Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 21, 2014, 06:06 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Recalled 'Nest Protect' Smoke Detectors Returning to Store Shelves Soon

The Nest Protect app-enabled smoke detector will be returning to store shelves soon, the company said today, after being pulled off the market and recalled because of a potential safety issue last month.

The company, which was acquired by Google earlier this year for $3.2 billion, stopped selling the Nest Protect last month after laboratory testing determined that the Nest Wave feature could potentially malfunction. The Nest Wave allows users to silence false alarms by wave at the detector rather than requiring them to manually press a button, which could be inconvenient for those with high ceilings.

The company has stated that there were no cases of smoke detectors turning off in customer homes, but that it wanted to be extremely cautious with such an important consumer device.

Nest and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission have issued a "recall" to ensure that all affected Protects receive a software update to disable the feature. Purchased devices do not need to be returned to Nest and will continue to function normally, albeit with the Wave feature disabled.

Nest told The Guardian that the Nest Protect will be going "back on the market in a few weeks."

Article Link: Recalled 'Nest Protect' Smoke Detectors Returning to Store Shelves Soon
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 06:19 PM   #2
John.B
macrumors 68040

With ads?
Old May 21, 2014, 06:31 PM   #3
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Ah, finally something reignite the flames of my serial arsonry kick!

Last edited by AngerDanger; May 21, 2014 at 06:44 PM.
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 06:47 PM   #4
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Fire! Visit tivo.com for great deals on roamio! Fire! Exit quickly!
dugbug is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 06:56 PM   #5
flatfoot99

I called tec support for an issue a couple weeks ago. Was told my issue was most likely due to using the more difficult system to program for, ios, and that everyone there uses android. I got a chuckle out of that one...
flatfoot99 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
With ads?
Update: A Google spokesman provided a statement regarding the SEC filing:
“We are in contact with the SEC to clarify the language in this 2013 filing, which does not reflect Google’s product roadmap. Nest, which we acquired after this filing was made, does not have an ads-based model and has never had any such plans.”

We can, of course, always assume they might change their minds later.
Old May 21, 2014, 07:39 PM   #7
Jared Strike
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot99 View Post
I called tec support for an issue a couple weeks ago. Was told my issue was most likely due to using the more difficult system to program for, ios, and that everyone there uses android. I got a chuckle out of that one...
And how soon I wonder will they discontinue support for iOS.
Jared Strike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 07:44 PM   #8
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Strike View Post
Probably never, we have google maps and pretty much every other google app.
goobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 08:13 PM   #9
flatfoot99

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Probably never, we have google maps and pretty much every other google app.
I hope so... I wish apple would of purchased Nest instead of Beats. It could of been their home automation "hobby".
flatfoot99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 08:23 PM   #10
iVoid
macrumors 65816

And now with all new "Advertising broadcasts". First, you listen to a 30 second audio commercial, then it'll tell you how you're going to die.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 09:57 PM   #11
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

It's best feature is permanently disabled?!
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 10:46 PM   #12
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
what happened to just normal smoke detectors with a 9-volt battery
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 10:51 PM   #13
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyForApple View Post
what happened to just normal smoke detectors with a 9-volt battery
Even those are being changed over to having sealed batteries that last for a decade.
C DM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 11:38 PM   #14
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
It's best feature is permanently disabled?!
Not permanently. They have a fix in the works.

Last edited by WildCowboy; May 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: grammar talk cleanup
jlgolson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 11:57 PM   #15
praetorian909
macrumors regular

Quote:
Seriously? Sounds like they must be getting paid to tell you that
praetorian909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 02:08 AM   #16
kuwxman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
lol, right. iOS is actually the easier OS to program for. That is one reason why iOS apps tend to be released by companies first versus their Android counterparts.

Also, the Google ad jokes you people think are funny got real old long, long ago.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Strike View Post
Why would they? Are you able to use Gmail on your iPhone? Google Maps? Google Drive? Waze? YouTube?
kuwxman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 04:14 AM   #17
Lennyvalentin
macrumors 6502

You had one job, Smoke Detector...!

The more you complicate a simple thing, the easier it is to screw it up.
Lennyvalentin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 04:29 AM   #18
londondude
macrumors regular

Feel I want a refund on the ones I have, could have just purchased a £15 one instead and done the same job.
londondude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 04:39 AM   #19
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I wonder what Tony thinks of that…..

I'm still surprised how Nest's acquisition by Google happened so quickly and unexpectedly. You'd think with home automation being such a promising new area for explosive future growth, that Apple might have been seriously interested.

Did Google outbid Apple, or could it have 'slipped under Apple's radar'? Both of these scenarios seem unlikely.

Last edited by macs4nw; May 22, 2014 at 04:48 AM.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 05:05 AM   #20
alexgowers
macrumors 6502a

I'm calling home automation a FAD! Building regs require smoke detectors are already built in so this and many other home automation products are redundant.

The problem is that anything automatic is usually not very helpful. Eg automatic car transmissions make driving less enjoyable but more convenient.

I fail to see anything not related to TV and media that should or could be automated or linked in that would be helpful to have.

Sure build in wifi to things as the tech gets cheaper, printers, weighing scales etc. but the whole idea of an automated home is a fad. Most people don't even have their radiators set right to give balanced heat around the home let alone allow it to be controlled by you coming home etc. most people will buy this stuff and never connect or use it anyway.
alexgowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 06:20 AM   #21
roadbloc
macrumors 604

The problem with overcomplicating stuff like smoke detectors with ******** like cloud features is that there are bound to be a few software bugs. And that could effect lives. So my smoke detectors remain to be the classic 'dumb' model, the one that simply beeps when smoke is detected.
Old May 22, 2014, 08:05 AM   #22
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgowers View Post
I'm calling home automation a FAD! Building regs require smoke detectors are already built in so this and many other home automation products are redundant.

The problem is that anything automatic is usually not very helpful. Eg automatic car transmissions make driving less enjoyable but more convenient.

I fail to see anything not related to TV and media that should or could be automated or linked in that would be helpful to have.

Sure build in wifi to things as the tech gets cheaper, printers, weighing scales etc. but the whole idea of an automated home is a fad. Most people don't even have their radiators set right to give balanced heat around the home let alone allow it to be controlled by you coming home etc. most people will buy this stuff and never connect or use it anyway.
Home automation is a nich market not a fad.
It has been around for a long time.
osofast240sx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 08:24 AM   #23
kuwxman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgowers View Post

The Nest isn't targeted towards those folks, the same way sporty cars aren't geared toward certain members of the car buying public.
kuwxman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 09:07 AM   #24
macduke
macrumors 68040

Their new slogan should be "It's like an Apple TV and Mac Mini had a baby on your ceiling."
macduke is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 09:20 AM   #25
LFMNX
macrumors regular

Just like the thermostat

Reminds me of them pushing fixes to my Nest thermostat and causing problems during the polar vortex. Many experienced the same challenge.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/06/nes...tery-problems/
LFMNX is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion