Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hi all,

Your iPhone can connect to the net from anywhere it can get a signal, almost anywhere.

How would one add this ability to a MacBook?

I'm imagining a small battery powered modem that creates a wi-fi network. Or something like that.

There's a nice little table in the back of our Eurovan, and if I had such a device I could take my work life mobile, and would get to spend a lot more time in the nearby state parks. How do I make this happen?

24667070006_large.jpg

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
It seems that the most reliable ways involve services (paid) like GoToMyPC. You *might* be able to do it with the native capabilities built into your Mac(s) now via Screen Sharing, etc, but you will need your home computer's IP address and you will need a network connection while on the road. You can use a mobile hotspot app on most smartphones for internet tethering with laptops but the specifics are carrier-dependent. There are also dedicated hotspot devices like those offered by Verizon: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/mobile-hotspot
You need to pay for a wireless data plan, but it's do-able. A buddy of mine uses one to connect to his office to work while on vacations or weekend kids' sporting events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.