Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSaxon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi,

I have a phone running 7.0.4 and I want to reset my phone like new, but I don't want to upgrade to the newest OS. Can I restore my phone using the 7.0.4 IPSW in iTunes? If not is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Hi,

I have a phone running 7.0.4 and I want to reset my phone like new, but I don't want to upgrade to the newest OS. Can I restore my phone using the 7.0.4 IPSW in iTunes? If not is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

if you go to settings -> general -> reset -> erase all content and settings... make sure you have an iCloud backup or backup via iTunes before you erase your content.

are you jailbroken? if so, then don't do what I mentioned above. You have to use iLEX RAT to "restore" IF you are jailbroken.

Last edited:

iSaxon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
if you go to settings -> general -> reset -> erase all content and settings... make sure you have an iCloud backup or backup via iTunes before you erase your content.

are you jailbroken? if so, then don't do what I mentioned above. You have to use iLEX RAT to "restore" IF you are jailbroken.

Yeah I am jailbroken.. My phones just running really hot at times and I wanted to restore to fix it but still be able to jailbreak again

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
you cannot "restore" to an old ios, it has to be current and signed by apple. Although unless there's a jailbroken way of doing unsigned ipsw

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah I am jailbroken.. My phones just running really hot at times and I wanted to restore to fix it but still be able to jailbreak again

ok, then don't erase all contents and settings, that will put your phone in a boot loop

add this repo to cydia:
http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/

install iLEX RAT (the iOS 7 version). launch the app and choose the restore to new option. This will remove all your tweaks, content, apps, etc from your phone but leave you jailbroken and with Cydia installed. Then you can go about installing your cydia tweaks if you want. (Again, make sure to have a backup but i'd caution against restoring that backup when it gets restored because you can restore some leftover bits that could have been causing issues... but it's your call on this whether or not to restore your iCloud backup)

NOTE: there's no way for you to go back to an unjailbroken 7.0.4, since Apple is no longer signing that firmware.

NOTE 2: there is a chance that things could not get back to normal after using iLEX RAT and you would have to restore to 7.1.1 to resolve issues. This is unlikely but still possible. I have used iLEX RAT several times on iOS 7 without issue.

iSaxon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
ok, then don't erase all contents and settings, that will put your phone in a boot loop

add this repo to cydia:
http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/

install iLEX RAT (the iOS 7 version). launch the app and choose the restore to new option. This will remove all your tweaks, content, apps, etc from your phone but leave you jailbroken and with Cydia installed. Then you can go about installing your cydia tweaks if you want. (Again, make sure to have a backup but i'd caution against restoring that backup when it gets restored because you can restore some leftover bits that could have been causing issues... but it's your call on this whether or not to restore your iCloud backup)

NOTE: there's no way for you to go back to an unjailbroken 7.0.4, since Apple is no longer signing that firmware.

Thanks, iLex is running on my phone now. Appreciate all the help! :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

If one does the Erase All Content and Settings on a jailbroken iOS device that is running iOS 5 or higher, nothing happens. The device will restart and stay at the Apple logo. But if it is reset via holding both buttons, it restarts like nothing happened. This is because the jailbreak breaks the obliterate function. It also breaks Find My iPhone's wipe device feature in the same way. Basically, there's nothing wrong or bad about using either feature on a jailbroken device. It'll start right back up normally when hardware reset.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
If one does the Erase All Content and Settings on a jailbroken iOS device that is running iOS 5 or higher, nothing happens. The device will restart and stay at the Apple logo. But if it is reset via holding both buttons, it restarts like nothing happened. This is because the jailbreak breaks the obliterate function. It also breaks Find My iPhone's wipe device feature in the same way. Basically, there's nothing wrong or bad about using either feature on a jailbroken device. It'll start right back up normally when hardware reset.

ok, good to know. I thought with the evasi0n jailbreaks, erase all content and settings caused the boot loop (soft brick?). At least that's what I've always read here on MacRumors, Reddit, etc. But I guess a boot loop is interpreted and the user doesn't know to boot up with both buttons held. Thanks.

rstar1996

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
ios 8.0.2 stuck on apple logo

hey..my iphone 5 was showing 3g but was not working internet..so i tried some different apn.but while i saving the apn,the phone went turn off.and when i tried starting it,its stuck on apple logo since last 24 hours...
please help me
i dont want to upgrade my phone to the latest ios cz i do not want to lose jailbreak :( :(:apple:

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Hi,

Thanks

I don't know, but I dig your Deadmau5 avatar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.