Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
I just picked up a blue clamshell for $20. When I tried it out at the buyers it was finicky but turned on and worked just fine. Bring it home and I can't get it to power on. Battery is long dead but I have the correct power adapter from my other clamshell. No charging light comes on and it won't boot. I've tried pressing the reset, also the Pmu and still nothing. Am I now the proud owner of a cool paperweight?
ytydeqyz.jpg
usy6y9y5.jpg

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I just picked up a blue clamshell for $20. When I tried it out at the buyers it was finicky but turned on and worked just fine. Bring it home and I can't get it to power on. Battery is long dead but I have the correct power adapter from my other clamshell. No charging light comes on and it won't boot. I've tried pressing the reset, also the Pmu and still nothing. Am I now the proud owner of a cool paperweight?
ImageImage

Try removing the battery and holding the power button for 30 seconds with the battery removed. Also try a new PRAM Battery.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Nothing doing. I know the power adapter works as it boots my graphite ibook.

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
It's possible that the DC board is bad, either from a damaged connector or a faulty component. I had this with a Dual-USB iBook G3 a while back, just swapped it out with a new one and it was fine.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Mostly correct. The 12" Powerbook has a capacitor like the iBooks.

Learn something new everyday. I mainly only do repairs on Intel(l) Macs so that is where most of my experience comes from. Sorry for the confusion I may of caused to the viewers. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I would definitely try a new DC-in board. That has fixed several iBook G4s for me. Pull out the battery and plug it in, and hold down the power button, and if you can hear any noise, maybe a small buzzing, then it is the DC-in board.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Learn something new everyday. I mainly only do repairs on Intel(l) Macs so that is where most of my experience comes from. Sorry for the confusion I may of caused to the viewers. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Don't feel too bad. Many people on here miss that tidbit of information.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Nope no noise, I did notice last night where it plugs in got a bit warm.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Nope no noise, I did notice last night where it plugs in got a bit warm.

I would replace the DC-in board. Symptoms are: You hear it buzzing or a cap buzzing, it gets hot (I burned myself on a DC-in board on my first iBook once :D), If you twist around several times and it changes colors briefly, extremely hot adapter after a while, etc. Also, one easy way to check is digging into the iBook and checking the jack into which the DC-in board plugs in, and seeing if a multimeter detects voltage. If not, it is indeed your DC-in jack.
Picture demonstration:
test-incoming-voltage.jpg

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Unfortunately I don't think I have the skills to do this. Guess it'll have to be a conversation piece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.