Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2002
I have seen this issue reported on other forums. Apparently it also happens with some Bluetooth game pads (i.e. ps3). No answer have been given.

Symptom: When inserting a usb gamepad the mouse moves via the analog x/y Axis of the joystick. The button 0 (first button) acts as a mouse click.

Similar behavior: Linux will also do this if it's unable to read the full USB descriptor. In linux you can set a value in 50-joystick.conf under X11 to false. I have no clue if a mac has this file.

The device: The device is a HID usb gampad/mouse adapter. In mouse mode it allows the joystick to move the mouse along the X-axis only. So this issue is not that the Mac is using it in mouse mode. Also in mouse mode there is no way to click a button. Maybe the mac sees the dual device and is forcing a high-bird? Though the behavior of moving the mouse around the screen and clicking on stuff is not done so from the adapter. Something is doing that on the mac end.

Mac OS: the only OS so far that does not have the problem is Mavericks. Anything under Mavericks seems to fail.

NOTES:

1)I have a JAVA app that reads joystick information. When I run that, the joystick data is shown on all OS's. So I know the mac can see the joystick input, just not sure why its moving the mouse around.

2) On Linux I was able to observe log files and figure out the problem. It was crashing on devices with 3 rows of buttons. Once I changed the device to only have two rows the problem was gone and the joystick worked fine.

3) This problem was reported by someone with a mac, I don’t own any macs but I tried VM ware with a friends DVD. I was able to replicate the issue so I know it’s not something he had on his system.

4) There is an app called overdrive that has a check box and turns off the mouse from moving around. Though overdrive does not work with vm ware and seems to just add more problems to the gamepad input.

5) I don’t know anything about macs so please be detailed in responses.

Sorry for the detailed post but I figured the more I can explain the better. I really need to find the problem in the OS and find a solution, 3rd party software I want to ovoid.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.