Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 15, 2014, 12:38 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iTunes 11.2 Released With Podcast Improvements, Bug Fixes

Apple today released iTunes 11.2 with several improvements to Podcast browsing, giving users a way to find new episodes with an "Unplayed" tab and the ability to save favorite episodes to a computer. Episodes can also now be deleted after they're played, and episodes that are available to download or stream can be found in the "Feed" tab.

There's a fix for an issue that caused iTunes to become unresponsive when updating Genius, and the update also includes improvements for overall performance and stability. Apple also recommends users download Podcasts for iOS 2.1 or later to sync podcast episodes, an update that was just released on the App Store.
Quote:
This update includes the following improvements:

Improved Podcast Browsing
-Quickly find episodes you haven't listened to in the new Unplayed tab
-Browse episodes that are available to download or stream in the Feed tab
-Save your favorite episodes to keep them on your computer
-Episodes can now be automatically deleted after you play them

This update also resolves an issue where iTunes may become unresponsive when updating Genius and improves overall performance and stability. Podcasts for iOS 2.1 or later is recommended when syncing podcast episodes.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
iTunes 11.2 can be downloaded from the software update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: iTunes 11.2 Released With Podcast Improvements, Bug Fixes
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 12:39 PM   #2
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

On an update mission today...
Old May 15, 2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Razeus
macrumors 68040

iTunes and the iTunes Store ought to be separate applications. Stop trying to do everything in one app. Browsing my music should be simple.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:44 PM   #4
guffman
macrumors regular

The latest version of Podcasts for iOS seems to be 2.0.2...

Has it been updated?
guffman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple today released iTunes 11.2 with several improvements to Podcast browsing, giving users a way to find new episodes with an "Unplayed" tab and the ability to save favorite episodes to a computer. Episodes can also now be deleted after they're played, and episodes that are available to download or stream can be found in the "Feed" tab.

There's a fix for an issue that caused iTunes to become unresponsive when updating Genius, and the update also includes improvements for overall performance and stability. Apple also recommends users download Podcasts for iOS 2.1 or later to sync podcast episodes.iTunes 11.2 can be downloaded from the software update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: iTunes 11.2 Released With Podcast Improvements, Bug Fixes
Still no CoverFlow...
Old May 15, 2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Ludatyk
macrumors regular

iTunes Match needs attention to as well.. Plenty of times it takes a forever to upload music.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:48 PM   #7
herr_neumann
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to herr_neumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
iTunes and the iTunes Store ought to be separate applications. Stop trying to do everything in one app. Browsing my music should be simple.
Would also like to see the iOS device management spun out as well.
herr_neumann is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 12:50 PM   #8
RobFog
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelligent View Post
Still no CoverFlow...
Don’t hold your breath…
RobFog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Richardgm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludatyk View Post
iTunes Match needs attention to as well.. Plenty of times it takes a forever to upload music.
Indeed. Unfortunately I just added a song and iTunes Match still takes forever / hangs at step 1.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:53 PM   #10
rockosmodurnlif
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to rockosmodurnlif Send a message via Yahoo to rockosmodurnlif
Quote:
Man, I hear ya.
☐ Word wrap in Reminders for Mac OS X
rockosmodurnlif is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 12:54 PM   #11
dalbng
macrumors newbie

Nothing on Apple Software Update on Windows. Does it usually take a while before it appears, or is this a Mac-only update?
dalbng is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Richardgm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbng View Post
Nothing on Apple Software Update on Windows. Does it usually take a while before it appears, or is this a Mac-only update?
It normally takes a while to show up there.

Here are the direct links:

http://www.icj.me/ios/iTunes
Old May 15, 2014, 12:59 PM   #13
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I disagree, I like having one application for all my media needs. If anything, iTunes should get more functionality, like browsing my movies I have in my iMovie/Final Cut applications, having my Garageband tracks available in there, etc... AUTOMATICALLY.

I'd also welcome a new video segment(s).
TV Shows and Movies are fine, the fact they added the home movie tab was nice, but I'd love to have a segment for stuff I downloaded from Youtube or just other places where I get video from. Stuff that doesn't fit those categories.

I refuse to scatter my Movies section with hundreds of videos that aren't feature films or such.

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 01:27 PM   #14
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffman View Post
The latest version of Podcasts for iOS seems to be 2.0.2...

Has it been updated?
The new iOS Podcasts update just hit -- bunch of new improvements.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/15/...-improvements/
jclo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 01:29 PM   #15
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

Hopefully this fixes the crashes I've had with 11.1.5, usually related to playing internet radio streams. Actually, for being an 11.x release I would've expected better features than just podcast improvements.

I would love to lead the iTunes team and be given free reign to split it up into two apps, Store and Music. And add tagging a la Mavericks, and the ability to filter using multiple criteria to create ad hoc playlists. There's so much that could be done with this app, and the iTunes 11 redesign didn't really bring much to the table; it just moved the chairs around.
petsounds is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 01:31 PM   #16
bradkrischel
macrumors member

iTunes Match needs serious attention. Every time that I upload a song into iTunes, iTunes match begins it's process but hangs. At that point, I have to sign out of my account, quit iTunes, restart iTunes, sign back in to my iTunes account, and then sign in to iTunes Match. Only then will my new content be matched. Apple support has no solution for this problem at this time.
bradkrischel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 01:33 PM   #17
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgm View Post
Indeed. Unfortunately I just added a song and iTunes Match still takes forever / hangs at step 1.
Was about to ask whether iTunes Match had been fixed. Oh well, at least I finally managed to get it to match newly added songs again by cancelling the automatic update process and then manually selecting "Update iTunes Match" from the menu bar.
Old May 15, 2014, 01:53 PM   #18
mcfly88
macrumors regular

Quote:
Every time you want to upload something new.. shut off iTunes Match and then turn it back on.. while annoying to have to do, I have noticed this uploads them very quickly.
mcfly88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 01:59 PM   #19
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

Bring back cover flow.
Mac32 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 02:13 PM   #20
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_neumann View Post
Would also like to see the iOS device management spun out as well.
I would love for there to be a separate app for iOS devices. iTunes tends to lag whenever my devices begin to connect to it wirelessly, which is every time I start up the application.
Old May 15, 2014, 02:18 PM   #21
cjmillsnun
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Oh hell yes. iTunes should be the jukebox and perhaps the music store, iDevice sync and functionality needs to be spun out.
Old May 15, 2014, 03:41 PM   #22
Kariya
macrumors 65816

i don't like what they've done to podcast.
Kariya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 03:47 PM   #23
Doc69
macrumors 6502

After this update, I had one of my subscribed video podcast automatically starting to download old episodes. So a setting changed. Had to restart iTunes after changing back to "Download Episodes" to OFF, for it to stop.

And where is the "Update All Podcasts" button or menu item? It's now gone from the lower right, and right-clicking on the "Podcasts" item in the side bar only shows "Export".
Doc69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 04:49 PM   #24
jayducharme
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Absolutely agree. And also, if I sign out of Match and then sign back in (in order to get it to function), I get a message box saying my computer is unauthorized. Every. Single. Time. Authorizing my computer has no effect. I'm still baffled as to why Apple has such a difficult time with cloud services.
jayducharme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 05:01 PM   #25
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Podcasts still aren't working for me. I want to change my defaults but as soon as I quit iTunes, the defaults are reset. Some podcasts aren't showing the artwork, even though it downloads the images on the podcasts file. And this used to cause iTunes to lag pretty bad. The lag is still there, but it is now not as bad.

Still feels like a few steps back IMO.
madsci954 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion