Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I'm on the lookout for a dual tray 661-5708 to upgrade a single 2012 5,1. Looked on eBay and only found a faulty one used and new from the US is about 800 bucks shipped to UK. This is for my own use, the 2012 is in excellent condition and considering it to replace my 3,1 dual 3,2 and I have to work out the cost or whether it's worth hanging on for a native dual socket cheesegrater.

If anyone knows of one being sold anywhere let me know please, will happily take without CPUs and fit my own. I'm uk based but will buy worldwide.

Last edited:

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
I'm on the lookout for a dual tray 661-5708 to upgrade a single 2012 5,1. Looked on eBay and only found a faulty one used and new from the US is about 800 bucks shipped to UK. This is for my own use, the 2012 is in excellent condition and considering it to replace my 3,1 dual 3,2 and I have to work out the cost or whether it's worth hanging on for a native dual socket cheesegrater.

If anyone knows of one being sold anywhere let me know please, will happily take without CPUs and fit my own. I'm uk based but will buy worldwide.

http://thebookyard.com/product.php?cPath=87_290&products_id=10061

These guys are my fav mac parts dealer. They get recycled sometimes, probably irregular stock, but that's a new one local

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
or perhaps ask an AASP to order the part for you, bookyard is way overpriced. £534.00 inc VAT

you can order them for 423.50 inc VAT

I don't see them anywhere for this price, I find other sources in the same ballpark as Bookyard.

http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=661-5708&search_in_description=1&x=-547&y=-390

or 442 without shipping and import costs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-661-5708-APPLE-Processor-Board-Dual-Without-Processors-Version-3-for-Mac-Pro-/181140228634?pt=Motherboards&hash=item2a2ccc8a1a

heres one in the US on sale

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/661-5708-Apple-Dual-Processor-Board-Without-Processors-Version-3-for-Mac-Pro-Mid-2010---NEW-p-38254.html&pltid=l0jk59ia114fo9pvj5ebp3fo34

And here's a source for a second hand one, you might find this the cheapest one

http://www.com-com.co.uk/basket_enquiry.ihtml?pn=5212501~add=Y~cs=CL_availability_link

I do not see anywhere in the UK that will sell a new one for the price you quoted including VAT, but if you have a link add it. In general, I don't find the Bookyard overpriced, especially if you can get a second-hand on pulled

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
I don't see them anywhere for this price, I find other sources in the same ballpark as Bookyard.

http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=661-5708&search_in_description=1&x=-547&y=-390

or 442 without shipping and import costs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-661-5708-APPLE-Processor-Board-Dual-Without-Processors-Version-3-for-Mac-Pro-/181140228634?pt=Motherboards&hash=item2a2ccc8a1a

heres one in the US on sale

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/661-5708-Apple-Dual-Processor-Board-Without-Processors-Version-3-for-Mac-Pro-Mid-2010---NEW-p-38254.html&pltid=l0jk59ia114fo9pvj5ebp3fo34

And here's a source for a second hand one, you might find this the cheapest one

http://www.com-com.co.uk/basket_enquiry.ihtml?pn=5212501~add=Y~cs=CL_availability_link

I do not see anywhere in the UK that will sell a new one for the price you quoted including VAT, but if you have a link add it. In general, I don't find the Bookyard overpriced, especially if you can get a second-hand on pulled

price ex vat is 346.72, vat is 423.50

here, available from any uk based AASP.

trust me, ive dealt with scrumpymacs, bookyard, VIS and several other part vendors and they are all rip off merchants. saw one of them offer a 17" 2011 logic board for £900 on an exchange basis, thats a £300 part with £600 margin on top.

Attachments

• Screen_Shot____________at__________png.jpg
    Screen_Shot____________at__________png.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 233

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
price ex vat is 346.72, vat is 423.50

here, available from any uk based AASP.

trust me, ive dealt with scrumpymacs, bookyard, VIS and several other part vendors and they are all rip off merchants. saw one of them offer a 17" 2011 logic board for £900 on an exchange basis, thats a £300 part with £600 margin on top.

You might be right about rip-off merchants, but why don't you offer a link to an Apple Authorised service centre that will sell you the part?

The one's I've dealt with, like AMSYS, MR, Honeylight, etc, will NOT sell just the part, only the part as part of a service job. Which they will charge plenty for, making up the difference.

I think its possible that Apple doesn't want them to sell the parts retail as part of their being officially certified AASP. That's what 3 of them have told me. Your attachment is from the Apple Global Service Exchange, offered only to certified mac techs. They are not supposed to offer those parts for resale.

If you know of one who will sell the part alone, retail, to a normal user, I'd like to known which AASP that is.

Last edited:

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Cheaper to sell the mac and buy a DP one. With the right selling techniques, patience and some luck on your timing you may be able to do it for no monetary loss because of the variance in prices on these models ranging from £900-£1,500.

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
You might be right about rip-off merchants, but why don't you offer a link to an Apple Authorised service centre that will sell you the part?

The one's I've dealt with, like AMSYS, MR, Honeylight, etc, will NOT sell just the part, only the part as part of a service job. Which they will charge plenty for, making up the difference.

I think its possible that Apple doesn't want them to sell the parts retail as part of their being officially certified AASP. That's what 3 of them have told me. Your attachment is from the Apple Global Service Exchange, offered only to certified mac techs. They are not supposed to offer those parts for resale.

If you know of one who will sell the part alone, retail, to a normal user, I'd like to known which AASP that is.

well i'm not going to tell you who i work for if thats what you are getting at,(but i'm happy to take orders behind the veil of the internet) that image is from my own gsx account that shows that the part is available for purchase right now. (i blacked out my home address and the account numbers)

In regards to your statement about not selling retail being a requirement by apple that isn't true, AASPs can sell parts just most wont, my company will sell parts every now and then and we aren't a particularly big aasp either.

AMSYS won't as they want at least £50 markup, and will try and slap £70 labour on there as well, I know this because i've worked for them. :D
but the parts are available, i suggest that the OP ring round a few, i think quite a few will order the part if theres a few quid on top, but you don't need to pay what the bookyard or VIS want for them. (ps: where do you think they get their parts from to sell retail? Hint: from GSX.. why do you think they all have a lead time/backorder on them, its because they'll order them in from gsx to sell them.)

just to clear anything up, ive nothing personal against other AASPs, or the parts companies but there are legit ways to spend less, and the OP should approach all avenues to save money.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
That's great. I was interested in your posting suggested sources, because I've always hit a wall with the London AASP refusing to sell parts alone. Most of them hide behind a "we can't, we are forbidden" excuse.

Glad to know there are sources, but it will take a lot of calling around from my experience before you hit one

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
That's great. I was interested in your posting suggested sources, because I've always hit a wall with the London AASP refusing to sell parts alone. Most of them hide behind a "we can't, we are forbidden" excuse.

Glad to know there are sources, but it will take a lot of calling around from my experience before you hit one

Drop me a PM if you ever need some parts, assuming it's not every week than I'd be quite happy to help out where I can.

I charge a flat £5 for shipping and it's usually only a £10-£20 markup on parts as we don't need the revenue.

bookfiend

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
United State
PMing you

How can I PM you? I have similar questions about parts.

Thanks.

QUOTE=Lucas Godfrey;19123591]Drop me a PM if you ever need some parts, assuming it's not every week than I'd be quite happy to help out where I can.

I charge a flat £5 for shipping and it's usually only a £10-£20 markup on parts as we don't need the revenue.[/QUOTE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.