Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranmyaku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Currently have a Lenovo PC running 64 bit Win 7, 3.1GHz Intel core i3, 8 Gb of Ram.

I bought a Macbook Air in 2012 (Intel core i7 with 8Gb of ram, 256 GB SSD) and use mavericks.

Before this purchase I had been a diehard PC person but I've been converted over the last couple years of using this machine. I've had no problems with it at all, and it has been plenty fast and ultra-portable.

I want to get rid of my home windows computer and get a mac of some variety. I can buy a Mac Mini A1347 Desktop - MD387LL/A (October, 2012) for $425. It has 4 Gb of Ram and a 2.5 GHz Intel core i5.

The main use of the home computer will just be web browsing, using itunes, watching movies, some light photoshop work.

This a good deal on a Mini ?

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Currently have a Lenovo PC running 64 bit Win 7, 3.1GHz Intel core i3, 8 Gb of Ram.

I bought a Macbook Air in 2012 (Intel core i7 with 8Gb of ram, 256 GB SSD) and use mavericks.

Before this purchase I had been a diehard PC person but I've been converted over the last couple years of using this machine. I've had no problems with it at all, and it has been plenty fast and ultra-portable.

I want to get rid of my home windows computer and get a mac of some variety. I can buy a Mac Mini A1347 Desktop - MD387LL/A (October, 2012) for $425. It has 4 Gb of Ram and a 2.5 GHz Intel core i5.

The main use of the home computer will just be web browsing, using itunes, watching movies, some light photoshop work.

This a good deal on a Mini ?

quite good!!!
the only thing i'd add is 8gb ram and a small SSD (plus dual drive kit) for a startup drive.

ranmyaku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Great.

I'm going to upgrade to 16 Gb of Ram I think. My wife sometimes does some work related stuff at home using autocad, 3ds max, and photoshop on large files.

Its pretty cheap on amazon and I have like 50 dollars in gift credits so it can be had for under 100 buck when i use this.

Was looking at SSD drives but I'll probably hold off for now, since I was trying to not spend more then like 500 or so total on the machine.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Great.

I'm going to upgrade to 16 Gb of Ram I think. My wife sometimes does some work related stuff at home using autocad, 3ds max, and photoshop on large files.

Its pretty cheap on amazon and I have like 50 dollars in gift credits so it can be had for under 100 buck when i use this.

Was looking at SSD drives but I'll probably hold off for now, since I was trying to not spend more then like 500 or so total on the machine.

If you think you will spend 50% or more of your time doing work stuff, get the RAM upgrade. If you will spend 50% or more of your time doing consumer tasks, the SSD will be the best upgrade. I'm sure you know how great the SSD is on the Air :).

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.