Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
I'm purchasing a new 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD, and I've done a lot of research on how I can install Maverick's 'as new', but get a lot of conflicting answers, so I'm looking to here for help.

Once I install my SSD (straight out from the box), can I then press cmd + option + R (or whatever it is) to go into recovery mode, and then make it download Maverick's straight from the net?

Some people are saying that this will download and install the same OS as what it had when it was originally purchased, but will NOT work with Snow Leopard. My 2011 MBP came with Snow Leopard, and I have no install discs. So is it true that I will not be able to do internet recovery?

If not, I know I can copy my current hard drive contents to a back up, then use software (like Carbon Copy) to throw it on to the SSD and THEN format then erase everything on the SSD leaving a blank copy of Mavericks.

For what it's worth, I keep regular Time Machine backups. Can I install the SSD, and then recover from a backup?

Thanks.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I'm purchasing a new 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD, and I've done a lot of research on how I can install Maverick's 'as new', but get a lot of conflicting answers, so I'm looking to here for help.

Once I install my SSD (straight out from the box), can I then press cmd + option + R (or whatever it is) to go into recovery mode, and then make it download Maverick's straight from the net?
No, only Lion via the EFI internet recovery option. This option is available, if you update the EFI to the newest version. You can then download Mavericks from the MAS (via Lion). Tools like DiskMaker X can create a bootable version of the Mavericks installer.

Regarding backups: Disk Utility can make full disk backups (read-only). No third party tools necessary. Time Machine alone is a bit unreliable, IMHO.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You might do this if you have an external USB enclosure :

1. put the new SSD in the enclosure

2. using Disk Utility, format the SSD (Mac OS extended journaled, GUID partition scheme)

3. download Mavericks from the App Store (*), then select the SSD as destination when installing

4. open the Mac and swap the drives (HD/SSD)

5. place the HD in the external enclosure

6. use Setup assistant, or Migration assistant, or copy over manually your data/apps/settings from the external HD to the (internal) SSD.

(*) if you want to keep a copy of the installer, save (copy) it to another place before installing, as the installer will delete itself automatically once the install is completed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do what Bruno09 suggests in reply #3.

I suggest you spend about $20 for one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Docking-...400163055&sr=8-1&keywords=syba+usb3+sata+dock

Put the SSD into the dock, connect to the Mac, initialize with Disk Utility.

Now you're in a position to set up the new drive in any way you wish, BEFORE you do the drive swap.

You can "prep" it -and- TEST IT to be sure everything is ok, before going further.

Also -- very important that you have the RIGHT TOOLS for the job. Mis-sized tools can strip out the small screws.

Also -- after you take the old drive out, you can keep using it in the dock, for a backup, or for any other purpose. The dock can become a VERY handy piece of equipment to have around...

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
What I did was this:

I bought a 8GB USB Drive and before I pulled the stock Apple HDD (Toshiba), I downloaded Mavericks from the App Store, so I had the installer file. I followed instructions found here.

I then did a Time Machine backup and put in the SSD, then I booted off of the USB Drive and installed Mavericks 10.9.1 (at the time) clean on the SSD.

I then restored my files with Time Machine.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
What I did was this:

I bought a 8GB USB Drive and before I pulled the stock Apple HDD (Toshiba), I downloaded Mavericks from the App Store, so I had the installer file. I followed instructions found here.

I then did a Time Machine backup and put in the SSD, then I booted off of the USB Drive and installed Mavericks 10.9.1 (at the time) clean on the SSD.

I then restored my files with Time Machine.

Thanks, this sounds probably the most comfortable option for me.

When it came to installing Mavericks on the SSD, was it just a matter of booting up from the USB, and then launching the install Mavericks app, and then selecting the destination drive (in this case, the SSD)?

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
Thanks, this sounds probably the most comfortable option for me.

When it came to installing Mavericks on the SSD, was it just a matter of booting up from the USB, and then launching the install Mavericks app, and then selecting the destination drive (in this case, the SSD)?

The procedure mentioned above (USB installation) was similar to what I did with my late 2011 MBP and Mountain Lion.

1. Download Mountain Lion (in your case Mavericks) from app store and make the USB installer. Put the USB installer to one side for the moment.
2. Then I made sure I had a backup. You might want to note down a few things like username/password, hostname, apple-id/password, language, keyboard layout (most likely US since you are in New Zealand) and anything else it might ask you for during the installation (e.g. macrumors password if you need to ask for help!). If you use wi-fi, then your home/office access point details would be good to know, but if possible use wired ethernet.
3. Then I ran the Mountain Lion (Mavericks) installer app from hard drive to upgrade the existing OS X on the hard drive. Perhaps this step is not needed, but the reason for doing this was that my next Time Machine backup would be at the same level as the system I wish to have on the SSD and any files restored at the end, would be compatible with the new OS X installation on the SSD.
4. Then I made another Time Machine backup.
5. Install the SSD, boot from the USB and it will guide you through the process to use Disk Utility to format the SSD and start to install Mountain Lion (Mavericks). The clean installtion process downloads any additional files needed. It might ask a few questions along the way, such as country/region, language, wireless access point info, which you made a note of earlier.
6. Install applications and restore files from Time Machine backup as needed.

Last edited:

Broph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
The procedure mentioned above (USB installation) was similar to what I did with my late 2011 MBP and Mountain Lion.

1. Download Mountain Lion (in your case Mavericks) from app store and make the USB installer. Put the USB installer to one side for the moment.
2. Then I made sure I had a backup. You might want to note down a few things like username/password, hostname, apple-id/password, language, keyboard layout (most likely US since you are in New Zealand) and anything else it might ask you for during the installation. e.g. macrumors password if you need to ask for help!). If you use wi-fi, then your home/office access point details would be good to know, but if possible use wired ethernet.
3. Then I ran the Mountain Lion (Mavericks) installer app from hard drive to upgrade the existing OS X on the hard drive. Perhaps this step is not needed, but the reason for doing this was that my next Time Machine backup would be at the same level as the system I wish to have on the SSD and any files restored at the end, would be compatible with the new OS X installation on the SSD.
4. Then I made another Time Machine backup.
5. Install the SSD, boot from the USB and it will guide you through the process to use Disk Utility to format the SSD and start to install Mountain Lion (Mavericks). The clean installtion process downloads any additional files needed. It might ask a few questions along the way, such as country/region, language, wireless access point info, which you made a note of earlier.
6. Install applications and restore files from Time Machine backup as needed.

Awesome! Just what I was after. Thanks so much for explaining this :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
For what it's worth, I keep regular Time Machine backups. Can I install the SSD, and then recover from a backup?

I'm assuming from your comments this TM backup was made with Mavericks?

If so, just install the SSD then option key boot to the TM disk. You will get this screen.

Xm7rMyl.png

Launch Disk Util and erase the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then quit Disk Util. Now click restore from Time Machine backup at the top. That will put Mavericks and all your apps and data back on the new SSD.

Afterward, reboot and go to System Prefs and in the Startup Disk pane select the new SSD as the boot drive.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
What I did was this:

An even easier way is a single Terminal command - I've used this to create a USB drive and a SD card with Mavericks for troubleshooting purposes. The SD card is really fast, but I run across a few Macs that still only have USB ports. I just keep these in my computer bag because I never know when I might need them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.