Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 16, 2014, 05:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Buys Visual Translation App 'Word Lens', Makes It Free for Limited Time

Google has bought the popular iOS and Android visual translation app Word Lens to "incorporate [the] technology into Google Translate's broad language coverage", according to a statement on Quest Visual's website.

The software uses a smartphone camera to translate signs in real time into the users native language. The technology is remarkable and used by many world travelers. Previously, translation packs were available as in-app purchases, but Quest Visual has made all the packs and the app itself free for a limited time.

The company did not say how long the app will be available for free, so interested users should download it while it is available. Translations are available between English and Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian, French and Spanish.

Word Lens is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Buys Visual Translation App 'Word Lens', Makes It Free for Limited Time
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Jakexb
macrumors member

Oh snap. That app is in Apple's latest iphone commercial.
Jakexb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 05:33 PM   #3
iLoveiTunes
macrumors regular

ok, I liked the free part
iLoveiTunes is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 05:34 PM   #4
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

As featured in Apple's iPhone 5s ad. Whoops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmfmUWqlSA
dannyyankou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Jamesellis
macrumors newbie

How much did they buy it for??
Jamesellis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 05:39 PM   #6
seble
macrumors 6502a

Wow I downloaded this ap pages ago but deleted because of the cost, first thing I did was reinstall and get all of those free language packs!
seble is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
I travel a good bit around the world, and this app is indispensable.

get it while it's free - it was well worth the paid price.
Old May 16, 2014, 05:45 PM   #8
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
Wow I downloaded this ap pages ago but deleted because of the cost, first thing I did was reinstall and get all of those free language packs!
I just did the same thing, it's actually very incredible how it works!
gmanist1000 is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Moonlight
macrumors 6502

Awesome software, awesome price, too bad Google bought it
Old May 16, 2014, 05:56 PM   #10
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
too bad Google bought it
Why? I'm sure the developers are thrilled to be financially set for life.
Old May 16, 2014, 05:58 PM   #11
polterbyte
macrumors regular

I can't accuse Google of being dumb.
Old May 16, 2014, 06:50 PM   #12
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Maybe he is saying it's too bad that Google bought it because apple should have bought them out first. Which would mean kntegration into the camera app etc. now we just can dream and see if they make the app android only from here on in.
Carlanga is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 06:56 PM   #13
benz240
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesellis View Post
How much did they buy it for??
I'm gonna guess around $300-400 million
benz240 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 07:19 PM   #14
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz240 View Post
I'm gonna guess around $300-400 million
Probably more like $30-$40 million, since this is a pure tech company. You only get into big numbers when you're dealing with an app with a large userbase.

It's a shame Apple didn't buy this; it would've been an easy win. This is valuable tech, innovative enough for Apple to feature in their own commercials, and yet they left it sitting on the table for Google to snap up. I don't understand Apple's acquisition strategy sometimes -- they tend to focus their acquisitions on hardware and manufacturing companies, and the few software companies they buy (aside from NeXT) have not been impressive (looking at you, Chomp). Even though objectively speaking, Apple is falling behind in certain areas as compared with Google's software and services.
petsounds is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 07:29 PM   #15
Soy Cowboy
macrumors newbie

I'm guessing that's Greek on the sign in the picture, but Greek isn't listed. Is it Russian? I'd get the ap if there were some Asian languages included. Oh well.

----------

Just noticed the top part. Never mind.
Soy Cowboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 07:51 PM   #16
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Word Lens has always been free. They charge for the language modules. Perhaps MR could help us out here and tell us what has actually changed. I tried it in Italy last year. Though the tech has a real coolness factor, I'd rate it as only modestly useful in real-world situations. Many of the translations are actually quite comical, so if you want a laugh in a foreign country, it is really quite excellent.
Old May 16, 2014, 08:02 PM   #17
-LikesMac-
macrumors 6502

My thoughts

Only thing that irritates me with this news is that Apple did not buy this app. It would have been great for iOS.

With that said, getting this app right now.

13'' MBP, 2.7GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD3000
-LikesMac- is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 08:06 PM   #18
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

When I try to download the language packs from within the app for free, I get an in-app purchase error saying that there was an error purchasing the item. Anyone else having the same problem?
avanpelt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 08:16 PM   #19
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I got this app when it first came out. Man, it's been so long. Nice to get the packs.

And I'm glad to see Google bought it. What took them so long?

It's great technology.
Old May 16, 2014, 08:18 PM   #20
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
When I try to download the language packs from within the app for free, I get an in-app purchase error saying that there was an error purchasing the item. Anyone else having the same problem?
Same problem
Old May 16, 2014, 08:28 PM   #21
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

I just bought the German language pack last week. Can I get a refund?

Back to the topic. We'd better wish google will incorporate it into the Google translate app, not Android only.
Old May 16, 2014, 08:28 PM   #22
lk400
macrumors 6502

Russian language must be useful, but Portuguese, Spanish, French are of limited use for English speakers. With some light study you can work out these languages fairly easily for basic understanding, and if you don't have the time for this, then you can type the words in to google translate. Sure this removes that step (when it works) but it would have real value if it translated languages with non roman letters like Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc. For those who can't read those scripts, there is no option for printed material. In that case this app would be more than a mere convenience and would add true value.
lk400 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 08:41 PM   #23
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk400 View Post
Russian language must be useful, but Portuguese, Spanish, French are of limited use for English speakers. With some light study you can work out these languages fairly easily for basic understanding, and if you don't have the time for this, then you can type the words in to google translate. Sure this removes that step (when it works) but it would have real value if it translated languages with non roman letters like Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc. For those who can't read those scripts, there is no option for printed material. In that case this app would be more than a mere convenience and would add true value.
Google Translate does not work offline.
Old May 16, 2014, 09:12 PM   #24
eac25
macrumors newbie

It's articles like this that make me check on MR - nice to get tips about apps like this, especially when they go free for a limited time.
Old May 16, 2014, 09:14 PM   #25
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk400 View Post
A lot of things are not as useful when you yourself can do some extra things to do the work. But that's the point, they make things at least a bit if not more than just a bit simpler and/or faster.
C DM is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion