Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 19, 2014, 05:58 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Original 'Rainbow' Apple HQ Signs Up for Auction, Bidding Starts at $10,000

The original "rainbow" Apple logo signs that were used at Apple's Cupertino, California headquarters are set to be auctioned off in June for somewhere between $10,000-$15,000, reports Design Taxi (via The Verge).

The signs will be auctioned off by British auction house Bonhams, with the larger, 46 x 49 inch version made out of foam and the smaller, 33 x 36 inch version made out of fiberglass. According to the auction, both signs were given to a longtime Apple employee after their removal in 1997.

Quote:
Two original exterior office building signs, approximately 46 x 49 x 1 1/2 inches and 33 1/2 x 36 x 6 inches, each with separate stem piece; the larger sign made of stiff foam with 6 vinyl applied colors; the smaller sign made of fiberglass backed with metal, vinyl applied colors; edgewear to both signs, some colors with slight pealing at transitions, larger sign with one color showing significant craquelure, both with stray marks and outdoor wear.
(Image credit: Glassdoor via Logo Design Love)
In use from 1977 to 1998, Apple's rainbow logo was designed by graphic artist Rob Janoff. According to Janoff, the logo was designed in two weeks after an examination of physical cross-sections and real apples, with the multi-colored stripe design personally approved by Steve Jobs. Appearing on every product from the Apple II to the Newton PDA, the rainbow logo was retired in favor of a monochrome version, which is still in use today.

Article Link: Original 'Rainbow' Apple HQ Signs Up for Auction, Bidding Starts at $10,000
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:59 AM   #2
Eddy Munn
macrumors 6502

Would look lovely on my wall.

2013 13" MacBook Air + iPad Mini with Retina Display + iPhone 5.
Eddy Munn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 05:59 AM   #3
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Every time I see the classic logo a bit of my heart tugs and wishes apple still used it
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 06:18 AM   #4
The Doctor11
macrumors 68020

I like the new apple logo a lot better. But I would love to have one of those amazing signs.
The Doctor11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 06:19 AM   #5
opeter
macrumors 6502a

Aaaahhh ... these are from the times, when the "company" still had some unspeakable Magic.

Today its all just flat, corporate ...
Old May 19, 2014, 06:45 AM   #6
I WAS the one
macrumors 6502a

i miss those days. I will sound like a fan boy but you need to accept that Steve Jobs was the only human being who knew how to control everyone opinions including costumers. he was a master mind.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:46 AM   #7
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
The rainbow Apple was fun, but the monochrome one looks sexier. Imagine replacing the monochrome logos on their current products with the rainbow ones... They looked great on products that were made of plastic and dull colors like beige, but they wouldn't look as good on say, a white or black iPhone, I don't think.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 06:49 AM   #8
MacRohde
macrumors regular

God I miss that colorful logo. The minimalism is starting to tire me. Everything just looks the same....

Let's spruce it all up a bit
Old May 19, 2014, 06:49 AM   #9
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opeter View Post
Aaaahhh ... these are from the times, when the "company" still had some unspeakable Magic.

By 'unspeakable magic', I think you mean there wasn't any magic to speak of ...
Old May 19, 2014, 07:24 AM   #10
Brandon263
macrumors 6502

I've got the original Samsung sign. Anyone want to buy it? ...Anyone? ...Anyone at all?

(sorry)
Brandon263 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 07:26 AM   #11
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:

And cheaper to produce today. The cost of the old Apple logo (on every Mac) I believe was one of the reasons Jobs dumped it.
Old May 19, 2014, 07:56 AM   #12
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And cheaper to produce today. The cost of the old Apple logo (on every Mac) I believe was one of the reasons Jobs dumped it.
There are several reasons why the six colors were dropped. One of the main reasons was Steve felt that the brand was tarnished during the Spindler and Amellio years. Thus, the logo was literally white washed. Getting rid of the six colors did make production cost lower but that was secondary.
CFreymarc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

I don't mean to be politically incorrect and hope not to offend anyone in anyway. However, when I see the old apple logo, it does remind me of the Gay Flag. It makes me wonder if there was any connection or if the color selection was just coincidental.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFreymarc View Post
There are several reasons why the six colors were dropped. One of the main reasons was Steve felt that the brand was tarnished during the Spindler and Amellio years. Thus, the logo was literally white washed. Getting rid of the six colors did make production cost lower but that was secondary.
I may be mistaken, but I also thought it had to do wth the Apple Records deal related to the name, logo, and music.
Old May 19, 2014, 08:18 AM   #14
ABCDEF-Hex
macrumors 6502

Do you want the $10-15K sign or -

a maxed out Mac Pro and 4K display?
Old May 19, 2014, 08:22 AM   #15
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Love the old logo. Have mine on my menu bar set as it on Mavericks. Even have that little inset.

$10,000 though!
Old May 19, 2014, 08:23 AM   #16
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFreymarc View Post
I've never heard of that. But it sounds very plausible. And a very interesting reason to do it. I know the costs were a factor too. But that being a 2ndary (but also very important factor) is plausible as well.

I didn't know those things you said. Thanks.
Old May 19, 2014, 08:27 AM   #17
Macatize
macrumors newbie

iPhone with classic logo

here's what the classic logo would look like on the iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone_oldlogo.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	472927  
Macatize is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:43 AM   #18
leon44
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
I don't mean to be politically incorrect and hope not to offend anyone in anyway. However, when I see the old apple logo, it does remind me of the Gay Flag. It makes me wonder if there was any connection or if the color selection was just coincidental.
I like the theory that it is a tribute to Alan Turing, the guy who cracked the enigma code and was prosecuted and chemically castrated for being gay.
I doubt it's true but I'd love it if it was...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing
leon44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:56 AM   #19
rnizlek
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macatize View Post
here's what the classic logo would look like on the iPhone.
I think that looks really sharp, but it wouldn't look as good on a black or gold model.
rnizlek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:57 AM   #20
DoubleU
macrumors member

Quote:
I don't mean to be politically incorrect and hope not to offend anyone in anyway. However, when I see the old apple logo, it does remind me of the Gay Flag. It makes me wonder if there was any connection .
Sorry to disappoint you but according to Wikipedia the Rainbow Flag was designed in 1978 while this article states that the Rainbow Apple was created in 1977.

I guess they just loved rainbows in late '70's California.
DoubleU is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:58 AM   #21
DonutHands
macrumors member

Quote:

you mean back when the company was on a decline heading towards bankruptcy?
DonutHands is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:59 AM   #22
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:

I think you are romanticizing a bit and filtering out all the unmagical years the multicolored logo reigned on product -- when LC IIIs, Performas, and IIVXs roamed the land. Most of the "magic" happened when Steve Jobs returned in '97. Even Steve Jobs recognized the multicolored logo was passť. The all-while logo was symbolic for a new era.

And if Apple wasn't anything but "corporate" during the Scully, Spindler, Ameilio years I don't know what the meaning of the word means. Those guys didn't really understand what made Apple Apple and ran the company like it was selling widget. They collectively ran the company into the ground.
Old May 19, 2014, 09:11 AM   #23
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Quote:

----------

I may be mistaken, but I also thought it had to do wth the Apple Records deal related to the name, logo, and music.
That was settled long before Steve came back to Apple. Also the "six colors" look started to look dated as there was a 70's retro fad in pop culture at the time. Many consider the updated logo a sign that Apple grew out of its corporate adolescence.
CFreymarc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 09:26 AM   #24
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Yeah, that iPhone. So corporate.
GeneralChang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 09:26 AM   #25
thewordiz
macrumors member

Roi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDEF-Hex View Post
a maxed out Mac Pro and 4K display?

In terms of "investment" I'd rather have the signs. The MP and certainly the 4K display will only depreciate, drop in price and be replaced by something in about 6 months. Actually less for the 4k display.

The signs, will probably continue to increase in value, it depends on what they finally sell for.
thewordiz is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion