Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone else has this issue, and if so what they did too fix it. My 2013 MacBook Air 11" is absolutely amazing, and I am loving it. BUT i have an issue with it. Randomly horizontal lines will appear on the display. They are totally random and disappear as soon as something moves or changes on the screen.
Here are pictures of the issue.
mac screen issue.JPG

mac screen issue 2.jpg

mac screen issue 3.JPG

mac screen issue 4.jpg

The Air i bought was refurbished, and I went to the Apple store for it to get fixed. They replaced the CSD. But I soon noticed that the issue was not fixed. SO i contacted Apple once more, and then went to the store, where they replaced the main logic board. After a few days, I noticed the issue AGAIN. So i got in contact again and they said they'd give me a replacement computer, which they did. And believe it or not, the replacement model HAS THE SAME ISSUE!!!!!! This alarmed me greatly, and I have been in contact with Apple support to get the issue resolved, but they think its a software issue and want me to wipe my SSD and start fresh to see if the issue persists. However, since I took a screenshot and the line issue DIDNT show up, I assume that it is hardware related. Apple support wont seem to accept this evidence, though.
And another thing, I am almost positive that I saw the line on the first Air on the ride home from the store, before I had any software installed; therefore it wouldn't be software. Maybe an OS issue? Or could it be an issue with the 2013 Airs that Apple wont admit to? Does anyone else have this issue? If so what did you do to get it resolved? At this point I think Apple should replace it with maybe one of these 2014 refresh models (because maybe such an issue would be fixed with a refresh of the Air) or maybe even replace it with a Pro. Thanks,
JerTheGeek.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Have the same issue - had it with previous 2013 haswell mb air 13, have it with 2013 haswell mb air 11 - so two haswell airs i had/have pkagied with this - i believe it is spread over all airs but no one cares (i see that line few times a week, no big deal, ussualyvwhile using expose). I would say, learn to live with it;)

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Have the same issue - had it with previous 2013 haswell mb air 13, have it with 2013 haswell mb air 11 - so two haswell airs i had/have pkagied with this - i believe it is spread over all airs but no one cares (i see that line few times a week, no big deal, ussualyvwhile using expose). I would say, learn to live with it;)

Yeah that is what I figured, just live with it. Though it is interesting to note that other Airs have the same issue. This would mean either an issue with the 2013 Airs, or an OS glitch (which I think is most likely).

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm not so sure it's a universal hardware issue. My MBA and a few other 2013 MBA's (11 and 13 inch) I've seen do not have this problem.

vicynic

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2013
New Jersey
I would not live with it if it was a hardware issue. I have a 2013 MBA 13", and I didn't have this problem from ML to latest Mavericks.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I would not live with it if it was a hardware issue. I have a 2013 MBA 13", and I didn't have this problem from ML to latest Mavericks.

yeah if it is a hardware issue I certainly don't want to live with it; but the problem is convincing Apple that it is hardware, without having to go through the complicated process of deleting everything on my computer and starting fresh to prove that its hardware.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
yeah if it is a hardware issue I certainly don't want to live with it; but the problem is convincing Apple that it is hardware, without having to go through the complicated process of deleting everything on my computer and starting fresh to prove that its hardware.

look, i have this and had on previous air - hw test shown no problem, what I believe apple would do, they would swap your unit for another, but i think that it will have it, too. It is like image retention with rMBpro - some people say they dont have it, but I personally did not see 13incher that did not suffer IR:D

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Not hardware…

If it was hardware, then the line would extend across the screen, showing across windows and other screen elements (assuming those other elements would be in the path of the line.) and allow you to show a line across a window if you were to move it through the line's path.
Looking at YOUR screen pictures, the line may be across one window, but not extending to the background/desktop. Then, you show a line appearing on the desktop, yet does not impinge on a window in the line's path.
So, screen draw issue (and that would be software)

Could be a bug in OS X, with respect to support for Haswell models.
Or, maybe some software that you have added.
However, with other reports of similar issues, more likely some unfixed bug in Mavericks - and appears to just be intermittent.
Does the line appear randomly (never in the same physical position), or can you reproduce it whenever you like? If you can do that, it would be a great thing to show to a "Genius", or as an engineering report to AppleCare….

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Not hardware…

If it was hardware, then the line would extend across the screen, showing across windows and other screen elements (assuming those other elements would be in the path of the line.) and allow you to show a line across a window if you were to move it through the line's path.
Looking at YOUR screen pictures, the line may be across one window, but not extending to the background/desktop. Then, you show a line appearing on the desktop, yet does not impinge on a window in the line's path.
So, screen draw issue (and that would be software)

Could be a bug in OS X, with respect to support for Haswell models.
Or, maybe some software that you have added.
However, with other reports of similar issues, more likely some unfixed bug in Mavericks - and appears to just be intermittent.
Does the line appear randomly (never in the same physical position), or can you reproduce it whenever you like? If you can do that, it would be a great thing to show to a "Genius", or as an engineering report to AppleCare….

It is totally random, though I can sometimes get it to appear when changing desktops. And I get your point, it does sound like an OS X Mavericks glitch. And I did send a report of some kind via Apple Care to developers, an advisor helped me with that; but all they did was try to tell me it was Adobe Flash, I dont think they looked at it as an OS glitch.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I'd return it for exchange, and if a second replacement did the same thing I'd change to a rMBP.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I'd return it for exchange, and if a second replacement did the same thing I'd change to a rMBP.

and then, after discovering IR on rMBP, exchange, and after another unit wit IR, what? to buy ipad?:D

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014

I am actually already on my second replacement:)
I cannot convince Apple to give me a replacement rMBP, very frustrating:mad:. But I would love it if they did, though I'd miss my little Air. Maybe someday I'll wipe the hard drive and try to replicate the issue to prove that it is a hardware issue, so they'll give me a replacement; but for now I am not so keen on doing that.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Take a picture or video of it happening the next time it does - that should suffice to show Apple what's happening with the second replacement.

I didn't mean to say they should exchange your Air for a MBP - what I'd suggest is they credit you the purchase price of your Air towards a MBP.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Take a picture or video of it happening the next time it does - that should suffice to show Apple what's happening with the second replacement.

I didn't mean to say they should exchange your Air for a MBP - what I'd suggest is they credit you the purchase price of your Air towards a MBP.

I already took a picture of the issue on the replacement, and even took a screenshot on which the issue did not appear. But Apple still wants me to delete everything an start fresh. I guess I'll live with it for now.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I may be missing something here (completely possible), but why not just try the fresh install approach that Apple is suggesting? Then add back additional (non standard) things one by one?

I had a similar kind of issue several years back, and was convinced it was a HW issue. It turned out to be a third party driver I had installed.

At least a fresh install would verify that it is a software issue.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I may be missing something here (completely possible), but why not just try the fresh install approach that Apple is suggesting? Then add back additional (non standard) things one by one?

I had a similar kind of issue several years back, and was convinced it was a HW issue. It turned out to be a third party driver I had installed.

I would, but I really don't want to go without all my stuff for a long period of time, just because of a little line issue.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011

I would, but I really don't want to go without all my stuff for a long period of time, just because of a little line issue.

OK - I get that. But if you do a CarbonCopy or Time Machine backup, do a fresh install, and then check to see if the issue is there or not, you can always restore pretty quickly. Will at least save you the trouble of wondering whether this is a HW or SW issue.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
OK - I get that. But if you do a CarbonCopy or Time Machine backup, do a fresh install, and then check to see if the issue is there or not, you can always restore pretty quickly. Will at least save you the trouble of wondering whether this is a HW or SW issue.
I have time machine backups--but the only problem is sometimes its hard to replicate the issue; so I might be left without my data for some time before i replicate the issue; and Apple wants me to add back my data a little at a time, without ever restoring from a backup; so if i restored from my backup after seeing the issue on the fresh install, Apple still might not accept it as being hardware.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Ok everyone, I decided to contact Apple once again; I created a separate partition and installed Mavericks to it to replicate the issue; I was able to successfully replicate the issue within this partition and Apple said that this confirms it is a hardware issue. SOOOO I might have to go through a few more repairs but hopefully then I'll get replacement of a rMBP or maybe a 2014 Air to fix the issue once and for all.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i also have the same problem... MBA mid 2013 still under warranty what should i do? i can't really replicate the problem...

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
i also have the same problem... MBA mid 2013 still under warranty what should i do? i can't really replicate the problem...

You should definitely contact AppleCare, or if possible take it into an Apple Store. Try replicating the issue by changing the desktop wallpaper over and over using the arrow keys; after doing this for a few minutes I can usually replicate the line. Then take a picture with your phone or camera of the line, and if possible take a screenshot by hitting cmd shift 3 simultaneously to prove that it doesn't show up in a screenshot (mine didn't show up in the screenshot so I doubt it would show up in yours).
Apple will probably do the same repairs that they did for me (CSD and then logic board). If the repairs don't work like in my case, they might give you a replacement though it might end up having the same issue like mine did, and I'm not sure if your store would give you a replacement or not, it just depends.
It's up to you if you want to pursue it, it's sure annoying having to go through useless repairs, but unfortunately that's what's necessary to get a replacement :( I'm hoping that if they repair my replacement and it doesn't fix the issue, they'll just give me a rMBP cause it seems to be an issue with many Airs and I don't want to get a third MBA with the same issue.

Last edited:

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
You should definitely contact AppleCare, or if possible take it into an Apple Store. Try replicating the issue by changing the desktop wallpaper over and over using the arrow keys; after doing this for a few minutes I can usually replicate the line. Then take a picture with your phone or camera of the line, and if possible take a screenshot by hitting cmd shift 3 simultaneously to prove that it doesn't show up in a screenshot (mine didn't show up in the screenshot so I doubt it would show up in yours).
Apple will probably do the same repairs that they did for me (CSD and then logic board). If the repairs don't work like in my case, they might give you a replacement though it might end up having the same issue like mine did, and I'm not sure if your store would give you a replacement or not, it just depends.
It's up to you if you want to pursue it, it's sure annoying having to go through useless repairs, but unfortunately that's what's necessary to get a replacement :( I'm hoping that if they repair my replacement and it doesn't fix the issue, they'll just give me a rMBP cause it seems to be an issue with many Airs and I don't want to get a third MBA with the same issue.

thank you for your input. Ill try to replicate the problem and take a picture, and see what they say when i go there... I'm not in a rush since the problem is real minor, i can still use my MBA no problem...

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
thank you for your input. Ill try to replicate the problem and take a picture, and see what they say when i go there... I'm not in a rush since the problem is real minor, i can still use my MBA no problem...
I am sure that this is impossible to solve and that it is os x glitch. But, try your luck;)

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Update

Ok everyone, now I will be making a trip to the Apple Store to get this issue worked out; I contacted AppleCare yet again and they said to tell the store that I already had repairs done on my previous Air; so I called the store and they said to bring it in and they would decide what the next step was. SO hopefully they won't do a bunch of repairs again, the guy at AppleCare said they would probably ship in another Air from a different part of the country as a replacement, cause maybe it is something to do with the Airs from my particular store (which I doubt cause a lot of others across the web have the same issue). And if this Air had the same issue, he said they would probably upgrade my Mac to a Pro. I'm finally on the verge of getting this line fixed once and for all :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.