Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I've done some searching on this matter and haven't been able to find a proper solution. I currently have a Desktop Mac set up with quite a large iPhoto library. I'm soon to be getting a rMBP and need a way to keep the iPhoto library in sync between the two, I basically want it to be one library accessible on both machines. I don't think this is possible in the way I want it, ideally if i edited or tagged photos on my macbook, those changes would appear on my desktop automatically. I was willing to compromise on this and use the home sharing feature to manually copy new/changed photos between the machines over the network, but I have only just found out that Apple have annoyingly removed this feature in iPhoto 9.5.
Everywhere i've searched seems to suggest photo stream as a solution but I just don't see this as a viable solution, its a great way to get photos easily onto both machines but it would mean organising them into albums, tagging faces etc manually on each machine which is frustrating to say the least.
Any suggestions or workaround would be great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.