Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i need to play with it more, I've only spent 5-10 minutes so far, but you can see some if you go here: http://gsr.kwajo.com and click on the fourth link down, marked "Writing"

oh yeah, I should add that this is published on a non-dot mac server, so you lose out on the very cool slideshow features, but at least it proves that you can publish to another hosting source and the RSS feeds still work fine. it's hosted on my powermac G4 BTW

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
iWeb Webpage

Alright well my page is finally starting to look halfway decent.

iWeb really is a terrific program; it's not complex at all but my webpage looks better than, say, something on MySpace.

here's a link:
http://web.mac.com/c.peters06/iWeb/Chris/Home.html

it's definately looking better - I have a cool photo section that I hope you all check out!

Chris

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
kwajo.com said:
oh yeah, I should add that this is published on a non-dot mac server, so you lose out on the very cool slideshow features

Hmm, so the slideshows use some server-side code? Does anyone know what needs to be installed on the server in order to make them work? Is that what Ajax is?

Edit: I've just done a View Source on Chris' site, and it seems to just be CSS and JavaScript. It should be possible to have the same slideshow effect on any old server :)

Edit 2: Yeah, it works.

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2004
kwajo.com said:
oh yeah, I should add that this is published on a non-dot mac server, so you lose out on the very cool slideshow features, but at least it proves that you can publish to another hosting source and the RSS feeds still work fine. it's hosted on my powermac G4 BTW

So you don't have to publish to .mac? that's nice to know. it makes iWeb more appealing now. :)

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Nermal said:
Hmm, so the slideshows use some server-side code? Does anyone know what needs to be installed on the server in order to make them work? Is that what Ajax is?

Edit: I've just done a View Source on Chris' site, and it seems to just be CSS and JavaScript. It should be possible to have the same slideshow effect on any old server :)

Edit 2: Yeah, it works.

it works?! how did you manage this?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just proclaimed that it works without testing it properly. It half-works - you can see the photos and cycle through them, and the "bar" up the top works properly, but you can't see the captions that you assign to the photos, and the shadows/reflections aren't working properly. I'll need to fiddle around a bit more :)

Edit: OK, there is something going on server-side. It's trying to link into "myphoto.jpg?transform=reflect" - some sort of server-side image processing.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
yeah i've been suspecting that there is some image processing going on, hence why they can't offer the slideshow interface on just any web host

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
They could if they wanted to. The image processing could be done in iWeb, and the processed image could be uploaded as a separate file.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
you're right, but I think one of the parts of the slideshow script that is most important is the fact that it allows the image to remain untouched (for downloading) and keeps the file sizes smaller since they don't have to upload the image file for the reflection as well.
that being said I want to get the slideshows to work off my server, no way am I paying for dot mac again

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I might mess around with the scripts a little later on, and see whether I can get the reflections to link into a separate file. You will of course need to manually make reflected versions of all the photos :(

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
iWeb is really PNG happy. I feel sorry for modem users. This is my biggest gripe with iWeb.
Here's to the Crazy Ones

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:

iWeb really is a terrific program; it's not complex at all but my webpage looks better than, say, something on MySpace.
here's a link:
http://web.mac.com/c.peters06/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

it's definately looking better - I have a cool photo section that I hope you all check out!

Chris

did you happen to Listen to the macworld TWiT. They had a nice long discussion about that very thing. It was pretty funny actually.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Just got my copy of iLife 06 and will get to creating a web page as I get around to buying an imac subscription. Just curious, does iweb have a preview option where I can sample what my sight will look like before uploading it? It would be great if I could start putting it together now and upload it when im ready.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:

here's a link:
http://web.mac.com/c.peters06/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

Chris
Its funny that your nickname is "Crispy". I had a friend in college with the same nickname. It was quite fitting seeing as she put down about $100 of weed a week.;)

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
freeny said:
Just got my copy of iLife 06 and will get to creating a web page as I get around to buying an imac subscription. Just curious, does iweb have a preview option where I can sample what my sight will look like before uploading it? It would be great if I could start putting it together now and upload it when im ready.

if you use safari or firefox they'll look almost exactly as they appear in iWeb. internet explorer for the most part too

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Completely Renovated iWeb Page!

Hey everyone!

I completely renovated my iWeb page - half of it I did so that you all could see another theme in action, and half of it I did cuz I simply thought the old black background, white text was kinda boring.

I'm a teenager - it should be interesting!

Anyway, here's the link:

Please email me (using the email me icon on the home page) or post in this forum any recommendations. Thanks!

whw5

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
Atlanta
Does anyone know if its possible to take a webpage mad from iweb and post it to myspace? That would be amazing if its possible.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
http://web.mac.com/jonshipman/

I'm still under the 50MB trial limit and my full sub is still en route from amazon so I don't have a photospage yet. I might just make homepage.mac.com photo pages since you use jpgs on that. I may go iWeb though, it does look pretty.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:

here's a link:

Chris

Hey I saw you are starting at Mines next year, and just wanted to say hi. I'm an alum '99 and had a great time. I hope you have fun there, Golden is a nice place. Enjoy Coors Lab!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.