Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Category 5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Got a new Macbook Pro - top model. First got a refurb that had a weird sort of crack inside the screen. The surface was smooth and you couldn't feel it. it was like the crack was under the glass.

Then I returned that one and decided to get a new boxed one. Same model. I noticed when I close the screen the sides do not touch the bottom case. The left saide is worse than the right. I assumed the screen might be warped but looking along the edge reveals it is dead straight. It is actually the top case that is warped! It bows up in the middle. The left side is more warped than the right.

It's only noticeable when closing the lid or looking along the edge, but for over $3000 I am disappointed. Problem is I dread taking it back and going through all the crap again. Plus, I already installed a "Best skin ever" on BOTH of them, at $36 a pop.

Is it just my bad luck? Anyone else with a similar issue? Seems maybe when they were assembling it they pressed the components down too hard trying to set the glue and that warped the thin case. Either way the computer works fine and the screen is beautiful. I should try to ignore it and go on with my life because I can't help thinking some other damn defect will be waiting in the next one (or even the same defect).

What do you guys think?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Get a new one; don't bother with a repair.

Sorry about the skin, but there is really nothing you can do here.

I've gotten one where the screen didn't align and was fixed by adjusting the hinge. But the parts were straight.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
i just got a top of the line MBP refurb. no problems to speak of *knocks on wood* but I would say you definitely need to return yours and get a replacement. wouldn't give up on the apple refurbs though.. I would say -most- people's experience with the refurb process have been excellent.

(3 of the MacBooks that i've purchased were all refurbs and they have all been working great)

then again.. i almost always buy refurbs only.. both dell and apple refurbs have been fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.