Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With just eleven days to go until the expected public unveiling of iOS 8 at its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, Apple also appears to be working on an upcoming iOS 7.1.2 update, as has also been hinted at by recent statements from the company. Devices identifying themselves as running iOS 7.1.2 and coming from Apple's networks have been showing up in our web logs since last Friday.

Activity is still low, but that is typical for the early stages of update testing, particularly minor ones that may not require widespread internal or external testing. As a minor update, iOS 7.1.2 is likely to focus on bug fixes and other tweaks rather than major feature additions, and it likely will not even be put through a developer testing period before release.

ios_7_1_2_hits.jpg
Visits to MacRumors.com from devices running iOS 7.1.2
Details on changes included in the update are currently unknown, but there are two issues likely to be addressed. One is a fix for an email attachment encryption issue disclosed several weeks ago. At the time the issue gained widespread publicity, Apple issued a statement indicating it was aware of the issue and that a fix would be included in a "future software update."

The second is a long-standing iMessage issue that has recently gained new attention. The issue, which results in lost messages for those switching away from the iPhone to another device and not having their phone numbers disassociated from iMessage, has been worsened recently by server problems. Just today, Apple reported those server problems have been fixed and that it will be including "an additional bug fix in a future software update".

For both of these issues, iOS 7.1.2 would be the first iOS update since Apple's promise of fixes, so it's reasonable to assume those problems will be addressed in the forthcoming update.

While Apple is expected to preview iOS 8 at its June 2 keynote and begin making builds available to developers, a public release of iOS 8 is not expected until around the September timeframe, in line with the release of new iPhone hardware. Apple has on occasion continued to release updates to iOS after it has begun developer testing of the next major version, but these updates have historically been specialized ones targeting significant performance or security issues rather than broader sets of improvements.

Heading into WWDC, traffic from devices on Apple's network identifying themselves as running iOS 8 has been rising fairly steadily in recent months, while OS X 10.10 traffic has been fairly stable.

Article Link: Apple Preparing iOS 7.1.2 Update, Likely Addressing Email Encryption and iMessage Issues

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Nice to see the fixes, but I am way more excited to hear about iOS8 and OSX 10.10. Less than two weeks now. And then its on to Brazil for the World Cup. This summer is going to be exciting!

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Let's hope iOS 8 is a nice stable, well-tested OS with as few bugs as possible.

The Snow Leopard of iOS if you will :)

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
What I find interesting is that there have been iMessage issues for years and with the sudden spur of class action lawsuits, all of sudden it has been addressed?

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
What I find interesting is that there have been iMessage issues for years and with the sudden spur of class action lawsuits, all of sudden it has been addressed?

That means they may have started work on a fix (or multiple fixes) some time ago, likely right after iOS7 shipped since that's the new baseline for all iOS devices. These sort of problems need a long testing cycle to minimize regression.

Looking at their past security updates, they don't really entertain quick fixes. They always batch and test.

So this 7.1.2 was probably already prioritized and planned weeks if not months ago.

Last edited:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
This is good, but so excited to see iOS8. Hope it brings the features that and little tweaks that those in the jailbreak community have been able to provide, some of the tweaks I have running on my phone I don't think I can do without now!

Auxo 2
Bigify
Biolockdown
Bloard
CCControls
f.lux
JellyLock7
folder customizer
slide2kill7
typestatus
BiteSMS

Love them.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This is good, but so excited to see iOS8. Hope it brings the features that and little tweaks that those in the jailbreak community have been able to provide, some of the tweaks I have running on my phone I don't think I can do without now!

Auxo 2
Bigify
Biolockdown
Bloard
CCControls
f.lux
JellyLock7
folder customizer
slide2kill7
typestatus
BiteSMS

Love them.

If I was going to bet, I'd say only biteSMS has a chance of showing up in iOS 8. Maybe customisable toggles if Apple thinks we can handle something that complex.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Let's hope iOS 8 is a nice stable, well-tested OS with as few bugs as possible.

The Snow Leopard of iOS if you will :)

**** snow leopard, it's an archaic useless OS based on the 10.0 and XP paradigm. Lion tried to do too much, but Mavericks is rock solid on my machine.

I might even wait a lot before trying 10.10... Or maybe download it first then anybody else. Decisions...

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Means limited testing, means chance of exposing new issues, means use customer as alpha tester...

1000000 testers vs apples team.

I do think you're slightly exhagurating things there. Not sure if you're trollin or not.

Welcome to the future.

michaywood

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Another big issue is an iOS bug with 3rd party devices where the iDevice randomly stops recognizing the 3rd party device. Even heard a story of a guy with a prosthetic leg controlled by his iPhone that quit working after the iOS7.1 update! yikes!

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Means limited testing, means chance of exposing new issues, means use customer as alpha tester...

Moving fast doesn't mean limited testing.

You can plan ahead. According to the press, the iMessage issues have been around for some time. And they have already fixed a server side issue. It is natural to identify and patch the client in an iOS7 patch, and push features to iOS8.

----------

Another big issue is an iOS bug with 3rd party devices where the iDevice randomly stops recognizing the 3rd party device. Even heard a story of a guy with a prosthetic leg controlled by his iPhone that quit working after the iOS7.1 update! yikes!

Then it is not random.

There is probably some mismatch between the prosthetic leg and the updated OS. Or the prosthetic leg may just have issues of its own (wear and tear ?). iOS is connected to a lot of devices. E.g., Point of Sales, musical instruments, camera accessories, headphones, and other Made for iPhone devices everyday.

This is computer science and software engineering, not astrology and fortune telling.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
That means they may have started work on a fix (or multiple fixes) some time ago, likely right after iOS7 shipped since that's the new baseline for all iOS devices. These sort of problems need a long testing cycle to minimize regression.

Looking at their past security updates, they don't really entertain quick fixes. They always batch and test.

So this 7.1.2 was probably already prioritized and planned weeks if not months ago.

I'm sure Apple has known about these upcoming lawsuits for months as well. Perhaps it is just lucky timing, but I am a bit skeptical. This issue has been around since iOS 5. I think Apple just didn't prioritize it because it discouraged people from leaving the iOS ecosystem. But the problem is that it was hurting current iOS users trying to message non-iOS users. It should of been addressed long before now honestly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.