Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bladerunner616

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2014
I lost my 6th gen Nano and need a new player for my iTunes library. I still might buy a Nano, but I am now leaning towards buying a used Touch.

I have seen some older models back to as far as the 1st generation at some good prices.

As I just will be using this for a music player, is there any downside to buying something older?

Or in a positive context, is there any upside to me buying a new model?

Thanks.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Probably not, since that's all I ever use my iPhone for anymore, and I'm fine. It might be overkill considering the meager capacity, though, and you may possibly be better off with a dedicated player like a Classic. And obviously, older models may suffer from older parts like the batteries, getting a bit worse as you look into older and older models.

bladerunner616

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2014
Probably not, since that's all I ever use my iPhone for anymore, and I'm fine. It might be overkill considering the meager capacity, though, and you may possibly be better off with a dedicated player like a Classic. And obviously, older models may suffer from older parts like the batteries, getting a bit worse as you look into older and older models.

Probably not any downsides or probably not any advantages?

I do want something I can exercise with, so I would probably stay away from a Classic.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Any old model will do the job as a music player, the only downside will be the battery life...

bladerunner616

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2014
I bought a 3rd gen 32K and so far it has been working well for me.

Although battery life is not incredible, it is good enough for me.

Thanks for the help everyone.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Go with a new Refurb 5th gen touch.

If you don't need the camera and only 16GB, you can get one for $150. $199 for 32GB, and $239 for 64GB.

The 5th gen is by far the only way to go for a touch. I use a 64GB 5G touch, and it sees more use than any of my iOS devices - including my iPhone.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I got a 5th gen for this purpose (podcasts, ebooks). I love it. super light and go anywhere. I think I paid $299 and kept second guessing that I should get a mini. But sometimes less is more

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
I recently purchased a 5th gen touch and it has my whole musical collection as well as some audio books and I've started getting into podcasts as well. I have the 64 GB version. My poor iphone only has 16gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.