Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clemsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Hi,

I recently bought a macbook air, received about 3 days ago. And I've noticed when I have the spot lights on, in the living room (which are brighter than the normal white bulb), and the screen is off, I can see some fine scratches on the screen.

These scratches don't affect the use of the screen, but they can be seen when it is off under certain lighting conditions. They don't exhibit the "rainbow" effect on the screen, which is good.

But seeing it is brand new, is it worth it to do something about those scratches, they are a few randomly placed.

Cheers

PS. I've also noticed that after taking my air out of a waterfield laptop case, there are marks left by the keyboard (which can be wiped away).

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Hi,

I recently bought a macbook air, received about 3 days ago. And I've noticed when I have the spot lights on, in the living room (which are brighter than the normal white bulb), and the screen is off, I can see some fine scratches on the screen.

These scratches don't affect the use of the screen, but they can be seen when it is off under certain lighting conditions. They don't exhibit the "rainbow" effect on the screen, which is good.

But seeing it is brand new, is it worth it to do something about those scratches, they are a few randomly placed.

Cheers

PS. I've also noticed that after taking my air out of a waterfield laptop case, there are marks left by the keyboard (which can be wiped away).

Hi Clemsy,

Are the scratches still there after it is cleaned? If they are, and you did not cause them, I would recommend going into an Apple retail store as soon as possible to replace it. The longer you wait, the less likely they will replace it. Even if it is your fault, they are sometimes very nice about it. My brother cracked his MBA screen with the end of the charger cable, and Apple replaced it for free within the 1-year warranty timeframe. Definitely go in and try to get it exchanged because that isn't normal. Just be nice and I'm sure you can get your issue fixed!

Best,
Matt

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Wiping the screen causes the tiny scratches. I've been very careful with my 2013 MBA and I have a fairly sizeable scratch on the screen that's only visible when the screen is off and in certain light.

They're unavoidable in my opinion.

I use a fine brush to remove the surface dust, then I use a microfibre cloth and a specific solution to clean the screen - it sill happens.

The MBA screen is just very soft / light.

clemsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Wiping the screen causes the tiny scratches. I've been very careful with my 2013 MBA and I have a fairly sizeable scratch on the screen that's only visible when the screen is off and in certain light.

They're unavoidable in my opinion.

I use a fine brush to remove the surface dust, then I use a microfibre cloth and a specific solution to clean the screen - it sill happens.

The MBA screen is just very soft / light.

I figured that is what the cause was, wiping the screen, but there are times when you need to clean the screen.

Could you explain more on the situation teffers? Like why is the screen so soft, especially when we need to clean (wipe) the screen?

Does it affect performance?

Cheers

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I figured that is what the cause was, wiping the screen, but there are times when you need to clean the screen.

Could you explain more on the situation teffers? Like why is the screen so soft, especially when we need to clean (wipe) the screen?

Does it affect performance?

Cheers

Not sure why it's so soft Clemsy, guess it might be related to keeping the weight down possibly.

As i mentioned I use a fine brush and micro-fibre cloth to clean mine now and it's reduced the incidence of the scatches. You just have to be very aware of easy it is to scratch. Make sure you use a good quality LCD specific cleaning solution too.

In actual laptop use I can't see them at all so I try not to worry too much ;-)

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
just wipe it down with a microfiber cloth and go to your local electronics store to find a monitor cleaning solution. That should take care of the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.