Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I usually kepp 3G/LTE off - mainly to conserve battery and data, and also since I have access to wifi most of the time. The problem I recently noticed is that when my friends sent messages from their iphone, I didn't receive it on wifi, until I connected to 3G/LTE. I know that imessage goes through the data connection, but then why doesn't it show up when connected to wifi?
Do I need to turn-off imessage in settings and force all messages as same or is there any other workaround, and is there any downside of doing that? I get regular messages sent from other phones.

I know I can just enable 3G/LTE but since I have access to the computer most of the time, so keep it off on iphone. How much battery and data is used in standby when you enable 3G/LTE, but set background refresh, push notifications off?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Yes, as I mentioned above - I know I can turn on 3G/LTE. My question is about how to receive messages on wifi and the standby usage (battery and data). I am interested in understanding how it works and ways to optimize the performance.

It's a phone, just use it for what it's for. Just turn on the LTE/3G and enjoy it.

Silverrune

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
I usually kepp 3G/LTE off - mainly to conserve battery and data, and also since I have access to wifi most of the time. The problem I recently noticed is that when my friends sent messages from their iphone, I didn't receive it on wifi, until I connected to 3G/LTE. I know that imessage goes through the data connection, but then why doesn't it show up when connected to wifi?
Do I need to turn-off imessage in settings and force all messages as same or is there any other workaround, and is there any downside of doing that? I get regular messages sent from other phones.

I know I can just enable 3G/LTE but since I have access to the computer most of the time, so keep it off on iphone. How much battery and data is used in standby when you enable 3G/LTE, but set background refresh, push notifications off?

Seeing as you have access to a computer at the times when you are complaining about not receiving messages, download iMessage onto your computer. Problem solved. To answer your last question though, no one can give you a straight answer everyone's phone is different and will see different results. I would recommend getting a Mophie Juice Pack if you are that worried about battery life and just turn 3g/lte back on.

----------

Yes, as I mentioned above - I know I can turn on 3G/LTE. My question is about how to receive messages on wifi and the standby usage (battery and data). I am interested in understanding how it works and ways to optimize the performance.

They should automatically be sent to your phone if it's on wifi; if they are not I'd recommend updating to the latest iOS version. I don't find that turning 3g/lte on makes a difference on battery life unless you are in a low signal area where your phone has to constantly search for signal. Turning off iMessage in the settings will create further complications as your friends will still be trying to send to your iMessage account (which is not the same as texting) and you will never receive them.

Hope I helped. Going to take a shower, then I'll be back.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I am using a PC, if you know how to get messages then please let me know.
btw, I am using 5s with 7.1.1 and I did look around for a solution for messages not being received and then only decided to post here.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico

so you buy an $800 something phone and you turn everything off to save battery? 3G/LTE off while idle won't save that much battery you know

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
To be clear, you're turning "Cellular Data" off? My iPhone doesn't have a 3G/LTE switch so I was curious. With Cellular Data disabled, your iPhone should operate fully on WiFi - although it might put the WiFi to sleep after a while if not plugged in.

As for trouble receiving iMessages on WiFi, is the router/firewall blocking ports?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4245

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

Just leave LTE/3G on, you're not going to save that much battery turning it off. When you're on wifi, it will switch to that automatically so you don't need to shut off LTE/3G. On my iPhone 4 I didn't use iMessages that much because I was worried about data too. I turned it on for a few months and I didn't see any difference in my data usage. So IMO just turn on the LTE/3G and enjoy the phone for what it is.

so you buy an $800 something phone and you turn everything off to save battery? 3G/LTE off while idle won't save that much battery you know

Excatcly!! Just enjoy the phone. People pay all this money for a phone and don't use the full potential of it. I don't get it at all, it's like buying a sports car and just use it as a daily driver.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just leave LTE/3G on, you're not going to save that much battery turning it off. When you're on wifi, it will switch to that automatically so you don't need to shut off LTE/3G. On my iPhone 4 I didn't use iMessages that much because I was worried about data too. I turned it on for a few months and I didn't see any difference in my data usage. So IMO just turn on the LTE/3G and enjoy the phone for what it is.

Excatcly!! Just enjoy the phone. People pay all this money for a phone and don't use the full potential of it. I don't get it at all, it's like buying a sports car and just use it as a daily driver.

I know a few people with $100,000+ sports cars that are used as daily drivers.

However, to the ops point it's not about data usage, it's about why does imessage fail to deliver some messages on wifi. I never have that happen. imessages are delivered and sent via wifi without any issues.

I also turn off 3g/lte to save battery, I'm not worried about data usage as I have an unlimited plan.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I think op is asking something else. His problem is not that he turns data off, but rather the phone also has battery saving measures.

I know I have an old iPhone 4 that I have a separate line for. But that line does not have data, so the data is turned off for that iPhone. However most times I find that if i wake it up from sleep, it will not be connected to WiFi or 3G. I think the iPhone turns off WiFi to conserve battery as well, so when you are off data network, you don't get pushed the messages.

Here is an excerpt from an apple discussion:

By design, when the iphone goes into sleep mode, WiFi is turned off to conserve battery. The phone will then use the cellular data network for all data needs. Upon awaking, the phone will reconnect to WiFi, if available.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think op is asking something else. His problem is not that he turns data off, but rather the phone also has battery saving measures.

I know I have an old iPhone 4 that I have a separate line for. But that line does not have data, so the data is turned off for that iPhone. However most times I find that if i wake it up from sleep, it will not be connected to WiFi or 3G. I think the iPhone turns off WiFi to conserve battery as well, so when you are off data network, you don't get pushed the messages.

Here is an excerpt from an apple discussion:

Interesting so wifi goes to sleep, cellular data doesn't. Learn something new every day.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
@OP What I did for a day was see how much data I would use while LTE/cellular is turned on. My normal day I uploaded a few pics, surfed the web, and etc. It was about 10-20MB. Not to bad. During the week I turn it off because I'm around a lot of free wifi. Weekends when I'm running errands, I turn my cellular data on.

Battery - When I'm not using it as much, I decrease the brightness on the screen. Close out any games or apps. Push notifications are still running. Mail App I have Push notifications on but I have Fetch turned to Manually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.