Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi all,

So I've been doing some research but can't say with confidence i'm on any definitive solution yet when it comes to having and paying for a service in which I can simply open up my phone or laptop, type in a name and get a background check on an individual.

What i've found so far is that many of these services online simply gather public record information and bundle it up for the customer (in this case me). Ideally if i'm paying for a service, i'd pay a bit more if I could get as much info as I could. Considering this is MacRumors i'm disclosing up front I'm not trying to obtain deep deep secrets about people, but ideally would like to cover my @$$ when it comes to going out on a date with the tatted biker chick (lol jk) or seeing who my cousin is going out with to Vegas for the weekend. In no way am i planning on using this service for something illegal such as hiring people for my business. That's a whole different channel.

Though i'm not oppose to paying per search, ideally i'd love to have a recurring monthly subscription where at my leisure I can type in a name and just see if there are any red flags to be aware of.

Community, do your worst.
I mean, help a brother out. :D

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
If this service isn't available, I see it coming soon. In this day and age you can't be too careful. There are several devices that will do a check but it's a per use fee. I don't know of any subscription service ones.

I can see the tv commercials now...

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
...ideally would like to cover my @$$ when it comes to going out on a date with the tatted biker chick (lol jk) or seeing who my cousin is going out with to Vegas for the weekend. In no way am i planning on using this service for something illegal

Illegal? Perhaps not.

Creepy? Oh, hell yes. Textbook definition of it.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Creepy? Oh, hell yes. Textbook definition of it.

While it may be creepy, in this day sometimes it is needed. One of my former step-daughters, was dating a guy who gave me the creeps. He was a few years older than her and he made an inappropriate joke to me. I had dispatch run him and found out that he had pending charges for aggravated sexual assault.

I have an excellent relationship with my former step-children from both marriages and was able to bring this to her in a way that she wasn't upset with me for running the check. He's no longer in the picture.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Hi all,

So I've been doing some research but can't say with confidence i'm on any definitive solution yet when it comes to having and paying for a service in which I can simply open up my phone or laptop, type in a name and get a background check on an individual.

What i've found so far is that many of these services online simply gather public record information and bundle it up for the customer (in this case me). Ideally if i'm paying for a service, i'd pay a bit more if I could get as much info as I could. Considering this is MacRumors i'm disclosing up front I'm not trying to obtain deep deep secrets about people, but ideally would like to cover my @$$ when it comes to going out on a date with the tatted biker chick (lol jk) or seeing who my cousin is going out with to Vegas for the weekend. In no way am i planning on using this service for something illegal such as hiring people for my business. That's a whole different channel.

Though i'm not oppose to paying per search, ideally i'd love to have a recurring monthly subscription where at my leisure I can type in a name and just see if there are any red flags to be aware of.

Community, do your worst.
I mean, help a brother out. :D

Just how many background checks per month do you expect to be doing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.