Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
hopefully wont be long til its on steam, any ideas Edwin or Elie?

Hitman: Absolution - Elite Edition for Mac now out in the field

15 May 2014

Hitman: Absolution – Elite Edition, the first Hitman game ever to be released for the Mac, is available now from the Mac App Store*!

Take on the role of Agent 47, a genetically-engineered killer equipped with extraordinary reflexes, creative stealth techniques and a powerful arsenal of weapons. As Agent 47, you’ll use your skill and ingenuity to turn assassination into an art.

Hitman: Absolution - Elite Edition is the complete package, containing all previously released additional content, including the standalone hit Hitman: Sniper Challenge, a “making of” documentary and a 72-page artbook.*

The Hitman: Absolution - Elite Edition minisite has been declassified, report straight away for a full mission briefing.

Good hunting.

*The Steam version will be released shortly, and will be available from Steam, the Feral Store and other stores. Steam customers will be able to choose between purchasing Hitman: Absolution - Elite Edition and the base game Hitman: Absolution. Customers who purchase Hitman: Absolution will be able to purchase some of the DLC separately (everything on this page), but Hitman: Sniper Challenge, the documentary and the artbook are only available as part of Hitman: Absolution - Elite Edition.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Yup, it's also a very good game. Been playing it so far. First impression video on it's way for Mac gamers as well.

Here's also what Feral said about the game being on Steam.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 15.58.10.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 15.58.10.png
    22 KB · Views: 4,324

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It's not yet highlighted by Apple in the "Best New Games" section, but it's already up to #5 in the Top Grossing charts. Looks good, will have to give it a go.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
My first impression of the game so far.

Feral have once again out done themselves, on the port. :D

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Update! Hitman: Absolution - Elite Edition is out on Steam now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/203140/

Yay! Another Feral employee has joined the boards. Very cool. I've been eyeing this game for a while, and I just might have to take the plunge since it's receiving some love for OS X.

By the way, thanks for the work you (and Edwin and the rest of the Feral team) did bringing Deus Ex: Human Revolution to the Mac. I finally fired it up after it sitting in my purchase history for months, and it's one of the best games I've ever played. I loved it so much, I actually managed to track down a DVD version of the game and picked that up, too. Though it cost about 3x what I bought the game for on the MAS, Feral deserves the support.

Speaking of which, are there any plans to do a DVD release of Hitman, or will it be Steam/MAS only?

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Thrilled to see some Hitman love on OS X!

I'm a longtime Hitman fan and I've played Absolution to death but I'm curious to see how it runs on my MacBook Pro. I preordered the standard Steam version months before it released however I can't get it to start downloading on OS X just yet but I'll give it a few hours. I'm very curious to see how it compares with the PC Release; Feral have a good track record. Looking over the System Requirements, the game requires (up until today) the to most recent version of Mavericks. Does this mean the game takes advantage of OpenGL 4?

This is going to sound incredibly ungrateful and I don't mean it too but I would love the older Hitman games on OS X too! Blood Money still looks the part and runs very well under Wine along with it still being a hugely fun game. The whole series would make excellent classic releases (I forget what Feral specifically brand them as) and presumably wouldn't be too hard to port as they're quite old (but still extremely fun!).

P.S. The pre Blood Money games use (now broken) versions OpenGL to my memory

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
is anyone having problems downloading this from steam? i press install, and it tells me instantly that its downloaded. it says (1 of 1 items complete) but when i click on it it says Hitman absolution, PLAY, downloaded 0 bytes/0 bytes. time completed. 21:41. ready to play.

pressing play gets 'steam error. failed to start game (missing executable).

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
is anyone having problems downloading this from steam? i press install, and it tells me instantly that its downloaded. it says (1 of 1 items complete) but when i click on it it says Hitman absolution, PLAY, downloaded 0 bytes/0 bytes. time completed. 21:41. ready to play.

I'm getting the exact same error; I assume it'll fix itself in the next few hours.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012

I'm getting the exact same error; I assume it'll fix itself in the next few hours.

That's an issue with Steam not having updated their files properly yet, and for delivery. Should be fixed soon hopefully.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

That's an issue with Steam not having updated their files properly yet, and for delivery. Should be fixed soon hopefully.

Make sure you quit the Steam client completely then try again. The Steam client gets new access privileges for game bundles when logging in, sounds like your access hasn't updated yet. Missing executable error means your client hasn't downloaded the game but thinks it has, this is usually fixed by a reboot.

If you still have issues after rebooting the client then go to the top right of the Steam window and select Acount Details from the dropdown, find Hitman in your purchase list and write down the exact name of the Hitman bundle for example "Hitman Absolution WW" or "Hitman Absolution Elite Edition (CIS)". This will tell what batch you bought the game from and I can look into the issue with Valve.

This all said usually a reboot works in all but the rarest of instances when someone bought the game using a bundle that hasn't updated correctly or is cached.

The Elite Edition is Windows only via Steam.

Elite Edition is SteamPlay (in fact Elite Edition was released on PC to match the Mac so it's definitely on the Mac!). You can even upgrade to Elite Edition for a lower price if you owned the PC version originally as part of the Steam upgrade system.

Edwin
Feral Interactive

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Make sure you quit the Steam client completely then try again. The Steam client gets new access privileges for game bundles when logging in, sounds like your access hasn't updated yet. Missing executable error means your client hasn't downloaded the game but thinks it has, this is usually fixed by a reboot.

If you still have issues after rebooting the client then go to the top right of the Steam window and select Acount Details from the dropdown, find Hitman in your purchase list and write down the exact name of the Hitman bundle for example "Hitman Absolution WW" or "Hitman Absolution Elite Edition (CIS)". This will tell what batch you bought the game from and I can look into the issue with Valve.

This all said usually a reboot works in all but the rarest of instances when someone bought the game using a bundle that hasn't updated correctly or is cached.

Elite Edition is SteamPlay (in fact Elite Edition was released on PC to match the Mac so it's definitely on the Mac!). You can even upgrade to Elite Edition for a lower price if you owned the PC version originally as part of the Steam upgrade system.

Edwin
Feral Interactive

Thanks hugely for helping troubleshoot the issue especially considering it's Valves problem and not yours! A reboot and a few relaunches is yet to fix the problem so I've done as you've requested and gone into my account details. Hitman Absolution is fittingly marked as "Hitman Absolution"; it was a preorder (August 8th 2013 if that makes any difference) so I would assume the first batch. The game has only gone live today so I don't expect a miracle from PC preordered game but thanks again for doing all you're doing.

I'd be curious to know how it compares graphically - and overall performance wise - with the PC version especially considering Open GL 4 closes many of the DX 11 gaps. I don't recall how it ran on my Retina under Windows but I assume pretty well; what are you guys and gals seeing in-house with the first gen Retina's?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012

Edwin
Feral Interactive

Cheers Ed, i tried rebooting it last night and deleting the (0 bytes) download and everything else. will have a look the version later when i get home from work.

Going off topic here, Ed have you ever thought of havng a 'tip' box on your website. i imagine people who are flush would 'tip' just because they liked your games, but for example, in the cases where i own a game on steam thats pc only, you bring out a mac version at great cost, i get it for free. i cant necessarily justify buying the game again on say app store or amazon because then i'd have paid two full prices for the game, but would like to put 5 or 10 euro into a tip box as a thank you.

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks hugely for helping troubleshoot the issue especially considering it's Valves problem and not yours! A reboot and a few relaunches is yet to fix the problem so I've done as you've requested and gone into my account details. Hitman Absolution is fittingly marked as "Hitman Absolution"; it was a preorder (August 8th 2013 if that makes any difference) so I would assume the first batch. The game has only gone live today so I don't expect a miracle from PC preordered game but thanks again for doing all you're doing.

I have contacted Valve to see if we can see anything wrong with that specific package.

I'd be curious to know how it compares graphically - and overall performance wise - with the PC version especially considering Open GL 4 closes many of the DX 11 gaps. I don't recall how it ran on my Retina under Windows but I assume pretty well; what are you guys and gals seeing in-house with the first gen Retina's?

Second-gen performs much better as it has double the VRAM. Visually they look very similar a few of the higher end features are not possible due to memory usage and missing support on OS X OpenGL your average gamer should not see any major difference if you do a side by side bake off. There are some but something you need to actively look for.

Cheers Ed, i tried rebooting it last night and deleting the (0 bytes) download and everything else. will have a look the version later when i get home from work.

OK if it doesn't work make sure you get the bundle name from the account details area as that helps with tracking the issue down.

Going off topic here, Ed have you ever thought of havng a 'tip' box on your website. i imagine people who are flush would 'tip' just because they liked your games, but for example, in the cases where i own a game on steam thats pc only, you bring out a mac version at great cost, i get it for free. i cant necessarily justify buying the game again on say app store or amazon because then i'd have paid two full prices for the game, but would like to put 5 or 10 euro into a tip box as a thank you.

Thanks :) we will have to investigate a tips jar ;) Or perhaps an address to send cookies :D

Edwin

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
guys on steam it shows Hitman Absolution mentioned for mac users & no elite version, is this the same version thats available in the mac store? or we have to download add ons in game to make it the elite version?

Thanks..

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
guys on steam it shows Hitman Absolution mentioned for mac users & no elite version, is this the same version thats available in the mac store? or we have to download add ons in game to make it the elite version?

Thanks..

I got a tonne of DLC with the MAS version, including some Deus Ex HR items.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks..

The Elite Edition is Mac/PC so you can buy it right now without worrying, for some reason the store page for the Sniper Challenge Pre-order bonus says Windows only (It's actually Mac/PC) and that is causing the problem.

Should be fixed once Valve update the store page later today, it won't stop you from playing Elite Edition right now though as it is just an icon nothing more. :)

Edwin

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
The Elite Edition is Mac/PC so you can buy it right now without worrying, for some reason the store page for the Sniper Challenge Pre-order bonus says Windows only (It's actually Mac/PC) and that is causing the problem.

Should be fixed once Valve update the store page later today, it won't stop you from playing Elite Edition right now though as it is just an icon nothing more. :)

Edwin
oh k, so both version are available to download then from steam? thats nice :D

Thanks..

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks..

The icon has been updated now to correctly state SteamPlay. Also a few users who had download access issue a these have all been fixed.

Enjoy everyone.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.