Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
According to CNN they believe/think/guess that right before the iPhone 6 comes out that most or all US carriers will drop subsidized phones w/ contracts and either have you pay the phone outright or let you have the iPhone for free with a contract and raise your bill pretty darn high.

Neither of those options work out for me. I can't afford to buy an iPhone outright... and I can't afford my bill to be higher than what it is now. Even though I am always skeptic until announcements are officially made... I saved my butt back in 2011.

I read on Macrumors that Verizon was "supposedly" planning on getting rid of unlimited data before the iPhone 4S launched. So I got an iPhone 4 about 2 weeks after reading that to be locked in unlimited data for 2 years. I think it was a month or so later that Verizon did axe the unlimited data plan so the "rumor" was true.

If these rumors are true, I would be screwed. I still have my iPhone 4 so it might be time to get a 5S soon. The link to the article is posted below.

CNN Money
http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/14/tec...obile/iphone-6-cost.json?category=Latest News

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I doubt it.
Dont believe everything you hear.
Wait till its actually announced and more details are given by your particular carrier on where, how, when etc...
Right now there is actually more options that ever before. You can buy subsidized with a 2 year contract, you can buy full price and you can buy with one of these plans that spread the payments of the phone in 2 years without a contract.
So I really really doubt it they will just all of a sudden stop and end them all and just give you those other 2 options above.

On the other question if you're on an unlimited data plan with verizon if you want to update your device and get the subsidized price by signing a 2 year contract then you will have to lose your data plan.
Unless you pay full price for the phone and then you get to keep your unlimited data plan still but you said you cant afford that option so just letting you know.
Either one or the other option will have to go or you just stay with your unlimited data and keep your iphone 4.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I certainly think this is possible. The carriers hate subsidizing the iPhone. And people are so addicted to it I think they would find a way to get it even without it being subsidized. Even if they can't afford it.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Your bill isn't going to be more expensive.

Each line on the AT&T Next plan costs $15 instead of $35 on the old plans. So, add in the monthly cost of the phone (depending on which model you end up with) and you're right back to that $35 range (maybe 45 to 50 if you got the absolute top end phone).

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
On the other question if you're on an unlimited data plan with verizon if you want to update your device and get the subsidized price by signing a 2 year contract then you will have to lose your data plan.

No. I have another option. I am one of three lines on my Verizon account. All three are eligible for upgrades. Obviously as you know, if I upgrade mine I lose my unlimited data. So basically I never want to upgrade my line. Verizon said I could upgrade one of the two other lines and then right away during the same transaction switch that new phone over to my line. So basically I'm "stealing" one of the other lines upgrade.

Now the one thing I didn't think to ask Verizon.... the other two lines are old flip phones. My parents are keeping them and I just buy new batteries off eBay for them. They don't want a new phone anytime soon. But the way Verizon does its pricing now, that may screw it all up anyway.

Right now our bill reads as:

Main account/line: $50 (700 shared min)
Line 2: $10
Line 3: $10
UNL DATA for Line 3: $30
UNL M2M texts + 500 add. texts for Line 3: $10
Insurance on Line 3: $10

So it's $130 with tax for 2 flip phones and an iPhone 4.

But now Verizon's new way of pricing is $30 per regular phone and $40 per smartphone.

Flip phones (x2) = $60
iPhone = $40
MOnthy access = $50 (2GB not UNLIMITED)
Insurance = $10

= $170 w/ tax

So if I upgrade one of the other lines, and Verizon has to update the whole account we will pay $40 more for the same phones and go from UNLIMITED DATA to 2GB.

That is not feasible as well. OMG. Im starting to get very frustrated. I wish I had a friend that had a 4S they would let me have. I checked eBay and 32GB 4S's are going for $200-$250 still!!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You might be right as the two friends I have at the ATT store both told me that big changes are around the corner and that the subsidy plan may be no more.

I always pay outright for my phones but wish they would go ahead and sell the phone unlocked.

ktjensen

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Get a credit card. Buy the iPhone. Pay off credit card. If you do the math you pay less this way over two years.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
You might be right as the two friends I have at the ATT store both told me that big changes are around the corner and that the subsidy plan may be no more.

I always pay outright for my phones but wish they would go ahead and sell the phone unlocked.

I can assure you your friends at the att store know about as much as you do.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Get a credit card. Buy the iPhone. Pay off credit card. If you do the math you pay less this way over two years.

For many these days a credit card is not an option.

I can assure you your friends at the att store know about as much as you do.

Never said that they actually "know" what is going to happen. I will be the first to agree they are clueless. BUT, you can see how the market is movong away from paying for phones with a contract.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

This is only a good idea if you can pay the card off right away. Otherwise you're paying interest on the balance.

I'd take advantage of the carrier financing option because they're not charging interest.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
It looks like you are going to have to buy the iPhone at full retail if you want to upgrade and not lose your unlimited data and not have to change your plan due to Verizon Edge.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
FYI. If u are on Verizon and have other lines that don't have unlimited data. You can always use the transfer upgrade loophole to retain unlimited data.

Line a has unlimited and upgrade eligible. Line 2 has tiered data and not upgrade eligible. "Transfer upgrade from line 1 to line 2". But $199 phone subsidized with line 2 now.

Bam. U keep unlimited data.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Why exactly are they trying to get rid of phone subsidiaries?

Because lines 2-5 are usually getting better deals than line 1 with the subsidy. The carriers got caught with their pants down for the race to brag how many "subscribers" they got it. That's why. It's the simple truth most people don't understand.

So lines 2-5 get the same subsidy has line 1. People with one line only usually got ripped off while people with multiple lines got better deals.

So lines 2-5 which generate only $10/extra per line got the same $400-450 subsidy as line 1. I could upgrade line 2. Sell off the phone and my mom would still keep using her flip phone which she is perfectly happy with. I got a great deal this way.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Neither of those options work out for me. I can't afford to buy an iPhone outright... and I can't afford my bill to be higher than what it is now.
Then how can you afford the $199 plus tax plus $36 dollar activation fee for a subsidized phone?

If the subsidized price goes to $0, the upfront subsidized cost you apparently could/can afford before is basically what would be rolled into your higher bill.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I read that article yesterday and the way I understood is that major telcos would be pushing people away from subsidies with heavy advertising gimmicks and sales techniques, not eliminating them completely. It's basically a "buyer beware" article warning that these changes are designed to benefit the carriers and NOT the consumers. The last paragraph clearly eludes to this.

So you might want to ask your carrier for an old-fashioned $200 plan with a two-year contract if you want to buy an iPhone 6. If your cell phone company is pushing a different kind of plan with the promise of big savings, remember that there's more in it for them than you.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I read that article yesterday and the way I understood is that major telcos would be pushing people away from subsidies with heavy advertising gimmicks and sales techniques, not eliminating them completely. It's basically a "buyer beware" article warning that these changes are designed to benefit the carriers and NOT the consumers. The last paragraph clearly eludes to this.

So you might want to ask your carrier for an old-fashioned $200 plan with a two-year contract if you want to buy an iPhone 6. If your cell phone company is pushing a different kind of plan with the promise of big savings, remember that there's more in it for them than you.

Verizon is the worst of all the carriers in terms of savings if you bring your own phone (zero discount) or pay full price (very little savings unless pay full price on their edge program but still offer zero savings if you pay off your phone.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Verizon is the worst of all the carriers in terms of savings if you bring your own phone (zero discount) or pay full price (very little savings unless pay full price on their edge program but still offer zero savings if you pay off your phone.

Agreed. I have Verizon, and plan to stick with them because their coverage is far superior to anyone else where I live. But their Edge program is horrible for consumers, especially if you're not a data hog (our family uses <3gb/month on 3 lines). I plan to re-up on a new subsidized 2 year contract for the 6.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Then how can you afford the $199 plus tax plus $36 dollar activation fee for a subsidized phone?

If the subsidized price goes to $0, the upfront subsidized cost you apparently could/can afford before is basically what would be rolled into your higher bill.

Plenty of ways. Right now Verizon has $100 off any smartphone and my iPhone 4 is $100 trade. BOOM. $200. Also if I got the phone at $0 for extra monthly charge that would be $30-40 extra at least plus the extra $40 Verizon would charge monthly when they upgrade our out of date service to Verizon More Eveything.

So after 24 months the $0 upfront would cost me am extra $1,920!!!!!!!

NO THANKS!!

----------

Wow, that is terrible advice.

OP, or anyone else, please don't do that.

:) Thanks. I wasn't even going to respond to that suggestion. I've seen many to down that slippery slope.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Plenty of ways. Right now Verizon has $100 off any smartphone and my iPhone 4 is $100 trade. BOOM. $200. Also if I got the phone at $0 for extra monthly charge that would be $30-40 extra at least plus the extra $40 Verizon would charge monthly when they upgrade our out of date service to Verizon More Eveything.

So after 24 months the $0 upfront would cost me am extra $1,920!!!!!!!

NO THANKS!!

----------

It sounds like the problem is Verizon trying to screw you more than anything else. If all of your premises are correct and you're targeting something other than the iPhone 6, the one way you listed might continue to work.

HKPDW

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
If I can't get it subsidized, I won't buy it.

I've actually been watching Youtube videos on: How to replace the iPhone 5 battery :cool:

I may also switch from ATT to AIO or Straight Talk...

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
I know phone carries need to make money but when (1) you are VERY tight budgeted or (2) it seems they are raping you, it's hard to get the plan that's right for you.

Verizon sells certified pre-owned 4S's for $200 off contract. I think I'm going to trade them my 4, give them $100 and just be stuck with a 4S on my old plan for a few years. It's better than nothing. I know getting a 4S in 2014 sounds silly but you gottah do, what you gottah do. At least I will gain a little more speed and Siri.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I know phone carries need to make money but when (1) you are VERY tight budgeted or (2) it seems they are raping you, it's hard to get the plan that's right for you.

Verizon sells certified pre-owned 4S's for $200 off contract. I think I'm going to trade them my 4, give them $100 and just be stuck with a 4S on my old plan for a few years. It's better than nothing. I know getting a 4S in 2014 sounds silly but you gottah do, what you gottah do. At least I will gain a little more speed and Siri.

If you are very tight budgeted I would hang on to that iPhone til it dies. I don't think getting a 4S and using it "for a few years" is a feasible plan.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012

If you know you will be with Verizon for another 2 years, I would just do what you said before and get 5S. It makes no sense to keep paying your subsidized monthly service bill and pay same $200 to get 4S instead of 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.