Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
This morning I get two emails from Apple, both saying, "You recently initiated a password reset for your Apple ID. To complete the process, click the link below"

But I did not initiate any password resets.

Should I be worried? I only reset my password recently. Should I reset it again?

If the origin of this is 100% due to Apple, then they have something wrong. If it's partially down to some hacker, then I don't see how they can gain anything, even if I do reset my password. So I don't understand this.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
it is probably a scam to get your password. If you clicked on the link it would likely take you to a page made to look like the AppleID password page and if you entered your password there the bad guys would have it.

Hover your mouse over the link in the mail and I suspect you will see the link it now to Apple.

Just delete the email and don't worry about it.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
No, the links are bona fide Apple links, one ("Reset [password] Now') is a verification to https://iforgot.apple.com, and another one ("My Apple ID") to https://appleid.apple.com.

I just wondered what brought me the emails in the first place.

It seems that a password reset has somehow been initiated for my account with Apple (Apple ID), and I can't think why.

Perhaps I'll try Apple's help system, such as it is.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
It could be nothing. Maybe someone has an iTunes log in close to yours and by accident they put in your email address by mistake and their password. So they were denied access and they clicked "forgot my password" or whatever that link is.

Or someone trying to hack into yours..

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Happens to me every so often. Someone gets their Apple ID wrong or something. It's no big deal - without that email they can't reset your account. You could change the password again, but since you received that email, it probably wouldn't matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.