Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 16, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

OS X 10.9.3 Bug Hides '/Users' Folder for Some Users [Updated]

Apple yesterday released OS X 10.9.3 with support for 4K displays, contact and calendar syncing improvements, and more. Many (but not all) users are, however, experiencing a bug in the update that hides the /Users folder.

The /Users folder is a top-level folder that contains the home folder and personal files for each user on a Mac. It's not clear why only some OS X users lose access to the /Users folder, but the inability to browse this folder could be problematic for some Mac owners affected by the glitch.

A range of solutions for the bug have been suggested with varying degrees of complexity, with perhaps the simplest noted by Kirk McElhearn and Chris Breen of Macworld:
Quote:
Launch Terminal (/Applications/Utilities), enter "sudo chflags nohidden /Users", and press the Return key. You'll be prompted for your user password. Enter it, press Return again, and the Users folder will be visible as it once was.
This solution is not, however, a permanent one, as the issue will reappear if the machine is restarted and the fix will need to be applied again.

Breen goes on to outline a more permanent solution that involves creating an AppleScript for running the Terminal command and saving it as an application to run at login.

Another recommendation comes from The Loop's Dave Mark, who suggests creating an alias for the folder that will remain accessible even with the folder itself hidden.
Quote:
For a more permanent solution, [after manually navigating to the hidden folder] control-click on the /Users folder and select Make Alias from the contextual menu that appears. Though the /Users folder will become hidden again when you close your Finder window, the alias will stick around.
For many users, the bug will not have a significant impact on their Mac usage, as they can still access their own home folders through shortcuts in the Finder sidebar. Consequently, some users who are not inconvenienced by the bug may prefer to simply wait for Apple to address it in a future update.

Update 10:30 AM PT: As noted by MacObserver, the issue may be caused by a combination of iTunes 11.2 and Find My Mac rather than OS X 10.9.3. The site tested each update released yesterday and found the /Users and /Users/Shared folders only disappeared after iTunes 11.2 was installed on a Mac with Find My Mac enabled.

Article Link: OS X 10.9.3 Bug Hides '/Users' Folder for Some Users [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:26 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Glad to hear it's a bug, but when will it be fixed?
Old May 16, 2014, 11:27 AM   #3
hobbbz
macrumors 6502a

Yup, I've got it.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:27 AM   #4
mojolicious
macrumors 6502a

It would be nice to hear something from Apple, would it not?
mojolicious is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Thats why I always do any software update after a week released, but if its troublesome maybe they can reinstall the OS to 10.9.2
Old May 16, 2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Jacquesvw
macrumors regular

I wondered where my users folder went.
Jacquesvw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:29 AM   #7
kwokaaron
macrumors regular

Still appears on mine... guess I'm one of the "(but not all) users".

Last edited by kwokaaron; May 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
kwokaaron is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:29 AM   #8
alexandr
macrumors member

Pretty. first they hide the library folder, now this.
alexandr is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Futurix
macrumors regular

Have the issue
Nothing else is affected though - the folder is still accessible, and Go to Folder is not affected.

Do you think that's intentional?
Futurix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:32 AM   #10
danielsutton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Glad to hear it's a bug, but when will it be fixed?
Apple hides the Library directory from Finder by default. A thought that crossed my mind is that Apple now wants to add /Users to its list of hidden directories. I hope this is not the case, however.
danielsutton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:32 AM   #11
Akuratyde
macrumors regular

I have the issue as well. Terminal fix worked great. I can't imagine why this would be intentional, what benefit would one gain?
Akuratyde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:32 AM   #12
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Just had a scary thought: what if the bug is the other way around? What if Apple intentionally wanted to hide the Users folder, but the bug doesn't do it on all computers? Maybe Apple wanted to do something like it did with the Library folder in a user's home directory?

Please tell me I missed something that explicitly stated that I'm wrong.
guzhogi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:33 AM   #13
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Easy fix, but not sure why Apple believes it has to hide folders. Some of us need to search through those folders from time to time to config things, especially the Library folder. Guess they are worried about inexperienced people getting into the files, so better to hide.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:35 AM   #14
JilzVT
macrumors member

Has there been any official confirmation that it is a bug and not intentional?
JilzVT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:36 AM   #15
MapleGrove
macrumors newbie

50/50

The bug affects my 2008 iMac, but not my 2008 MacBook Pro.
MapleGrove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:36 AM   #16
critter13
macrumors regular

sidebar

Unhide it and move it to the sidebar "favorites", it will stay there. My folder disappeared but I have had it in the sidebar and it still works fine there. strange bug though.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:37 AM   #17
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Didn't even notice until this article.

I have invisible files shown normally, so it's not a big deal.
iVoid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:37 AM   #18
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsutton View Post
Apple hides the Library directory from Finder by default. A thought that crossed my mind is that Apple now wants to add /Users to its list of hidden directories. I hope this is not the case, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Easy fix, but not sure why Apple believes it has to hide folders. Some of us need to search through those folders from time to time to config things. Guess they are worried about inexperienced people getting into the files, so better to hide.
Don't forget that the general person might not have a need to go through these folders. Many might think, "Oh, what's this folder? I don't need this!" and trash it. Not everyone is as tech-savvy as MacRumors readers.
guzhogi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:38 AM   #19
Razeus
macrumors 68040

They just want everyone in their household to spend more money to have their own Macs. Much like they do iPads. Apple doesn't want multi-user accounts.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:41 AM   #20
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Well I may have a slight lead on this. I've never seen this before (showed up during installation).

Also, I don't remember the /Users/ folder allowing "Everyone" Read & Write privileges.

Anybody else seeing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 11.28.01 AM.png
Views:	2591
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	472648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 11.40.41 AM.png
Views:	2451
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	472652  
Old May 16, 2014, 11:41 AM   #21
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

One suggestion is that people were deleting the folder and borking their machine, so Apple was hiding it to prevent that. However, I find that highly unlikely. I think it is some strange glitch. There are many reasons to have that folder visible.

However, I am always baffled at how Macs are configured out of the box. I always spend the first few minutes on a new machine putting an alias of the documents folder, apps folder, downloads folder and utilities folder on the dock so that I can get to stuff quickly. And I always show my HD on the desktop. The standard setup makes me feel like they don't want me to get to anything.

One thing I have noticed is how much variety there is among Mac users in how they access various things. I always think my way is the only way and then I get on someone else's Mac and things are all different, but it works for them.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:41 AM   #22
kagharaht
macrumors regular

Finder preference and you can add it from there also. No need for terminal to do that.
kagharaht is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:42 AM   #23
Rafagon
macrumors member

I went with the Make Alias option. Works for me.

I have another issue, but it's not that disturbing: Software Update keeps telling me "Restart required", even though I have restarted several times since the update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 12.41.19 PM.png
Views:	59
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	472653  
Rafagon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:42 AM   #24
Mac Pro 2009
macrumors member

The articles doesn't say whether Apple is aware of this issue?
Mac Pro 2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:43 AM   #25
addicted44
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandr View Post
Pretty. first they hide the library folder, now this.
I can understand hiding the Library folder. A naive user could lose a lot of important data/settings by deleting what look like junk files.

But hiding the Users folder makes absolutely no sense. How are you supposed to navigate to another User's dropbox, or their public folder?
addicted44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion