Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceman13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2014
My Mac just began showing this on the right side of the display.

F2yDPmW.jpg

If I make pressure on the left side towards me as shown in the picture below the problem goes away.

LhANOCs.jpg

What could it be ?? Is there a connector on the hinge that needs cleaning or something ?? Please help !! :(

**It has never been dropped**

Last edited:

triplelucky

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Tucson, Arizona, USA
The LVDS cable has two ends. One end is at the logic board and the other end connects to the back side of the LCD panel, on the bottom.

The cable end on the logic board is pretty easy to check. The other end you would need to remove the whole top display, remove the front glass and remove the LCD panel.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Either the logic board or the GPU. I would give Apple a call and see what they can do. Just know that we here feel your pain and wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it goes :apple:

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Either the logic board or the GPU. I would give Apple a call and see what they can do. Just know that we here feel your pain and wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it goes :apple:

Umm, no. Adjusting the screen position doesn't make damaged GPU/logic board symptoms disappear. It's like people copy and paste the same thing on every post about screen artifacts without even reading the OP or even knowing what a broken GPU or logic board does.

iceman13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2014
Thanks for the feedback guys ! It was also my first guess that it would be a bad cable or connection. I will check that LVDS cable as soon as possible. As some of you said if I move the lid or adjust it in some way sometimes the problem goes away, so its logical that the problem lies somewhere in the hinge. Thanks again. Will let you know.

P.S.
This laptop has served me for 5 years now, daily use at least 10 hours average and being in and out of my backpack everyday on college. Recently upgraded to 8gb RAM and new battery. Still going strong, seems like it would last me another 5 years of good use. First time it has given me any kind of problem :/

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
P.S.
This laptop has served me for 5 years now, daily use at least 10 hours average and being in and out of my backpack everyday on college. Recently upgraded to 8gb RAM and new battery. Still going strong, seems like it would last me another 5 years of good use. First time it has given me any kind of problem :/

I wish I could have that kind of luck...I almost always have a computer die within the first couple of years of buying it, whether it is a RAM issue, a HD issue, a GPU issue, a logic board issue, I've gotten it all. Unfortunately, my most recent computer, a 2012 cMBP is looking like it won't break for a while. Possibly even right up until my applecare expires in 2015, and this is the first time I have ever gotten applecare, so I kinda hope it fails soon, just to make the money worth it.

iceman13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2014
I wish I could have that kind of luck...I almost always have a computer die within the first couple of years of buying it, whether it is a RAM issue, a HD issue, a GPU issue, a logic board issue, I've gotten it all. Unfortunately, my most recent computer, a 2012 cMBP is looking like it won't break for a while. Possibly even right up until my applecare expires in 2015, and this is the first time I have ever gotten applecare, so I kinda hope it fails soon, just to make the money worth it.

Yeah, it seems like I've been really lucky with this one, before buying this I had a HP that only lasted 3 weeks before it randomly began shutting down, immediately went to Best Buy to get a refund. The MBP has given me really good service but right know I'm looking for something with more horsepower and the 15" Retina seems overpriced for me. For that reason I've been looking at the Lenovo Y510p, a friend has one and has been brainwashing me for a while lol.
Hope your new MBP lasts longer than the other ones xD Best wishes!

iceman13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2014
No luck with the LVDS cable. It appears to be a faulty LCD panel then... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.