Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cft678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2014
I have an 2011 imac. I erased the hard drive and started to reinstall the mountain lion, i entered my apple id because it asked for it, but it wouldnt start to install and then came text "mountain lion couldnt be installed, because it isnt bought with this apple id". So i thought that os x is tied to the apple id which it is purchased with, so i tried to install snow leopard to it. I put the snow leopard install dvd (retail version) in and pressed the "option" button when the computer started, so i got the boot options and chose the dvd. It wont start installing it just makes 3 "BEEB" sounds in a row and the screen is blank.

I'm really mad that this relatively expensive computer is completely useless now. There has to be some way to make this computer work again. i cant even get to the internet with it to purchase new mountain lion and not even sure would that even work.

What the hell is the point to even make operating systems to work with only one ID/computer that cant be reinstalled with out it and to prevent installing another operating system!?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, Mountain Lion would need the AppleID entered that was used to purchase it.

If this is the grey Snow Leopard DVD that came with the machine, that should work to allow you get going then update to the free Mavericks if you want.

That three beeps usually means bad memory though.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Hey!

While your drive is empty and in need of an Operating System . . . . that you're having difficulty installing . . . .

Run the Apple Hardware Test from the Recovery Environment.

see failed memory and three beeps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.