Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I bought a used iPhone 5S.
It looks like it has been bent in the past, and the screen replaced.
Bottom left of the screen (123 button) is sometimes unresponsive (most likely because of the bend)

The nearest Apple store is an hour away, and before I take it there, I want to know what option will they provide me, and how much would they cost? (approx.)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I bought a used iPhone 5S.
It looks like it has been bent in the past, and the screen replaced.
Bottom left of the screen (123 button) is sometimes unresponsive (most likely because of the bend)

The nearest Apple store is an hour away, and before I take it there, I want to know what option will they provide me, and how much would they cost? (approx.)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Out of warranty replacement - $279 I believe.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Out of warranty replacement - $279 I believe.

But it is still within the one year warranty, how much is that one? And Im not sure who/where the previous owners replaced the screen. Would this have voided that warranty?

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
But it is still within the one year warranty, how much is that one? And Im not sure who/where the previous owners replaced the screen. Would this have voided that warranty?

Cosmetic damage is not covered by the one year warranty. So therefore it automatically falls out of warranty and the replacement fee is $279.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Cosmetic damage is not covered by the one year warranty. So therefore it automatically falls out of warranty and the replacement fee is $279.

Well technically its functional damage as a result of cosmetic damage. The bottom left button to switch between numbers and letters doesnt work about 40% of the time. Its pretty aggravating because there is no fix, I have to change to landscape to use it. But to make sure that would still fall out of warranty?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well technically its functional damage as a result of cosmetic damage. The bottom left button to switch between numbers and letters doesnt work about 40% of the time. Its pretty aggravating because there is no fix, I have to change to landscape to use it. But to make sure that would still fall out of warranty?

Correct. Pretty much anytime there is physical damage to the device warranty becomes void. If you drop your phone and a month later the home button stops working, Apple will say that the button stopped working because of damage the dropped caused even if that wasn't true. But there is no way to prove differently.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Well thank you, saved me an hours drive back and forth for no reason! I guess I will deal with it as it is.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well thank you, saved me an hours drive back and forth for no reason! I guess I will deal with it as it is.

Not only is physical damage not covered, but any work done on the device by anyone other than an Apple store or authorized shop also voids the warranty. If someone replaced the screen, that alone would do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.