Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Hello!

The 2nd drive on my macbook pro is NTFS shared between both OSX and Windows, for data storage.

I notice OSX stores a lot of hidden data in my flashdrives and when I delete that file from a windows environment, the data is NOT completely removed.

So logically that probably happens when I transfer files from OSX to the NTFS storage drive and delete them on the Windows side. My concern is that my drive might become full of this hidden data, which is quite big.

How to deal with that? Should I prevent OSX from creating these files in my 2nd drive and also in flashdrives?

Thanks!

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
How big are these files? In my experience they tend to be only a couple of Kb, the only one that gets pretty large is .trashes but this can be cleared by simple emptying your trash can.

----------

Also if you disable indexing on that drive, you should rid yourself of the .Spotlight files :)

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
How big are these files? In my experience they tend to be only a couple of Kb, the only one that gets pretty large is .trashes but this can be cleared by simple emptying your trash can.

Yes, thats exactly the problem. When I delete the file from the flash drive (or in my case the shared NTFS drive) on the Windows side. Emptying trash can on windows does nothing to these OSX .trashes and I end up with a filled up flash drive usually. So I imagine the same thing is happening on my NTFS drive and it's get filled with enormous files which I cant remove.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Yes, thats exactly the problem. When I delete the file from the flash drive (or in my case the shared NTFS drive) on the Windows side. Emptying trash can on windows does nothing to these OSX .trashes and I end up with a filled up flash drive usually. So I imagine the same thing is happening on my NTFS drive and it's get filled with enormous files which I cant remove.

Hmmm strange, If you've emptied your trash can on both sides there shouldn't be any files in .trashes:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.