Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Use the ExpressCard slot to add FireWire 800 to Apple's new...

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Use the ExpressCard slot to add FireWire 800 to Apple's new MacBook Pro
Description:: Apple's new MacBook Pro features an ExpressCard/34 slot. This slot can be used for hot-pluggable I/O expansion cards that the Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (PCMCIA) plans as the replacement for CardBus as the preferred solution for personal computers. Uses for that ExpressCar/34 slot can (or will soon) include such solutons as: TV tuners, hot pluggable FireWire 800 adapters, extra FireWire 400 port(s), Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity products, CompactFlash adapters, Flash memory cards, Gigabit Ethernet networking cards, External SATA (eSATA), which claims peak interface speeds up to 3 times faster than FireWire 800, and more.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2
TheMasin9
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to TheMasin9
good

i think this new expresscard thing will work out fine. Everyone is griping about the losss of fw800, but i think it was a decent thought to remove it for now, and maybe well see it in either the 17 inch model or a future revision. when fw800 becomes more prevalent, which it should considering the quick evolution of HD and the neccessary transfer rates for it.
Xbox 360s
TheMasin9 is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:56 PM   #3
jimN
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to jimN
People seem very keen on fw 800 but a tv tuner sounds like a much better use of this little slot - now if only front row supported it!
Old Jan 15, 2006, 01:38 PM   #4
nydoofus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimN
People seem very keen on fw 800 but a tv tuner sounds like a much better use of this little slot - now if only front row supported it!
There are USB 2.0 TV Tuners. Might as well save the ExpressCard slot.
nydoofus is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 01:53 PM   #5
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Any ExpressCard is an annoyance for me. I use my PB with an external monitor and with DVI, FW400 (iPod), FW800 (external HDD), ethernet and USB (keyboard and mouse) all plugged in, I have only the power lead protruding into monitor space.

Adding first a card and then another set of leads wrapped around the laptop stand is significantly more untidy and thus unstable, more cumbersome, and most of all distracting.
AlmostThere is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:27 PM   #6
jimN
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to jimN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydoofus
There are USB 2.0 TV Tuners. Might as well save the ExpressCard slot.
True, i just like the tidiness of just having an aerial sticking up from the side. Truth be told a card reader would be useful (as a digital camera user), it's a laziness thing really but as picture sizes go up fast transfer is appreciated (as opposed to plugging in the camera).
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:50 PM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G4

I'm sure lots of things will be coming out--and coming sooner BECAUSE Apple is pushing this standard. They have always had the ability to promote a new technology that was just taking off too slowly without them. (Like USB mice, Wi-Fi in laptops, and of course Firewire itself.) So the lack of ExpressCard/34 choice BEFORE MacBook isn't a sign of a scarcity that will continue.

In one sense I'd rather Apple were able to squeeze in a larger ExpressCard/54 slot. But on the other hand, I'd rather ExpressCard/34 become more common, and just push for ONE shape of card, not two. ExpressCard/34 products will be more portable in my laptop bag, AND ExpressCard/34 will be used in smaller laptops that could never fit 54. So if ExpressCard/34 takes off more than ExpressCard/54, that's OK with me. (It's just dimensions--54 isn't faster, merely wider.)

I do hope they come out with an ExpressCard/34 version of this:
http://www.newtonperipherals.com

Would be kind of neat for an iPod Shuffle too, wouldn't it? Retractable earphones maybe?

Other than that, I like carrying a card better than carrying a cable, so my 4-in-1 flash reader in my PowerBook is nice. I can always access my camera with no cable needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostThere
Adding first a card and then another set of leads wrapped around the laptop stand is significantly more untidy and thus unstable, more cumbersome, and most of all distracting.
Just to be clear, the MacBook (like the PowerBook 15") has various connectors on both the left and right sides, and using an ExpressCard doesn't require any additional cables.

(In your case, I think what you mean is that you like FW800 to be on the right so that you only have the power cord on the left. But now you'd have to have FW800 on the left.)

One thing I like about the 12" PBook is that (unlike the 12" iBook and 15" PBook) all ports are on the left.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2006, 06:43 PM   #8
adamfilip
macrumors 6502a

ever since External SATA drives and enclosures came out i dont see the need for fw 800
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:06 PM   #9
sjk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasin9
when fw800 becomes more prevalent, which it should considering the quick evolution of HD and the neccessary transfer rates for it.
I think FW800's popularity will decrease as eSATA's increases, similar to what adamflip wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfilip
ever since External SATA drives and enclosures came out i dont see the need for fw 800
Apparently neither does Apple now. They could really give it the death knell by dropping it on the first Intel "Powermac" system(s) although that might be premature. Still, lack of it on the MacBook Pro seems to me the first sign of Apple's intention to eventually drop its internal support on all Macs.

FW400 has a longer lifetime since it serves a broader range of devices and customers than FW800.
sjk is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2006, 08:52 PM   #10
Surreal
macrumors 6502

apple should drop firewire 400 ports from their future comps.

and only give 800. FW 800 and expresscard leaves no reason to complain. 400 and 800 support...and a faster possibility in eSATA.

i say this cause i will either buy the new book, or its update, come this summer and i plan to use a firewire audio interface and an external hard drive with it.

i must admit that expresscard+eSATA seems to be a better standard for hard drives, but not for video cameras and audio interfaces
Surreal is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:03 PM   #11
devman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimN
True, i just like the tidiness of just having an aerial sticking up from the side. Truth be told a card reader would be useful (as a digital camera user), it's a laziness thing really but as picture sizes go up fast transfer is appreciated (as opposed to plugging in the camera).
http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptop...ers-148241.php
devman is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:29 PM   #12
sjk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal
i must admit that expresscard+eSATA seems to be a better standard for hard drives, but not for video cameras and audio interfaces
How many video cameras and audio interfaces support FW800?
sjk is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:38 PM   #13
Surreal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk
How many video cameras and audio interfaces support FW800?
heh

one camera that i know of is coming
+
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff800.htm

so one and one, although,

my point is that 400 is built into support for 800; because of this is makes more sense to simply provide fw 800 ports.

then there is not complaining. unless there is only one port. then complaining continues. 2 ports is acceptable though. anything more is simply a treat and will not be given.

maybe inflection would help darn typing...i simply dont see reason to pick 400 over 800. i am not complaining about the macbook anymore, once expresscard interfaces actually come out, there will be a viable solution to the "audio interface and hard drive on a shared port" issue. but if i have 2 fw800 ports and an expresscard port i can use my "legacy" 400 equipment and devote my expresscard port to something new. it really seems like a waste for me to use the slot to give me an old port.

but more interesting...in my google search for the link I came upon this

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsimumnews.com
Most computer motherboards now provide FireWire400, and new motherboards equipped with FireWire 800 have been announced by Intel, Gigabyte, Asustek and Foxconn during this year, Snider said. Intel will be supplying processors for Macs starting in 2006.
Surreal is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:30 PM   #14
sjk
macrumors 6502a

What "makes more sense" doesn't change the reality of Apple excluding FW800 on the MBP, for whatever reason(s). Maybe it'll make a comeback and maybe it won't.
sjk is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion