Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pioneer announced earlier this year that its latest aftermarket NEX infotainment systems will be compatible with CarPlay, allowing customers to install the Apple technology in an existing automobile. The hardware requires only a firmware update that is expected to be available in "a few weeks", putting the company on or even slightly ahead of its original "early summer" schedule.

pioneer_carplay.jpg
Pioneer was in San Francisco this week showcasing the technology, which provides drivers with an integrated experience for placing phone calls, using maps, listening to music and messaging via Siri. As noted by Macworld, demo cars included the high-end $1400 Pioneer AVH-8000NEX system, which contains an in-dash capacitive touchscreen that allows the driver to tap on the infotainment screen to interact with the CarPlay system. CarPlay also supports hands-free operation using Siri to control many of the available functions.

Macworld did note some issues with Siri's ability to handle background noise in the car, but Pioneer's Ted Cardenas pointed out that with Siri's ability to learn and improve over time, those background noises will become less of a distraction as Siri learns to pick out the driver's voice.

The current version of Apple's Carplay technology requires a Lightning cable connection between the iPhone and the receiver, limiting its usage to the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c. Rumored wireless support over Wi-Fi connection has not been confirmed by Apple, but even then the feature would require updated hardware for Pioneer, as the current NEX systems do not support Wi-Fi connectivity.

Pioneer is one of the first automobile electronics companies to offer an aftermarket CarPlay system to customers who don't want to purchase a new car in order to experience the feature. Alpine also announced its own series of aftermarket CarPlay receivers, but they are expected to arrive later this year.

Article Link: Pioneer's NEX In-Dash Systems to Receive CarPlay Firmware Update in a 'Few Weeks'

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
They won't be updating the AppRadio because it doesn't cost enough. They'd be killing any reason to buy the more expensive units.

Sad my AppRadio 3 won't be updated and it's just 6 months old.

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Just bought myself a Nissan Qashqai. It has a small app store so I hope they put CarPlay in it as well..
Wishful thinking?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'll consider when it's wireless. I'm happy with the level I get from BT right now, since I don't even have to take the phone out of my pocket. That's more important than more app integration.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
How about a CarPlay mode directly on your iPhone or iPad? A possible iOS 8 feature?

Enabling a simplified UI like CarPlay directly on your device makes a lot of sense for people who car share instead of own.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
i wish ford would get off the horrendous MS Sync feature. we love our car in every way except that. would love the ability to install CarPlay...or really, just about any other system.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
But before we put a $1400 touchscreen device into our car so that it can utilize a few of the apps of iOS, why not just buy a "whole" iPad or iPad mini and get that installed instead? At $1400, one could install 2-3 "whole" iPads so that passengers could use more than one screen for more than 1 purpose. I think this is cool and all but I have a hard time seeing the utility of $1400 for limited functionality vs. full functionality for as little as $399 (plus installation). A quick look around has iPad install kits for <$200.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
CarPlay seems to have the affliction that Apple claimed NFC had: it's a solution that no one is looking for an answer to.

The way that this is being attempted to be implemented is clunky, at best.

mikeyrko

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2009
SC
I don't see where wireless is a huge deal if you are using it it's going to be wearing out your battery. At least this way it's charging.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
i wish ford would get off the horrendous MS Sync feature. we love our car in every way except that. would love the ability to install CarPlay...or really, just about any other system.

Yeah I hear you on that one. I desperately want the 2015 mustang and while it wouldn't stop me, Ford Sync gives me a huge hesitation. It's like finally getting your dream girl but she has herpes...

----------

CarPlay seems to have the affliction that Apple claimed NFC had: it's a solution that no one is looking for an answer to.

The way that this is being attempted to be implemented is clunky, at best.

You obviously have never used Ford Sync or any of the sh***y sh***y navigation systems that are 2006 maps on 2014 cars.

mikeyrko

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2009
SC
But before we put a $1400 touchscreen device into our car so that it can utilize a few of the apps of iOS, why not just buy a "whole" iPad or iPad mini and get that installed instead? At $1400, one could install 2-3 "whole" iPads so that passengers could use more than one screen for more than 1 purpose. I think this is cool and all but I have a hard time seeing the utility of $1400 for limited functionality vs. full functionality for as little as $399 (plus installation). A quick look around has iPad install kits for <$200.

For $200 might get you started but will cost way more unless you are really good at modding.
Also retail price is $1400 you can get it in amazon for the $900 price range some of the nex receivers are much cheaper.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

Even the lower end model has carplay ($900). I have been toying with the idea of an iPad Mini for a while but there are too many complications to consider when you have a complete system from them for $100-200 more.

jml12286

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Denver
Bluetooth carplay would be ideal. I don't see myself ever taking my phone out to plug in the cable, unless I'm on a long trip.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Even the lower end model has carplay ($900). I have been toying with the idea of an iPad Mini for a while but there are too many complications to consider when you have a complete system from them for $100-200 more.

Thanks. However, I see these guys seemingly able to put ANYTHING in a dash for not much money (maybe I'm just around that kind of crowd). I see dash install kits via simple search for <$200. Yes, one needs to add some labor to those. But it seems it would take a lot of labor to get up toward $900 or $1400 where you then have a screen with only limited app availability and functionality.

And again, "complete"??? I'm talking about the full functionality of an iPad mini vs. what appears to be "only a few apps" functionality of these carplay screens.

I'm not trying to put it down or anything- just looking at it from a standpoint of value vs. a "hack" of having a "whole" iPad installed in dash.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I wish there was more clarity from car manufacturers as to which models will be supported. There's plenty of in car electronic system that could theoretically support CarPlay with a firmware update, but nobody has said anything. It's not even sure when cars will be available in dealership with the feature.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV

Depends on what you're using it for. Your iPad / mini isn't a stereo receiver. You can't connect your amplifier to it, etc. For me..I wouldn't need all of the functionality of a whole iPad in my car. I need GPS, messages, music, and that's about it. I'll let the receiver take care of the rest. Plus, it will look a whole lot better than trying to force an iPad into space where it wasn't designed to be, unless you shell out a LOT of $$ for custom work, in that case, refer to the part where you are replacing your receiver as well.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Yet one more distraction behind the wheel. Gee, thanks! I feel safer already!

+1

Why do we need this? Most modern cars have bluetooth streaming audio and navigation. Not sure what void this fills. If anything, it takes the focus off of paying attention to the road.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Yeah I hear you on that one. I desperately want the 2015 mustang and while it wouldn't stop me, Ford Sync gives me a huge hesitation. It's like finally getting your dream girl but she has herpes...

----------

You obviously have never used Ford Sync or any of the sh***y sh***y navigation systems that are 2006 maps on 2014 cars.

I have; but at least those are fully integrated. A $1400 after market head unit with a need to tether to an iPhone is hardly a strong implementation tactic. Why isn't Apple doing what many have called for, with just iPad installation into the dash? Hard wire power behind the dash, and it would look just like video consoles today...

Until then, mounting an iPad mini/Nexus 7 will be perfect for me.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Depends on what you're using it for. Your iPad / mini isn't a stereo receiver. You can't connect your amplifier to it, etc. For me..I wouldn't need all of the functionality of a whole iPad in my car. I need GPS, messages, music, and that's about it. I'll let the receiver take care of the rest. Plus, it will look a whole lot better than trying to force an iPad into space where it wasn't designed to be, unless you shell out a LOT of $$ for custom work, in that case, refer to the part where you are replacing your receiver as well.

OK. In my car there's an in-dash AUX port. So a simple (hidden) wire from headphone out to AUX in would "connect my iPad to the car's amplifier" and thus speakers.

I suppose that if I pulled the manufacturers radio, I wouldn't have radio anymore… unless one wants to count iRadio or iHeartRadio. Like you I need GPS too. Would Carplay limit me to only Apple's Maps app or could I sub in Googles Maps app if I desired? Music is covered. Messages is covered. Etc.

Now, suppose some apps come out that would extend the usefulness of this screen in the car. Does carplay run yelp? hotels.com app? orbitz app?

What if you want it to double as some entertainment for the passenger? Will it play iOS games? movies? and so on.

All that likely works with an iPad mounted in dash. Yes, it might be at the cost of a traditional radio but is that a big loss? For me personally, local radio has become too many commercials and too few songs. When they get around to playing a song, it's seems to be the same 8-12 over and over (I'm starting to think radio stations own only the latest copy of "Now that what I call music").

As far as forcing something into a space it wasn't designed for, that applies to either option. Neither would be "designed for" ANY aftermarket forcing of something else into a space. If a hole is going to be created to accommodate a Pioneer touch screen, it seems a similar hole could accommodate an Apple touchscreen. Maybe the Pioneer device is smaller than an iPad mini screen???

As far as looking a whole lot better, I would think it would look about the same. Does that picture of an iPad like screen lead anyone to think that screen installed would look better than a whole iPad or mini installed? I would think depending on the installer, one couldn't even tell the difference until it was switched on.

Again, not putting it down or anything- just questioning $900 or $1400 vs. a "whole" iPad or mini custom installed for what seems like it would likely be less-to-considerably-less.

Last edited:

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks. However, I see these guys seemingly able to put ANYTHING in a dash for not much money (maybe I'm just around that kind of crowd). I see dash install kits via simple search for <$200. Yes, one needs to add some labor to those. But it seems it would take a lot of labor to get up toward $900 or $1400 where you then have a screen with only limited app availability and functionality.

And again, "complete"??? I'm talking about the full functionality of an iPad mini vs. what appears to be "only a few apps" functionality of these carplay screens.

I'm not trying to put it down or anything- just looking at it from a standpoint of value vs. a "hack" of having a "whole" iPad installed in dash.

iPad Mini: $420
Install + Labor: $200
Miscellaneous parts: $100

Your already at $800 with the minimum. With an iPad mini, you of the bat lose AM/FM functionality and Bluetooth functionality. You cant pull up messages or make phone calls. Lastly the interface is not designed for use in the car, where your much further away than regular use.

With the system and Carplay, you retain AM/FM functionality and with a simply plug into your phone you have all messages/contacts and phone functionality routed through your larger screen and sound system. All this along with a much easier to use interface.

SCMedic

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
This is the audiophile's solution and a much cleaner setup than installing an iPad in dash. I contemplated and laid out how to go with the iPad and to get good quality audio out of it, you'd need a few different items that greatly increase the price. If you want crap audio over bluetooth, just stick it to your dash with velcro and poop on people who spent more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.