Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baldanzi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I'm currently on assignment in Italy and I left my canon CDs back home in the states! I have a Powershot S50 that I broke over the summer...it finally got fixed and mailed to me here in Italy (thats why the CD is back home). In the mean time I am now a Mac user and to be honest who needs the canon software ;) ?? iPhoto and OS X do such a good job I never missed the software - until now.

I just got back from a weekend skiing where I used the panorama function a lot....but I do not have the stitch assist software on my powerbook - oops. I checked Canon's website - no luck. Are there any other options? Otherwise I'll do it manually in Photoshop.

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
IMHO you can't beat hugin!

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

If you search posts by my username you can find some of my panoramas in a thread about good shots with cheap cameras. that'll show you the results that hugin can acheive.

Truely some awesome open source software!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hugin is good but there is a learning curve

nihilisticmonk said:
IMHO you can't beat hugin!
!

I second the above. I've used Hugin under Linux. It gives you a lot of control over the process. But Hugin vs. "stitch" is like comparing iMove to FCP. For may users IMove is better.

The hard problems that any panorama stitching software has to solve are Lens distortion (pin cusion oe barrel) and changing exposures for each of the shots. Hugin gives you many more knobs to turn but is harder to setup and use but can do things like make Quickime VR

The Canon software is best if you just want to stich a couple easy shots together with minimal hassel

Baldanzi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Canon has their support software for download on their site. Having an a S30, I understand the ease of use of the Canon stitch software......

Ugh, I got canon to e-mail me back last night. They want $20 for Stitch assist....its not available on the website for download....and they will not send it to a non USA address. I checked out hugin last night - looks very very powerful. I really am interested in it. However it is total overkill for what I need right now. I will look into hugin for some of my Architecture related photography (it can simulate the effects of a persective correction lens - not that is cool! Those lenses are crazy expensive).

I just wanted to stitch together some mountain panoramas from my weekend skiing....stich assist would have been great for that.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Baldanzi said:
Ugh, I got canon to e-mail me back last night. They want $20 for Stitch assist....its not available on the website for download....and they will not send it to a non USA address.
I just wanted to stitch together some mountain panoramas from my weekend skiing....stich assist would have been great for that.

I have the same problem. I have a Canon G5 that came with a classic app for stitch assist and have since not only lost the disk, but accidently deleted most of my Classic apps (in an ill-advised attempt to free up some HD space). Now I've got nothing... I'll try photoshop, but on my 466Mhz machine it may take a while!
:eek:

Baldanzi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Raid said:
I have the same problem. I have a Canon G5 that came with a classic app for stitch assist and have since not only lost the disk, but accidently deleted most of my Classic apps (in an ill-advised attempt to free up some HD space). Now I've got nothing... I'll try photoshop, but on my 466Mhz machine it may take a while!
:eek:

Luck! I just found out my office bought an Ixus! I'm borrowing the CD tonight to install the OS X stitch assist and remote capture software. Now I do not have to try and have my neighbor dig through my desk in the USA and mail it to me here in Italy.....Cool! If it ends up working, I'll post here.

nwfrg

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
DoubleTake

There is good stitching software for the Mac.

It's called DoubleTake and it's not expensive and the quality is better than the Canon software that came with my camera.

DoubleTake from http://echoone.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.