Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2014
I purchased a new, sealed iPod Nano 5th Gen 8GB for $120 on eBay. Is this a fair price? I haven't received it yet but was wondering what to expect from the battery life since the iPod has presumably been sitting in the packaging for 4-5 years.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I dont think its worth it unless you are a collector.You can buy the newest 7g 16g refurbished ipod Nano from Apple for 99bucks.Excellent deal

MrMacUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2014
Yeah I considered the 7th Gen both new and refurb. But I'm not a fan of the touch screen on such a tiny device, especially when using it at the gym. I did some research and the 5th Gen looks like one of the best Nanos ever made: click wheel, camera, video/voice recording, radio, built-in speaker. I wanted to get a 16GB but the ones that were new, sealed with pics to prove it were north of $200 on eBay.

technano11

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Not to be cold blanket, but i'm afraid the battery in the iPod is dead/ bloated. If you open it up, and realized the screen has a "small patch", likely the battery is bloated and push the LCD towards the screen, hence causing the small patch.

MrMacUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2014
Not to be cold blanket, but i'm afraid the battery in the iPod is dead/ bloated. If you open it up, and realized the screen has a "small patch", likely the battery is bloated and push the LCD towards the screen, hence causing the small patch.

Thank you, I researched this further and it appears to be a common problem with old unused batteries. Apparently Apple doesn't replace iPod batteries, they just give you a refurb unit instead. If that's true the $99 refurb 7th Gen is a great deal.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Thank you, I researched this further and it appears to be a common problem with old unused batteries. Apparently Apple doesn't replace iPod batteries, they just give you a refurb unit instead. If that's true the $99 refurb 7th Gen is a great deal.

I totally agree and am thinking of buying another for more space.Wish the Nano had bigger storage.I fear the spinning hard drive based Classic because of reliability and hearing the sound of the mechanism working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.