecting a lot of people at this point? But WOW thats a bit list of changes on the full release notes!

Will be interesting to see if they have fixed the automation problems.

Old May 13, 2014, 04:05 PM   #13
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightwatcher View Post
That should make some Logic users happy (who are getting beat up by other DAW users, ehem Cubase users)
Cubase is as reliable as a pensioner's heartbeat. ProTools for audio, Logic for MIDI/AUs. Cubase's support with older OSs is nothing short of appalling and I'm surprised people even use it for anything these days.
Old May 13, 2014, 04:19 PM   #14
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegjack View Post
It's not rocket science, there are people doing sessions that are big and beefy enough to use that much CPU power. Most people have no idea how demanding audio apps can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
nearly 30 real time effects...
That's a meaningless number since even within the same plugin category some plugins require vastly more power than others. Some you can run hundreds, others bog a machine with only a handful. One example, try running Diva in the highest quality setting.

Release notes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4498
milo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 04:31 PM   #15
Jacquesvw
macrumors regular

Let's hope Aperture gets some attention next.
Jacquesvw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 04:35 PM   #16
Rog210
macrumors regular

Quote:
I wouldn't put it that dramatically. I did 96k/24bit recording on a quad core G5 a while back and would run nearly 30 real time effects - reverbs, compressors/limiters/gates, the usual. I can't recall the CPU going above 50% capacity.

That was an 9 year old machine, and I have to say peeking back in on the digital audio industry, not a lot has changed. Most of the prosumer gear is still 96k/24bit while the pro studios go for 196kHz, but that was around back in 2005 as well. The one thing that has changed is that desktop and mobile CPUs have gotten a ton more powerful with more and more cores.
Latency. Try recording a guitar track with a 1024 buffer, it's horrible. More CPU = smaller buffer = less latency.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Cubase is as reliable as a pensioner's heartbeat. ProTools for audio, Logic for MIDI/AUs. Cubase's support with older OSs is nothing short of appalling and I'm surprised people even use it for anything these days.
I use Cubase all the time. The latest update is rock solid.
Rog210 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 04:45 PM   #17
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog210 View Post
Latency. Try recording a guitar track with a 1024 buffer, it's horrible. More CPU = smaller buffer = less latency.[COLOR="#808080"]
Kind of... its true that you need CPU cycles to deal with I/O, but unless you're running input effects (i can't imagine why) then the input buffer size is more constrained by how your machine is sized for I/O - what your RAM and disk throughput looks like.
Old May 13, 2014, 04:54 PM   #18
rei101
macrumors 6502a

I still remember this 1st rule in composition... if with 4 tracks does not sound, with 64 neither.

I try to keep my pieces as simple as they can get even I do trance and techno music. I really like to write things from my 12" Powerbook! But I like a good mic, a good preamp and good monitoring. In my iMac I have Logic an I love the arpeggiator. But still, the magic starts at the arrangement.
rei101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 06:10 PM   #19
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys1 View Post
Very true! I had a project with 110 software instrument tracks on my Core 2 Duo iMac, and it got overloaded many times.
Old May 13, 2014, 06:18 PM   #20
DanPhillips
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Kind of... its true that you need CPU cycles to deal with I/O, but unless you're running input effects (i can't imagine why) then the input buffer size is more constrained by how your machine is sized for I/O - what your RAM and disk throughput looks like.
If by "Input effects" you mean "effects processing for live guitars, vocals, etc." then…well, hopefully that answers your question.

No-one who is a serious user of audio production applications has any question about the benefits of greater CPU power. As CPU power increases, we are asking more of our plug-ins in terms of both functionality and fidelity. I don't see that slowing down any time soon.
DanPhillips is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 06:22 PM   #21
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
No, 10.9.3 at the end of May.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 07:07 PM   #22
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

I just bought a pair of Beats headphones so now I can make some chart topping hits
Aluminum213 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 07:47 PM   #23
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquesvw View Post
Let's hope Aperture gets some attention next.
Agreed, the only pro-app I actually use.

----------

Quote:
I'd like xCode to support other programming languages, especially PHP natively and without a plugin.
unplugme71 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 08:07 PM   #24
grayter1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4God View Post
Nice, would like to hear more about this. Please post results of round-tripping if you can.
I've had a chance to play with it more. Apple fixed a lot, but there's still some general weirdness going on. 'Roles' come through great now - if you remembered to define them before you export the XML.

Any audio mixed in FCPX comes in as automation in Logic.

The funkiness comes with the conversion of stereo music tracks placed in FCPX. When opened as an XML in Logic X, the tracks are converted to mono tracks, but the audio file itself remains stereo (on a mono track). You have to hit the Input button to 're-assign' it as a stereo track. After that, I deleted the second mono track (holding a stereo file) and went about my business.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's odd.

The round-trip works. I was able to clean up the audio mix for college project that my son did, and send it back to FCPX as an XML export.

Overall it's an improvement from where it was before the update. I could see myself using Logic to score and fix dialouge a bit more. It ain't Pro Tools, but it never will be.

tg

Last edited by grayter1; May 13, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
grayter1 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 08:32 PM   #25
alvindarkness
macrumors regular

Quote:
The one thing that has changed is that desktop and mobile CPUs have gotten a ton more powerful with more and more cores.
What else has changed is that now you have plugins that chew that extra CPU power and spit it out. Try running a few instances of acustica's nebula on modern hardware. The other trend these days is to put some form of channel strip emuation on every channel of a project. Combine it with modern projects that are well over 60 tracks, multiple plugins per track, and you have a situation that is quite different to what you would have experienced on your G5.
alvindarkness is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion