Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 21, 2014, 03:46 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Safari 7.0.4 and 6.1.4 with Security Fixes

Apple today released Safari 7.0.4 for OS X Mavericks and Safari 6.1.4 for OS X Mountain Lion and Lion, addressing a significant memory corruption issue in the WebKit engine powering Apple's browser. It also addresses an issue with handling of unicode characters that could be exploited.
Quote:
The Safari 7.0.4 update is recommended for all OS X Mavericks users and contains improvements to security.

For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
The new update comes roughly six weeks after the release of Safari 7.0.3, which included a more substantial list of improvements. Safari 7.0.3 was later bundled into OS X 10.9.3, which was released last week.

Safari 7.0.4 and 6.1.4 are free downloads available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 7.0.4 and 6.1.4 with Security Fixes
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 03:55 PM   #2
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Seems to work. I'm typing this on 7.0.4 It was a ~60MB update on my iMac
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

...and no restart needed.
Old May 21, 2014, 03:57 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

I hadn't experienced any problems with it, but I updated anyway (not that wouldn't) in hopes of better performance and knowing that I shouldn't have any problems they've addressed.
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 04:12 PM   #5
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

For me Safari has been stable. I hardly noticed any difference with the last update and it has been completely transparent with this update. Clearly plugging holes, but zero impact to users is good. Now bring on 10.10 or whatever it will be called and let's get some snappy impacts going
Old May 21, 2014, 04:42 PM   #6
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a

http://www.news.com.au (and other Australian news corp sites) now works rather than loading partially and becoming unresponsive.

(I do realise that site is full of rubbish. Please don't judge me
ohbrilliance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 04:44 PM   #7
tywebb13
macrumors 6502a

Here they are if you don't want to install it via mac app store:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downl...4Mavericks.pkg (for mavericks)

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downl...untainLion.pkg (for mountain lion)

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downl...i6.1.4Lion.pkg (for lion)
tywebb13 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Kobayagi
macrumors 6502

With every update, I'm scared they'll mess up something different, like when Safari 7 came. Adblock on youtube didn't work for months, turned out it was Apple and not the adblock team and they had to wait for a few months for a new fix from Apple. Now, it's finally blocking ads again, but with every update, I fear they'll mess it up again. Ya, I hate ads that much
Old May 21, 2014, 06:42 PM   #9
advancewarsbest
macrumors member

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6254

Quote:
Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: Multiple memory corruption issues existed in WebKit. These issues were addressed through improved memory handling.
Quote:
Impact: A malicious site can send messages to a connected frame or window in a way that might circumvent the receiver's origin check

Description: An encoding issue existed in the handling of unicode characters in URLs. A maliciously crafted URL could have led to sending an incorrect postMessage origin. This issue was addressed through improved encoding/decoding.
I'm Excited for the improved memory handling
However they have yet to fix the history swipe back bug that occasionally causes it to get stuck :/
advancewarsbest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayagi View Post
With every update, I'm scared they'll mess up something different, like when Safari 7 came. Adblock on youtube didn't work for months, turned out it was Apple and not the adblock team and they had to wait for a few months for a new fix from Apple. Now, it's finally blocking ads again, but with every update, I fear they'll mess it up again. Ya, I hate ads that much
Oh excellent, now I can stop using Chrome Canary as my go-to por buying gifts browser. I hate when my bookmarks get all mixed up, ya know? Now I won't have all those popups showing up on...um...Amazon.
Old May 21, 2014, 07:21 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I was cleaning out my bookmarks bar and Reading List the other day and it was going crazy on 7.0.3. Will have to see if this new update helps any.
Old May 21, 2014, 07:38 PM   #12
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
Oh excellent, now I can stop using Chrome Canary as my go-to por buying gifts browser. I hate when my bookmarks get all mixed up, ya know? Now I won't have all those popups showing up on...um...Amazon.
In all seriousness though, it really is much easier to deal with sites like CNN when ads are properly blocked.

Another nice tool is Click2Flash, which makes all Flash load on demand, and force loads HTML5 on a lot of video sites, which in turn also blocks a ton of video ads.
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 07:43 PM   #13
-LikesMac-
macrumors 6502

<html>
<head>
A post on Macrumors
</head>
<body>
<p class = "question>
Is it snappier?
</p>
</body>
</html>

Seriously, though, I haven't seen the problem described in the post. That said, props to Apple for making a fix for whoever has the problem.

13'' MBP, 2.7GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD3000
-LikesMac- is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 07:43 PM   #14
rye9
macrumors 65816

How do I go back to 7.0.3?

Just installed 7.0.4 and now Safari is broken for me. If I try to swipe to go "back" it freezes on me, and I have to close the window (Command + W) and open a new one in order to resume browsing.

EDIT: Tried disabling and re-enabling the gesture in System Prefs. Didn't fix anything for me. This is really frustrating. Thanks, Apple =/

=
rye9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 07:47 PM   #15
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye9 View Post

Just installed 7.0.4 and now Safari is broken for me. If I try to swipe to go "back" it freezes on me, and I have to close the window (Command + W) and open a new one in order to resume browsing.

EDIT: Tried disabling and re-enabling the gesture in System Prefs. Didn't fix anything for me. This is really frustrating. Thanks, Apple =/
Have you tried restarting to see if it perhaps gets rid of some weird glitches?
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 07:53 PM   #16
rye9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Have you tried restarting to see if it perhaps gets rid of some weird glitches?
Safari? Yes.

My MBP? No.

I just rebooted yesterday and I'd rather not do so again so soon (I have an irrational fear of constant rebooting =/)... and frankly if the update requires a restart to fix it, I find that pretty disappointing.

=
rye9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 08:21 PM   #17
SVTmaniac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Safari? Yes.

My MBP? No.

I just rebooted yesterday and I'd rather not do so again so soon (I have an irrational fear of constant rebooting =/)... and frankly if the update requires a restart to fix it, I find that pretty disappointing.
Apple fans are some of the weirdest people on the planet. Seriously, a fear of restarting?
SVTmaniac is online now   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 08:38 PM   #18
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Safari? Yes.

My MBP? No.

Rebooting a computer is one of the most basic things. Nothing crazy or wrong about it.
C DM is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 08:43 PM   #19
rye9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Rebooting a computer is one of the most basic things. Nothing crazy or wrong about it.
I agree, but it shouldn't be required in this case on principle, in my opinion. I'll reboot it soon, then. But if that doesn't fix it then, well, I don't know.... haha

=
rye9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 08:58 PM   #20
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I agree, but it shouldn't be required in this case on principle, in my opinion. I'll reboot it soon, then. But if that doesn't fix it then, well, I don't know.... haha

"on principle"??

On behalf of the entire computer industry, I apologize profusely that our technology disappoints you.
Old May 21, 2014, 09:53 PM   #21
rye9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
"on principle"??

On behalf of the entire computer industry, I apologize profusely that our technology disappoints you.
Yes, I find it difficult to swallow that incremental updates that are meant to improve performance lead to malfunctioning software. It makes me question how the build passes QC tests. And I don't mean for Apple, I mean any company. A couple years ago Sony released an update to the PS3 firmware that bricked consoles, and I don't find it very excusable. I'm not asking for anything like a brand new computer, I'm just expressing a complaint. So no need for the sarcasm, really. I do think that companies should have a way for users to use whichever version of software they had that works though; if Apple allowed me to revert back to 7.0.3 I would have no qualms.
rye9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 09:56 PM   #22
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Yes, I find it difficult to swallow that incremental updates that are meant to improve performance lead to malfunctioning software. It makes me question how the build passes QC tests. And I don't mean for Apple, I mean any company. A couple years ago Sony released an update to the PS3 firmware that bricked consoles, and I don't find it very excusable. I'm not asking for anything like a brand new computer, I'm just expressing a complaint. So no need for the sarcasm, really. I do think that companies should have a way for users to use whichever version of software they had that works though; if Apple allowed me to revert back to 7.0.3 I would have no qualms.
Computers can just run into issues without even any updates. Just by using them and them running. Just their nature. It happens. Nothing too strange or new about it. Restarting is a fairly basic, straightforward, and simple troubleshooting step for a lot of electronic devices in general.
C DM is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 09:57 PM   #23
AstronomyiPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayagi View Post
You come to this site to read news for free and you don't even care enough to put up with ads that pay the bills of the people who write these stories?
Old May 22, 2014, 12:09 AM   #24
karstas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancewarsbest View Post
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6254

I'm Excited for the improved memory handling
However they have yet to fix the history swipe back bug that occasionally causes it to get stuck :/
This bug is killing me from Mountain Lion times and still they didn't fix it -.-'
Furthermore, restarting Safari doesn't help, only rebooting Mac...
karstas is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 01:43 AM   #25
Negaiido
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I have that bug in 7.0.3 as well so I doubt reverting would make any difference.
Negaiido is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion