Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I had never even heard of this whatsoever until a few days ago when I saw an old fellow college graduate posting pictures of himself on facebook and mentioning this product.

I will preface this by saying, that I have never - ever - EVER even thought of touching any kind of weight loss supplement. I'm a firm believer not that any and all of them are crap/useless/fluff - but rather that they are outright dangerous, that the long term effects aren't known, and that more than likely these weight loss supplements etc. (all natural! yeah my ass, lots of all natural things out there that aren't healthy) will actually cause you to drop dead of a stroke or heart attack some day. I refuse to touch any of these.

I'm a guy standing 5'5" and weighing 135 lbs. Used to weigh 162 lbs, but lost 30 pounds (was down just under 130 at one point) through diet and exercise. Current body fat percentage is still a depressing 18%. I've maintained this weight for about 4 years now, and am tired of it (glad I haven't gained back more than 5 pounds). My normal run is 7.5 miles, several times a week. My basal metabolic rate is only about 1550 calories from all the calculators out there. Needless to say, with such a sloth metabolism and being not THAT far from my ideal weight, it's pretty tough to go much/any below 130, even with my cardio routine.

So anyway, I saw pics of this college buddy on facebook, and I got intrigued about what the hell this Plexus crap is, because he lost a LOT of weight (he was pretty husky to begin with), and has gotten to the point where he has the "v" in his abs.

So why am I intrigued? Because this guy isn't an idiot - he's a chemical engineer with a background in chemistry, same as me. He's too "smart" for dietary supplements, and he's a pretty level headed, rational guy. Which is why I was extremely surprised to see him on this stuff.

So what's the deal with this stuff? Not saying I'm going to take it (highly doubt it because again, stroke, heart attack, who knows), but seeing someone like him take it has me curious what the deal is.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It’s also hard to correlate the use of a supplement to weight loss, unless he had some _extremely_ controlled, long term test scenario.

+Maybe+ when he started doing this Plexus product, he ALSO stepped up his workouts, started a better blend of weights, cardio, cross fit, possibly changed his diet, got a handle on bad carbs, worked on a proper intake of complex carbs, proteins, healthy fats.

My suggestion: avoid it.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Couldn't say on cardio or diet, but he explicitly mentioned in comments on the photo that he didn't lift a single weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.