Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Picked up a set of HYNIX 16GB DDR2 FB DIMMs from eBay. The seller claims in the title "FOR MAC PRO" and even in the description states that it is Server Memory but also works with Mac Pro.

Model # HYMP525FT72CP4N3-Y5 AC-C

[Problem]
-> The computer makes an audible "CLICKING" sound on Reboot
-> System has hung, there is no display.
-> Almost like power is cut off … power back on to the CD Drive and similarly, the Hard Drives
-> Reboot problem with this memory when Saving State.
-> System has to be powered off by Pressing Power Button and forcing it OFF.

[Attempts to Resolve]
-> Memtest x86… OK
-> Windows Memory Test via Ultimate Boot CD… Quick Test OK
-> Memtest port for OS X… OK
-> Tried RAM in almost all possible combinations one can think of! Pairs of 2, matching pairs, different pairs, pairs of 4, Riser Card A only, Riser B only, both Risers, almost everything!
-> Faster fan speeds to avoid overheating, replace CMOS battery and all sorts of stuff from the inter webs.
-> Even did a clean install of the OS on a new drive.

[Problem with RAM]
-> HYNIX RAM Set is Not Working, it is causing the system to freeze on restarts.
-> Apple RAM that came with this computer WORKS 100% FINE…

[SOURCES]
1) This person also has HYNIX BRAND RAM that does NOT work in the Mac Pro (see last post)
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4270757

2) Restart problems with 3rd Party Ram
https://discussions.apple.com/message/3040563?messageID=3040563#3040563?messageID=3040563

3) LOTS OF MORE PEOPLE WITH ISSUES
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/553134/

Any suggestions on making this set of RAM work?

-----
16GB (8x 2GB) PC2-5300F DDR2 667MHz FB DIMM Apple Mac Pro Quad Core Memory eBay

Last edited:

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Have you tried pressing the CUDA reset button on the logic board? Other than that and zapping PRAM thats all I can think of.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Have you tried pressing the CUDA reset button on the logic board? Other than that and zapping PRAM thats all I can think of.

I don't think the MP has a CUDA button. Though I did press "RST RST" and "SMC RST" buttons near the Diag LEDs.

Working Temporarily: (14gb Total)
-> Any 6 of 8 HYNIX DIMMs installed in Pairs
+ Original Kingston 1GB Apple style DIMMs.

Does not work (16gb total)
+ AVANT 2GB DDR2 800MHz Apple Style DIMMs.

Definitely does not work (16gb total)
-> All 8/8 HYNIX DIMMs.

Figure it has something to do with the temperature sensors. Without the original Apple style DIMMs, there are no temps reported. With them, it works.

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
It shouldn't be the temp sensors. Many of us have used ram without the "apple" heatsinks.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
It shouldn't be the temp sensors. Many of us have used ram without the "apple" heatsinks.

I can't figure out an explanation. Still waiting on Netkas to approve forum account request so I can download & flash 2,1 onto the 1,1 and see if that makes a difference.

[RISER A]
?*C - HYNIX 2GB
?*C - HYNIX 2GB
?*C - HYNIX 2GB
?*C - HYNIX 2GB

[RISER B]
57*C - APPLE 1GB
80*C - APPLE 1GB
?*C - HYNIX 2GB
?*C - HYNIX 2GB

Apparently, the DIMM next to the HYNIX modules is smoking hot. Wonder how hot the HYNIX modules are… Does not seem that the fans are kicking in despite the temperatures.

Only when I have 6 HYNIX + 2 APPLE 1GB [Total 14GB] it works.

Does not work with:
- All 8/8 HYNIX [ ????????? no temp sensors at all ]
- 6 HYNIX + 2 X Apple 512MB [incompatible config I think]
- 6 HYNIX + 2 X APPLE 2GB [incompatible config, 800mhz, diff timings etc. mem]

From the sources in the main thread, others are having this issue "reboot and you hear clicking sound from CD drive and Hard Drive… does that forever until you manually shut down and turn it back on"… Attributable to 3rd party memory.

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
From the sources in the main thread, others are having this issue "reboot and you hear clicking sound from CD drive and Hard Drive… does that forever until you manually shut down and turn it back on"… Attributable to 3rd party memory.

I thought your ram didn't work at all? Is it recognized in system profiler? My non apple dimms did run warmer, but they ran.

Your clicking issue is also similar to an issue I observed. I always attributed that to something to do with my windows partition since it only happened occasionally when booting into the windows side of things.

If I was you, I'd just eat the cost of shipping and get your money back. It sounds like you're down a deep rabbit hole here since there is no easy explanation as to why your ram is not working. Better to get some money back then to have no money back and a bunch of useless ram around.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
I thought your ram didn't work at all? Is it recognized in system profiler? My non apple dimms did run warmer, but they ran.

Your clicking issue is also similar to an issue I observed. I always attributed that to something to do with my windows partition since it only happened occasionally when booting into the windows side of things.

If I was you, I'd just eat the cost of shipping and get your money back. It sounds like you're down a deep rabbit hole here since there is no easy explanation as to why your ram is not working. Better to get some money back then to have no money back and a bunch of useless ram around.

The RAM is working temporarily. Have 14GB's recognized (12GB HYNIX and 2GB Apple).

With all 8/8 HYNIX DIMMs, the system won't reboot and makes clicking sounds but other than that it powers on/runs apps/shuts down just fine.

It's only the rebooting issue with all 8 DIMMs. The RAM itself passes Memtests so I don't think it's defective rather, incompatible.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Update:
-> Flashed FW to 2,1

FAIL
-> With all 8/8 HYNIX Sticks, the problem still exists regardless of reset switches on Logic Board or PRAM Reset.
-> APPLE 2GB + APPLE 2GB + 6 X HYNIX 2GB

Working: APPLE (kingston) 1GB + APPLE (kingston) 1GB + 6 X HYNIX 2GB -- 14GB TOTAL

Thus, firmware 2,1 does NOT contain any bug fixes or microcode that aids with RAM reboot problem.

Last edited:

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
So did hitting those reset buttons help if even a little?

I thought it was pretty well established that the 2,1 firmware is only for supporting the different CPUs offered for the 2,1 model, not anything else.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
So did hitting those reset buttons help if even a little?

I thought it was pretty well established that the 2,1 firmware is only for supporting the different CPUs offered for the 2,1 model, not anything else.

Unfortunately the Reset buttons on the Logic Board don't help.

Everything is so interconnected that the so called "bug fixes" and "microcode updates" could fix more than the CPU labels in About This Mac. Guess not.

Update: Only 14GB Working.

Last edited:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I don't think the MP has a CUDA button. Though I did press "RST RST" and "SMC RST" buttons near the Diag LEDs.

Working Temporarily: (14gb Total)
+ Original Kingston 1GB Apple style DIMMs.

Does not work (16gb total)
+ AVANT 2GB DDR2 800MHz Apple Style DIMMs.

Definitely does not work (16gb total)
-> All 8/8 HYNIX DIMMs.

Figure it has something to do with the temperature sensors. Without the original Apple style DIMMs, there are no temps reported. With them, it works.

OK your first problem is that the Avant RAM is the wrong speed for the MacPro1,1 machine, which accounts for why the Hynix RAM works with the Kingston and not with the Avant

I suspect that the Hynix RAM is functional RAM but does not have the correct SPD values, so it needs a "good" 667 MHz pair to identify the correct SPD for the Mac. In the absence of the Kingston or the Avant, the Mac does not get the message that the RAM meets the specifications. I'm not sure about the Hynix not having a temperature sensor but perhaps they are not reporting temps to the Mac.

Bottom line, you will not be able to fix this. Get your money back and buy from a reputable seller. If you can't, then run the 14 GB configuration and get SMCFanControl or similar software to ramp up the fans so you don't cook the machine since it doesn't know what the temps are on the Hynix modules.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
OK your first problem is that the Avant RAM is the wrong speed for the MacPro1,1 machine, which accounts for why the Hynix RAM works with the Kingston and not with the Avant

I suspect that the Hynix RAM is functional RAM but does not have the correct SPD values, so it needs a "good" 667 MHz pair to identify the correct SPD for the Mac. In the absence of the Kingston or the Avant, the Mac does not get the message that the RAM meets the specifications. I'm not sure about the Hynix not having a temperature sensor but perhaps they are not reporting temps to the Mac.

Bottom line, you will not be able to fix this. Get your money back and buy from a reputable seller. If you can't, then run the 14 GB configuration and get SMCFanControl or similar software to ramp up the fans so you don't cook the machine since it doesn't know what the temps are on the Hynix modules.

Thanks for the help. I did get most of my money back and still have the RAM (too costly to ship back to the US). I don't presume you sell RAM as your name implies?

What could go wrong if I am running the fan at low speeds with this RAM? As "cook the machine" seems a bit scary. I'm going to load up Ubuntu live USB and see what the temps are (assuming they are reported in Windows and Linux but not OS X).

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
What could go wrong if I am running the fan at low speeds with this RAM? As "cook the machine" seems a bit scary. I'm going to load up Ubuntu live USB and see what the temps are (assuming they are reported in Windows and Linux but not OS X).

You'd shorten the life of the RAM.

Also, you can get all the temps you want from a free program, Macs Fan Control. No need to boot into another, non-native OS.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
You'd shorten the life of the RAM.

Also, you can get all the temps you want from a free program, Macs Fan Control. No need to boot into another, non-native OS.

Tried MacsFanControl, SMCFanControl, iStatMenus and Temperature Monitor.
None seem to report the temperature of the HYNIX RAM.

Are those "SAFE" temps for use or shall I revert back to Apple certified 8GB set?

Booted into Ubuntu 11.04 (32-Bit) and it read out the following temps while stress testing:
BkP7nIv.png

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Update: Removed the HYNIX RAM.. It seems that 80*C on idle (and in a 32-Bit Ubuntu OS) is quite high.

Whereas, Apple certified memory is running anywhere from 60-65*C in OS X with multiple applications running.

Also, the following config seems to work (though, not much difference as it's still 14GB total)
- 4 X HYNIX 2GB in RISER A
- 2 X Kingston 1GB + 2 X AVANT 2GB in RISER B

Update 2: Possibly the most rudest seller on eBay, PayPal credited shipping back only. Will just end up reselling the HYNIX RAM as "For Servers, not suitable for Mac Pro".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.