Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
It has been probably 8 years since I have had a desktop computer. Once I got into college I used a 15" mbp and towards the end of college I purchased a 13" mba. I absolutely love my portability of my macbook air. I can take it anywhere pretty easily. However recently I have started doing some work where the screen size seems to hinder my productivity quite a bit. Now I am to the point where I am considering getting an iMac to help out.

Would you guys ever consider buying a used one off ebay or craigslist or stick to new or refurbished through apple?

Thanks for any advice

Saint.Icon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2014
I've sold through Craigslist, so I think that's a good option for a deal. Just make sure you take a look at it in person and don't buy sight unseen.

With the last iMac I sold, the buyer had a contract they had me sign stating it was the model I specified and in working order, and if it wasn't, they could return it to me for their cash within 24hrs. That wasn't really a big deal, just be sure to read any contract carefully.

Refurbs make for good deals as well, and will definitely save you a bit. I've bought most of my macs as refurbs, and I've been entirely happy with them.

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I definitely could go for a refurb and possibly and older model. I'm not doing any heavy video or photo editing so I don't NEED the latest and greatest even though it would be nice to have.

Saint.Icon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I definitely could go for a refurb and possibly and older model. I'm not doing any heavy video or photo editing so I don't NEED the latest and greatest even though it would be nice to have.

I got a 2011 27" model the other day for $1100, so if you're willing to go a little older, you'll save a ton.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I bought a refurb iMac in summer 2008. No complaints. If you decide to go that route, keep the refurb section of the Apple Store in a tab at all times because the best deals often go quick.

Saint.Icon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2014
I bought a refurb iMac in summer 2008. No complaints. If you decide to go that route, keep the refurb section of the Apple Store in a tab at all times because the best deals often go quick.

I can definitely confirm this. Refurb.me is a good resource as well!

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. I've always been a little concerned going with a refurb even though that concern is unwarranted. Glad to hear you guys haven't had a problem with yours.

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. I've always been a little concerned going with a refurb even though that concern is unwarranted. Glad to hear you guys haven't had a problem with yours.

In most cases when you hear the word "refurbished" I know what you mean you get certain thoughts in your mind. In the case of Apple products it is well known that they go through a very thorough refurbished process. Plus you get the one year Apple warranty and the option to purchase Applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.