Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 19, 2014, 11:19 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Groupon Introduces Gnome, an iPad-Powered Point-of-Sale System

Groupon today announced Gnome, a new point-of-sale system that integrates with the company's network of daily local deals. The iPad-based system provides a payment processing system as well as customer management tools for merchants that offer Groupon deals.

In addition to serving as an all-in-one cash register solution, Gnome allows customers to redeem their purchased Groupon offers either manually through the system or automatically if they have the Groupon app installed on their smartphone. Merchants can then access this customer data and use it to help improve future deals. It also improves the overall experience by minimizing those unfortunate occurrences when a user enters a business to redeem a deal, and the business is not equipped to process the offer.
Quote:
"When it's complete, Gnome will serve as an operating system for merchants to run their entire operation and enable them to create real-time promotions that bring customers into their business when they need them the most," Groupon CEO Eric Lefkofsky said in a release. "Gnome is an important step towards our long-term mission of creating a world where merchants are constantly connected to the Groupon local commerce platform."
Extending beyond Groupon vouchers, the POS system also can accept traditional payments, similar to Square's Square Register. This Gnome system provides emailed receipts, calculates taxes, and helps manage inventory for the retailer. According to Re/Code, Groupon is charging 1.8 percent plus 15 cents for Visa and Mastercard transactions, along with a $10 monthly Gnome fee, for the POS service.

Groupon Gnome is already in use by select retailers with "tens of thousands" of merchants expected adopt the system in the coming months.

Article Link: Groupon Introduces Gnome, an iPad-Powered Point-of-Sale System
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 11:35 AM   #2
AppleP59
macrumors 6502

Nice.
I always love to use the iPod touch point of sale devices they use at the apple store. They are the best advertising for how useful their produces are.
AppleP59 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

I have used from the end user perspective the squareregister and very much liked the experience. Many folks that I have spoken to from the merchant perspective have also spoken very well about the Square system. I do not see anything here other than being able to use a groupon code with the system. Although that is a nice integration, it will be interesting to see if that is enough to draw merchants to this system.
Old May 19, 2014, 01:18 PM   #4
ghost of jobs
Banned

Can I buy one for home use?..
ghost of jobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 01:37 PM   #5
jc1350
macrumors 6502a

IAMAL - I wonder if this product name legally conflicts with the Gnome desktop environment.
jc1350 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 02:04 PM   #6
swm
macrumors member

yeah, it looks great. however some countries - like the one i live in - have pretty strict regulations when it comes to POS/cash registers.
swm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Ties in with Groupon?

This register really is a POS.
Kaibelf is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 06:44 PM   #8
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1350 View Post
IAMAL - I wonder if this product name legally conflicts with the Gnome desktop environment.
The answer, seemingly, is no.

Groupon has successfully registered "Gnome" name as a US trademark in several computer-related categories.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...805:3iurkl.2.9

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...05:3iurkl.2.10

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...05:3iurkl.2.11
Old May 19, 2014, 10:39 PM   #9
WallToWallMacs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
The answer, seemingly, is no.

Groupon has successfully registered "Gnome" name as a US trademark in several computer-related categories.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...805:3iurkl.2.9

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...05:3iurkl.2.10

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...05:3iurkl.2.11
The GNOME project also capitalises the whole word as it stands for 'GNU Network Object Modelling Environment' which is different to what Groupon is doing.
WallToWallMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 09:14 AM   #10
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1350 View Post
Doubt it as its a different use. Although they could argue it is a desktop-like device.

----------

Anyways - I can't see these doing that well once you get over the looks of it. yuck.

I think Square has a much cleaner POS setup. Although they need to do better in terms of transaction fees. Their two models right now are just too high. Granted, for a person who does less than $1000 a month in transactions, I think the 2.75% is fine as Square needs to maintain some profit for very-low volume users. But for those doing a lot, they really need to be more in line with other merchants.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 11:33 AM   #11
afinelion
macrumors newbie

Just a Square copycat with Groupon added in. I really wish companies would detect when they have a complementary product and just either merge or come up with a unique idea instead of diluting the merchant payments/point of sale space.
afinelion is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion