Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 20, 2014, 04:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Verizon Debuts XLTE, Doubling Bandwidth for iPhone 5s, 5c

Verizon yesterday introduced its XLTE service, doubling the LTE bandwidth in some select markets to improve peak speeds on a range of devices, including the iPhone 5s, the iPhone 5c, the iPad Air, and the Retina iPad mini.

XLTE is the name given to Verizon's AWS spectrum, which the company initially purchased back in 2012. Akin to opening another lane on a congested freeway, XLTE will open up new bandwidth for those using an AWS-compatible device, which includes the iPhone 5s and the 5c, ultimately resulting in faster LTE speeds. XLTE simply refers to LTE on the AWS spectrum, with Verizon's described speed increases resulting from more available bandwidth.

While not directly beneficial to users of older iPhones, XLTE does have the potential to result in increased bandwidth on the standard 700MHz spectrum used by those devices, as newer devices will automatically take advantage of the AWS spectrum.
Quote:
XLTE delivers faster peak data speeds and a minimum of double the bandwidth to 4G LTE customers in high traffic areas in markets nationwide where AWS spectrum has been activated.

While XLTE network enhancements are invisible to the customer, the mobile experience is not. XLTE Ready devices automatically access both 700 MHz spectrum and the AWS spectrum in XLTE cities. Customers with 4G LTE devices operating solely on the 700 MHz spectrum in XLTE markets also benefit from the extra capacity created by XLTE Ready device traffic moving to the AWS spectrum.
XLTE is currently available in multiple cities across 44 different states, which can be found on Verizon's website [PDF]. According to Verizon's estimates, the newly available AWS spectrum will improve LTE speeds for approximately 35 percent of the active devices on its network.

It is important to note that XLTE is simply a marketing term for LTE on Verizon's AWS spectrum rather than a new wireless standard. It is similar to AT&T's move to call HSPA+ 4G back in 2012 in order to distinguish it from standard HSPA 3G speeds.

Verizon has also announced VoLTE -- or Voice over LTE -- which is set to roll out to its network later this year. VoLTE, much like AT&T's HD Voice, will improve voice quality by allowing users to make calls over LTE.

Article Link: Verizon Debuts XLTE, Doubling Bandwidth for iPhone 5s, 5c
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:01 PM   #2
arian19
macrumors 6502

AT&T is really getting left in the dust.
arian19 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:09 PM   #3
mac.cali
macrumors 6502a

Too bad in my area I don't have band 4.
mac.cali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Prof.
macrumors 601

I wonder if voice-over LTE will eat into your data?
Old May 20, 2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Codyak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by arian19 View Post
Not even close. In DC not too long ago with LTE I was able to get almost 45 down, on a friends 5S with Verizon he got about 10 down. This was right in front of the Verizon Center...

About 40 minutes west of DC I get faster HSPA+ than anyone I know's Verizon LTE. I had Verizon when they first debuted LTE and it is was lightning fast, as time when on however they seem to have not made any effort to upgrade their network. Hopefully this XLTE helps that.

Last edited by Codyak; May 20, 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Codyak is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:10 PM   #6
herocero
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm not an AT&T shill, but it is worth noting that this AWS spectrum sits in north of 1700MHz, 700MHz LTE is favored because of superior coverage and penetration. LTE on AWS will be boon for heavily congested areas, but mileage will vary depending on physical environments.
herocero is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:11 PM   #7
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a

This long article about bandwidth speed and not a single mention about the actual speed..
nikicampos is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:11 PM   #8
herocero
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
Not even close. In DC not too long ago with LTE I was able to get almost 45 down, on a friends 55 with Verizon he got about 10 down. This was right in front of the Verizon Center...
It's not called the Verizon Center because it's where they run a bunch of towers . . .
herocero is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hold on now. As a AT&T customer I must protest... wait, maybe not.... okay, you are right...

With Verizon get bandwidth and TMob getting pricing. AT&T is not showing any advantage right now. But give a week. The industry is getting exciting again as these companies are really duking it out. The only one that does not see to be scoring any points is Sprint.
Old May 20, 2014, 05:12 PM   #10
noodle654
macrumors 68010

Quote:
What? Not at all.
noodle654 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:13 PM   #11
einsteinbqat
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikicampos View Post
This long article about bandwidth speed and not a single mention about the actual speed..
I was going to write the same thing.
einsteinbqat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:15 PM   #12
Codyak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by herocero View Post
It's not called the Verizon Center because it's where they run a bunch of towers . . .
You can't honestly believe I thought that was the case. :roll eyes:

It was meant to be a joke, the same was mostly true outside the White House as well as the McPherson Metro station.

I should add, I have T-Mobile's $30 unlimited data now. (To ward of fanboy/comments, and who the hell would be an AT&T fanboy anyway?)
Codyak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:16 PM   #13
bushido
macrumors 603

i "love" how they handle LTE in Germany. the basic "LTE" isnt even LTE speed so you have 3 different speed options and you only get the real LTE speed with the most expensive plan
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:18 PM   #14
iMerik
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
Hold on now. As a AT&T customer I must protest... wait, maybe not.... okay, you are right...

With Verizon get bandwidth and TMob getting pricing. AT&T is not showing any advantage right now. But give a week. The industry is getting exciting again as these companies are really duking it out. The only one that does not see to be scoring any points is Sprint.
Except without T-Mobile in my area, my AT&T plan is cheaper than the Verizon equivalent and coverage and speeds seem just fine to me. I'm not in love with any carrier, but I thought I would defend AT&T a little. It shows an advantage to me for what I have available.
iMerik is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:19 PM   #15
MacLC
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post

Where I used to live Sprint nearly matched Verizon on speed and TMobile in price. Apparently Sprint lags in most other locations, but for my location it was the best option. AT&T, yeah, in the dust. If they buy DTV, don't expect them to be putting much more money to improving cell service, either.
MacLC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:20 PM   #16
Dookieman
macrumors regular

Will this apply to the original iPhone 5? Isn't the 5c just a repackaged 5?
Dookieman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:47 PM   #17
Applefan 2013
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookieman View Post
Will this apply to the original iPhone 5? Isn't the 5c just a repackaged 5?
No it will not.

Last edited by Applefan 2013; May 20, 2014 at 07:20 PM.
Applefan 2013 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:53 PM   #18
canyptian
macrumors newbie

76 Mbps Down, 25Mbps Up using 5s on Verizon

I did a quick check using speedtest and got those results.

Orange County, CA
canyptian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 05:53 PM   #19
HangmanSwingset
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefan 2013 View Post
The 5c is basically a repackaged 5 but it supports more wireless bands, so I don't think that it will.
It is, except for the cellular chip in it. It supports more LTE bands than the original 5.
Old May 20, 2014, 05:55 PM   #20
iJon
macrumors 604

Does anybody know is this will allow us IPhone users to talk and use internet at the same time?

It's really the only thing I miss from ATT.
iJon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 06:00 PM   #21
AstronomyiPhone
macrumors regular

That video was so dramatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verizon Voiceover Guy
Verizon has always set out to provide you with the most powerful and reliable network experience. And now the next advancement: introducing XLTE.
Wow. The music and everything. They even cap it off with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verizon Voiceover Guy
For best results, use Verizon.
Old May 20, 2014, 06:00 PM   #22
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefan 2013 View Post
The 5c is basically a repackaged 5 but it supports more wireless bands, so I don't think that it will.
So, then it really isn't just a repackaged iPhone 5 then, is it?
Old May 20, 2014, 06:01 PM   #23
bostonsox
macrumors member

Still 2 bars in NYC

I am in NYC (near West Village) and I still see only two bars
bostonsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 06:01 PM   #24
Technarchy
macrumors 601

CDMA? LOL

No thanks. I'll stay with AT&T.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 06:02 PM   #25
TrentS
macrumors 6502

Who Is "They"?

They will probably reach the point here soon where they arrive at the fastest network speeds possible, then discover that cellphone wave signals travel faster in water currents and ocean waves. Then they will have to revamp their entire network systems from ground zero.

TrentS is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion