Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I'm curious if any one here is contemplating a 5S once they've actually seen the iPhone 6 - 4.7"/5.5"? I'm actually contemplating on a 5S. Of course, I'd like to see the 6 before making that decision. I think, the 4.7 is still a perfect size, but 5.5 is a deal breaker, at least for me.

I'm also curious if Apple will have available unlocked 5S' for sale on the day the iPhone 6 is released for sale?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If they stop making a 4" the plan is I will grab a 5s then. After a while is not a phone, it's a PDA.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
The way I see it, it will be : iPhone 5c for $0 on a 2-year contract, iPhone 5s for $50 and iPhone 6 starting at $150, there won't be a 5.5 inch phone this year

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I feel kind of the same way as you guys do.

Sincerely, "That 80s Show"

Get real people, a 4" phone is a joke...when Fisher Price phones start to outshine your real phone, that might be a sign that a change is necessary.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
My 5S has already been retired and replaced with a S5.

No I wouldn't consider one after the new models arrive.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
My 5S has already been retired and replaced with a S5.

No I wouldn't consider one after the new models arrive.

Just out of curiosity are you happier with you S5? I'm just wondering because my fiancée has the S5 and she would rather have the easy use of the iPhone back now.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Since the iPhone 6 also has an aluminum chassis, I don't think Apple will keep the 5s once the 6 comes out. They will either keep the 5c as a cheaper option, or give the 5c an upgrade (essentially the 5cs).

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
If I don't like the iPhone 6, and I find the need to upgrade from my 5, my plan is to consider the iPhone 5s. Right now, I'm not feeling the hype to upgrade to any new phone just yet.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Old people? Why are people that wanna keep a 5S old?

Luddites tend to be elderly.

Anyway, since the iPhone 6 will probably not be as good as the Note 4, I'll likely upgrade my work phone to the Note 4 and keep my iP5 for personal stuff for as long as it will last. Depending on what my wife wants to do with her iP5c I might just give up on Apple on the phone side.

If Apple would pull off a proper 5+ inch phone with modern functionality, however, I'll trade my work phone for some random dumbphone and trade me and the missus up for an iPhone 6.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I wouldn't consider the 5S now due to the paltry 1GB of RAM, let alone when the i6 comes out (hopefully with twice the RAM).

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Just out of curiosity are you happier with you S5? I'm just wondering because my fiancée has the S5 and she would rather have the easy use of the iPhone back now.

Very happy with it actually. Do I miss a couple of things about my iPhone? Sure, but overall I think the S5 is the better overall device.

Last year I went from iPhone 5 to Galaxy S4. The S4 was a complete bag of turds. Just terrible. I was back with to the iPhone with the 5S after only 2 months.

The S5 is dramatically improved though to a very tangible extent, and was impressive enough for me to retire the 5S

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Last year I went from iPhone 5 to Galaxy S4. The S4 was a complete bag of turds. Just terrible. I was back with to the iPhone with the 5S after only 2 months.

Really, Im now in the same mix between iPhone5, S4 or S5.

If you could name the biggest dissapointment or a flaw with the S4 what would it be ?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Really, Im now in the same mix between iPhone5, S4 or S5.

If you could name the biggest dissapointment or a flaw with the S4 what would it be ?

Main issues were performance related, and the DAC in the American S4 is very bad by any standard. With my phone being my main music source, a bad DAC is a no go.

Dezmond

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
Yup, Totally depends on how the iPhone6 feels in the hand if they don't release a 4-inch model this year. But who knows I hope they release 3 high-end sizes to please everyone who wants a small and phablet sized phone.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 and I think I'll wait until I see official photos of the iPhone 6, which will most likely be when Apple announces it in September. No matter what the rumors are saying, an August release is not likely, IMO. The mockups and leaked images I've seen so far are not pleasing at all and if this is how the new iPhone will look like, I will definitely not be getting it. Anyway, if I find that the form factor of the 6 is not that different from its predecessor, then I will go for the 5s. I don't care about the internal improvements. They say faster processor but honestly, the iPhone 5 and 5s are similar in terms of speed.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Main issues were performance related, and the DAC in the American S4 is very bad by any standard. With my phone being my main music source, a bad DAC is a no go.

Bad DAC? What is the source of your music and which ear buds? Sounds pretty good to me.

----------

Then I go and buy the very best Android phone.

There is no BEST, every smartphone has its plusses and minuses. Depends on one's preferences.

Most have more than 1GB of RAM though.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Bad DAC? What is the source of your music and which ear buds? Sounds pretty good to me.

----------

There is no BEST, every smartphone has its plusses and minuses. Depends on one's preferences.

Most have more than 1GB of RAM though.

There is still an overall 'best' for any particular use though.

----------

I have an iPhone 5 and I think I'll wait until I see official photos of the iPhone 6, which will most likely be when Apple announces it in September. No matter what the rumors are saying, an August release is not likely, IMO. The mockups and leaked images I've seen so far are not pleasing at all and if this is how the new iPhone will look like, I will definitely not be getting it. Anyway, if I find that the form factor of the 6 is not that different from its predecessor, then I will go for the 5s. I don't care about the internal improvements. They say faster processor but honestly, the iPhone 5 and 5s are similar in terms of speed.

Yeah but when Apple bog down the older phones with iOS 'updates', then they won't be so fast anymore. They will always find a way to make you need to upgrade to newer tech.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Typical sources. iTunes Music, Spotify, Pandora, Google Play Music.

Output is BMW Logic 7 sound system, and all types of headphones.

I thought it was a defective unit at first. So I returned it and got another. The DAC was still terrible.

I have several threads on my issues and disappointment with the S4. The S5 is a better product across the board. Way better than the S4, and good enough to oust my 5S, which is no easy feat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.