Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 19, 2014, 05:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Intel CEO 'Guarantees' Broadwell Chips by This Holiday Season

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich has stated that Intel's next-generation Broadwell processors will launch during this holiday season, reports Reuters (via MacG).
Quote:
"I can guarantee for holiday, and not at the last second of holiday," Krzanich said in an interview. "Back to school - that's a tight one. Back to school you have to really have it on-shelf in July, August. That's going to be tough."
Originally expected to launch in Q3 2014, Krzanich noted that new manufacturing technologies are responsible for the delays surrounding Broadwell, but maintained that Intel is now on schedule to ship its new chips to manufacturers later this year. The statement comes after a leaked Intel roadmap surfaced this past February, which appeared to show an uncertain timetable for Apple's 2014 Mac updates.

A leaked Intel roadmap for 28-watt chips appropriate for 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro
With Intel's Broadwell chips launching near the end of this year however, it is possible that Apple could either choose to wait until next year to integrate Broadwell chips into the Retina MacBook Pro or launch updated models with slightly faster Haswell chips. Apple updated its standard models of the MacBook Air last month with a faster 1.4 GHz dual-core Intel i5 processor while cutting the price by $100.

It is also possible that Intel's new Broadwell chips could be used in the rumored 12-inch MacBook Air, which may coexist alongside or replace the current MacBook Air line. However, it is uncertain which specific chips Apple would use for the new notebook, as prior reports have pointed to the machine coming out towards the end of the third quarter.

As far as a next-generation iMac goes, Apple could also choose to hold off on an update until the appropriate Broadwell chips are out. However, a report last month claimed that Intel's faster Haswell desktop CPUs could arrive in May, with Apple perhaps launching updates sooner rather than later.

Apple is also rumored to have a low-cost iMac in the works, which could utilize more cost-efficient chips. According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the low-cost desktop computer could boost sales in critical foreign markets and increase shipments by up to 30 percent.

Article Link: Intel CEO 'Guarantees' Broadwell Chips by This Holiday Season
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:20 AM   #2
maflynn

Still that's not much time for companies like Apple to roll out new products, even if he promises that its not going to be the last second of the holiday.
Old May 19, 2014, 05:23 AM   #3
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Still that's not much time for companies like Apple to roll out new products, even if he promises that its not going to be the last second of the holiday.
Hopefully Apple will be aware of the timeframe/expected release date, and then can simply slot in the new chips instead of the old ones for their iMac update (along with a few other things).

I'm oversimplifying of course, but with any luck it shouldn't take Apple by surprise, or cause delays on updating their desktop/portable lines.
Old May 19, 2014, 05:29 AM   #4
Nozuka
macrumors 6502

Intel and Apple have been working very close lately, i'm sure Apple knows the exact timeframe.

That Intel guy doesn't go into specifics what Chips to expect though, mobile chips might still come at a later date.
Nozuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:31 AM   #5
TechGod
macrumors 65816

Well this is good news. Hope apple can do something and upgrade the MBP's in time. I have a early 2011 I wanna replace...

Last edited by maflynn; May 19, 2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: removed deleted post
TechGod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:31 AM   #6
SethBoy
macrumors member

Whats the roadmap like after Broadwell? Got a 6-year-old MacBook Pro Id like to replace with a 15" rMBP, but Im not sure if I should skip one more generation.
SethBoy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:33 AM   #7
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

I imagine Apple already has a handful of chips for testing. That seems to have been the case in the past.
rmatthewware is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:34 AM   #8
Jambalaya
macrumors 6502a

Sounds to me like 2015 before we these chips in Apple computers in any significant numbers across the range.
Old May 19, 2014, 05:37 AM   #9
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Hopefully Apple will be aware of the timeframe/expected release date
I am quite sure that Apple doesn't get its tech news for new components, from Macrumors and the like...
Old May 19, 2014, 05:43 AM   #10
opeter
macrumors 6502a

What about the Mac mini?
Old May 19, 2014, 05:46 AM   #11
bobob
macrumors 65816

Apple had the Haswell chips in the MBA pretty much the day they became available, and then had a 6 month jump on most other ultrabook manufacturers.

I wonder if the Broadwell roll-out will be similar?
bobob is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:49 AM   #12
michaelsviews
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeter View Post
What about the Mac mini?
No Love for the mini

Maybe there going to drop it all together
Old May 19, 2014, 05:51 AM   #13
casperes1996
macrumors regular

My guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeter View Post
What about the Mac mini?
If I were to guess, I'd say that a new one will be shown at WWDC with a Haswell refresh chip, and it'll be a silent upgrade to Broadwell later.
casperes1996 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:58 AM   #14
Cloudsurfer
macrumors 6502a

Looks like my new 15" MBP with Iris Pro 2 will arrive on my doorstep this Christmas
Cloudsurfer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:59 AM   #15
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer View Post
Looks like my new 15" MBP with Iris Pro 2 will arrive on my doorstep this Christmas
Hopefully, but Apple has taken several months to release an update to the laptop line after Intel releases a new chipset. I'm not sure if they'll push hard to get an update out the door before Christmas
Old May 19, 2014, 06:00 AM   #16
hydr
macrumors regular

12" retina macbook air made out of liquidmetal, with sapphire infused IGZO retina display with touch! (1/4th power of regular lcd) and broadwell 28watt processor. radical new design, only 840grams. battery life: 15 hours. performance on par with macbook pro retina. thickness: 1cm. PCI-e SSD 1GB/s read/write 256GB standard. two thunderbolt II, 1 USB 3 and TouchID. pre-order from june 17th - delivery expected august. $1999USD.
hydr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 06:05 AM   #17
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethBoy View Post
Whats the roadmap like after Broadwell? Got a 6-year-old MacBook Pro Id like to replace with a 15" rMBP, but Im not sure if I should skip one more generation.
Broadwell involves a process shrink, so it may have more hangups than a redesign of something based off the same process size. You won't see something like a 6 month window between architectures though. I doubt it will drop much below a year if they shorten the sales window at all.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:20 AM   #18
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Best way to increase the likelihood of a delay is for the CEO of a company to make a "guarantee". I've seen it happen too many times.
avanpelt is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 06:29 AM   #19
JosephAW
macrumors member

And when they fail to meet the guaranteed timeline like IBM then what? Roll out to A7 chips?
JosephAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 06:33 AM   #20
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephAW View Post
And when they fail to meet the guaranteed timeline like IBM then what? Roll out to A7 chips?
Totally different circumstances.

Back then Apple was about to go to Intel, but IBM promised the G5, which could ramp up to 3Ghz (back during the Ghz wars) and have a compelling mobile chip. They never got either and Apple circled back to Intel. There's no viable alternative and the A7 in't the solution either.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:41 AM   #21
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephAW View Post
There's an idea. When they fail to meet the deadline, migrate to slower chips.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:51 AM   #22
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
I am quite sure that Apple doesn't get its tech news for new components, from Macrumors and the like...
I agree, they'll get it from Intel directly -- sorry if the 'hopefully' caused any ambiguity!
Old May 19, 2014, 07:04 AM   #23
kahkityoong
macrumors regular

Small Haswell spec bump made more enticing with a price reduction (like the 2014 MacBook Airs) would keep things ticking over nicely till Broadwell arrives.
Old May 19, 2014, 07:05 AM   #24
Steve121178
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatthewware View Post
I imagine Apple already has a handful of chips for testing. That seems to have been the case in the past.
Yes of course. Intel would have provided Apple with Broadwell samples as far back as the middle of last year.
Old May 19, 2014, 07:08 AM   #25
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post
12" retina macbook air made out of liquidmetal, with sapphire infused IGZO retina display with touch! (1/4th power of regular lcd) and broadwell 28watt processor. radical new design, only 840grams. battery life: 15 hours. performance on par with macbook pro retina. thickness: 1cm. PCI-e SSD 1GB/s read/write 256GB standard. two thunderbolt II, 1 USB 3 and TouchID. pre-order from june 17th - delivery expected august. $1999USD.
You forgot 'MagSafe 3'.

"Once again, we made stuff even thinner, and didn't think ahead with MagSafe 2. So we're selling yet another proprietary connector and making our chargers less durable in the process."

Last edited by keysofanxiety; May 19, 2014 at 07:44 AM.
keysofanxiety is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion