Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PORSCHER_911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Kuwait
Hi,
I have been trying to repair disk permissions for a long time now since I first updated to OS X 10.4.3 (now running 10.4.4) still nothing gets repaired. It keeps showing same permissions everytime I check or try to repair. I've searched this board if anyone else is having this problem and I found only one guy who seems to have the exact same problem as mine with disk permissions...
alangyssler said:
I can repair permissions until the end of time, and am still left with Widget preferences that need changing, but never do change.
Permissions related to Widgets and DVD player application like for example:-

- We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Applications/DVD Player.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutBox.nib/objects.xib.
- We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/World Clock.wdgt/version.plist.

And also this odd one in between:-
- We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock.

Is there anything I can do to repair these permissions? :(
Because lately I've noticed that my Mac is acting a little bit slow with some rare crashes (once or twice) with random applications like Safari.

Thanks

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Special permissions are temporary ones used while the process is underway -- there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Repairing_Permissions

Frequently, the permissions repair process will print messages like:

We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist.
New permissions are 33188

These "special permissions" entries are informational, they do not indicate that there is a problem with your disk.

PORSCHER_911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Kuwait
Ok, that's a relief... Thanks! :)

But there's one thing, most of those permissions are related to Widgets and lately I've noticed some problems with my widgets like for example the Translator widget isn't working properly anymore (Not working at all actually.. it shows up with corrupted interface and nothing to click at) --> image attached

translatorwidget.png

I'm just afraid that this would happen to other widgets/applications in the future.

Yet again, thanks.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Special permissions are temporary ones used while the process is underway -- there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Repairing_Permissions

I don't know if I agree with this 100%. I have the same exact problem on my iMac G5, and I called Apple about it and they said the system has become corrupt because they can't even be repaired when booting from the install DVD which has a heftier repair disc compared to the one within OS X while the OS is running.

They said the only way to fix this is to Archive and Install.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
There's always a few files that use special permissions. These are normal.
Not sure if it has anything to do with your troubles, Porscher, but those "errors" (not really errors, more like notifications) are supposed to be there.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
spencecb said:
I don't know if I agree with this 100%. I have the same exact problem on my iMac G5, and I called Apple about it and they said the system has become corrupt because they can't even be repaired when booting from the install DVD which has a heftier repair disc compared to the one within OS X while the OS is running.

They said the only way to fix this is to Archive and Install.

Any "special" item can't be repaired at all because there is no error, per se.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.