Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
It's an interesting idea to be able to use the watch independently without a paired device but I also read an article that the hype of smart watches are going to decline by 2016.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I like all the bumhurt they cause from people who are not even going to buy their products anyway, I like Samsung myself

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It's an interesting idea to be able to use the watch independently without a paired device but I also read an article that the hype of smart watches are going to decline by 2016.

I don't think that's true. I just don't think its been done correctly yet....

The smartwatch (as I envision it anyways - as a useful device for me) IS an accessory/paired with a smartphone. Not a standalone device.

No camera. No phone capabilities. Those things are redundant and unnecessary in a watch. I'm looking for a device that gives me gentle notifications, tracks various health metrics, ties in with my phone to give me a secure two-step verified payment method, etc. I want NFC in the iWatch - not the iPhone. I want to be able to swipe my wrist at a payment terminal and scan my fingerprint on my phone.

I think, so far, the smartwatches that have been released have missed the mark. I also think this story only leads credence to the idea that Samsung heard about Apple's mythical iWatch and are now trying to throw out any variation and version they think Apple might try in a desperate attempt to be "first".

Joke will be on them when Apple's iWatch is very different from what we all have seen so far and expect. I also think, until Apple releases their version, its unwise to doom smartwatches/wearables as a fad. Some said similar things about smartphones and tablets....

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I don't think that's true. I just don't think its been done correctly yet....

The smartwatch (as I envision it anyways - as a useful device for me) IS an accessory/paired with a smartphone. Not a standalone device.

No camera. No phone capabilities. Those things are redundant and unnecessary in a watch. I'm looking for a device that gives me gentle notifications, tracks various health metrics, ties in with my phone to give me a secure two-step verified payment method, etc. I want NFC in the iWatch - not the iPhone. I want to be able to swipe my wrist at a payment terminal and scan my fingerprint on my phone.

I think, so far, the smartwatches that have been released have missed the mark. I also think this story only leads credence to the idea that Samsung heard about Apple's mythical iWatch and are now trying to throw out any variation and version they think Apple might try in a desperate attempt to be "first".

Joke will be on them when Apple's iWatch is very different from what we all have seen so far and expect. I also think, until Apple releases their version, its unwise to doom smartwatches/wearables as a fad. Some said similar things about smartphones and tablets....

I don't know what invention any of these companies think they are going to create. The smartwatch is already been done, and works. My Pebble does everything I could ask for in a smartwatch. I honestly don't need or want anything else. The design is the only thing these companies need to work on.

I am sorry, but Apple can't recreate the wheel, and nothing they can do is going to be revolutionary. It is just going to have an Apple logo on it, and be call the next great thing.

Samsung seems to be trying everything in there power to give there smartwatch some kind of super power. Give it up. Make a really sexy smartwatch and call it a day. Also not allowing it to work on anything other than Samsung devices will never cut it. You have to open it up.

The design is the key here. Nothing new needs to be create. Make a beautiful design, and sit back and watch as people go crazy over it. It's very simple.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't know what invention any of these companies think they are going to create. The smartwatch is already been done, and works. My Pebble does everything I could ask for in a smartwatch. I honestly don't need or want anything else. The design is the only thing these companies need to work on.

I am sorry, but Apple can't recreate the wheel, and nothing they can do is going to be revolutionary. It is just going to have an Apple logo on it, and be call the next great thing.

Samsung seems to be trying everything in there power to give there smartwatch some kind of super power. Give it up. Make a really sexy smartwatch and call it a day. Also not allowing it to work on anything other than Samsung devices will never cut it. You have to open it up.

The design is the key here. Nothing new needs to be create. Make a beautiful design, and sit back and watch as people go crazy over it. It's very simple.

HAHA - do you not realize the irony in your post? Similar things were said of the smartphone and personal computer industries. iOS/Android have drastically changed them for the better.

Let's wait and see....

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
HAHA - do you not realize the irony in your post? Similar things were said of the smartphone and personal computer industries. iOS/Android have drastically changed them for the better.

Let's wait and see....

What you have failed to see is the smartwatch is much different than the smartphone. Not nearly as many people need or want a watch. A phone these days has almost become a need no longer a want. Watches will never become that.

Apple made the iPhone more simple, and easier to use for everyone. A smartwatch does not need that because for the most part this will only be for tech people like us. I don't see smartwatches becoming the next smartphone.

Apple and Samsung can try, but this market is something much different.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What you have failed to see is the smartwatch is much different than the smartphone. Not nearly as many people need or want a watch. A phone these days has almost become a need no longer a want. Watches will never become that.

Apple made the iPhone more simple, and easier to use for everyone. A smartwatch does not need that because for the most part this will only be for tech people like us. I don't see smartwatches becoming the next smartphone.

Apple and Samsung can try, but this market is something much different.

I think its hilarious you seem to know the future....

What were people saying back in the heyday of the Moto Razr and Blackberry Pearl?

"No one needs a computer in their hand! I have a laptop that does everything I need. My pearl is the perfect phone and does everything I need."

Moral: We have no idea what we want/need. That's what Steve Jobs predicated his entire life to. Give consumers products they didn't even know they wanted/needed.

I look forward to making you eat crow when the time comes ;):p

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In an increasingly health-conscious world, you don't think one day we'll all be constantly updated on our own vitals/health? You don't think one day, doctors could tap into all that data and tailor treatment plans accordingly?

Sure, its somewhat of a niche market now. But so was the tablet. So was the smartphone.

It won't follow the same path, because you're right - a smartwatch ISN'T a smartphone. But that doesn't mean there's NO way it can't become as ubiquitous as an iPad or Samsung Galaxy S5.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I think its hilarious you seem to know the future....

What were people saying back in the heyday of the Moto Razr and Blackberry Pearl?

"No one needs a computer in their hand! I have a laptop that does everything I need. My pearl is the perfect phone and does everything I need."

Moral: We have no idea what we want/need. That's what Steve Jobs predicated his entire life to. Give consumers products they didn't even know they wanted/needed.

I look forward to making you eat crow when the time comes ;):p

Alright good luck with that. When watches become a staple like mobile phones then come back. Watches have been around for a very long time, and have never been as popular as phones. How is this going to change because Apple makes a smartwatch? The mobile phone was almost a staple for everyone at the time the the iPhone was introduced. The iPhone just created a new want for people that already had a phone. Do you really believe Apple can make people don't use watches think they now need one? You have bit too much faith in Apple. I like my iPhone and all, but at some point It figured out Apple could only do so much.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
It's hilarious how anti-Samsung haters love to make a big deal about everything they do. Who cares if they come out with so many smart watches? If you're not buying one, it's not your problem.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Alright good luck with that. When watches become a staple like mobile phones then come back. Watches have been around for a very long time, and have never been as popular as phones. How is this going to change because Apple makes a smartwatch? The mobile phone was almost a staple for everyone at the time the the iPhone was introduced. The iPhone just created a new want for people that already had a phone. Do you really believe Apple can make people don't use watches think they now need one? You have bit too much faith in Apple. I like my iPhone and all, but at some point It figured out Apple could only do so much.

Watches have never been as popular as phones? Huh?

http://www.fhs.ch/statistics/watchmaking_2013.pdf

"In volume terms, China ranked in first position. In total, 634.4 million timepieces left the country in 2013."

How many millions of smartphones were produced in 2013?

You're right - watches have been around far longer than phones have....and I'm not saying they are the same industry. Just pointing out there is a market for the right company with the right product to grow. I think it is naive and premature to kill off the smartwatch industry before some of the biggest players even have a chance to play their hand.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I like all the bumhurt they cause from people who are not even going to buy their products anyway, I like Samsung myself
I like Samsung too....I think it is funny how every now and then one of the sheep starts a thread like this.....They want to troll...its just flame bait. After a while you get to know who they are and just ignore them.....

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It's hilarious how anti-Samsung haters love to make a big deal about everything they do. Who cares if they come out with so many smart watches? If you're not buying one, it's not your problem.

I thought it was interesting. Why do you have to jump to the "Samsung haters" line? Who cares if I hate Samsung? If I do, its my problem not yours.

----------

I like Samsung too....I think it is funny how every now and then one of the sheep starts a thread like this.....They want to troll...its just flame bait. After a while you get to know who they are and just ignore them.....

Haha - so posting an article about a yet-to-be released smartwatch is trolling? I simply state that I think its funny they've released 4 (this will be the 5th) different smartwatches in the span of a year. All with varying feature sets as if they're not sure which one will catch on.

If Apple was doing the same thing, I'd post the same response. But I know they won't. Not how they roll.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Watches have never been as popular as phones? Huh?

http://www.fhs.ch/statistics/watchmaking_2013.pdf

"In volume terms, China ranked in first position. In total, 634.4 million timepieces left the country in 2013."

How many millions of smartphones were produced in 2013?

You're right - watches have been around far longer than phones have....and I'm not saying they are the same industry. Just pointing out there is a market for the right company with the right product to grow. I think it is naive and premature to kill off the smartwatch industry before some of the biggest players even have a chance to play their hand.

I am not killing the smartwatch. I am just saying Apple and Samsung will not revolutionize the industry with a smartwatch.

Also I was not saying watches were not as popular as mobile phones. I am talking about just phones in general. Landlines, and everything combined. Watches are not that at all. They are not a means to communicate with others.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I am not killing the smartwatch. I am just saying Apple and Samsung will not revolutionize the industry with a smartwatch.

Also I was not saying watches were not as popular as mobile phones. I am talking about just phones in general. Landlines, and everything combined. Watches are not that at all. They are not a means to communicate with others.

Ok bud - between you definitively stating that two of the largest technology companies in the world are effectively throwing money at a lost cause and these jokers crying about trolling, I'm really disheartened by the lack of intelligent conversation.....

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Ok bud - between you definitively stating that two of the largest technology companies in the world are effectively throwing money at a lost cause and these jokers crying about trolling, I'm really disheartened by the lack of intelligent conversation.....

Alright whatever you say. Twist my words like normal, but whatever you need to do. I never said they were throwing money away. I said they were not going to revolutionize the industry. Yeah they could create a really great watch, and be popular. It just won't be Android and iOS of smartphones, or at least I don't see that happening. Watches seem way too different than smartphones.

Also talking about intelligent. What did you expect to get out of starting a thread in the Android section talking about Samsung making another bad decision? Did you think that was just going to go over smoothly? I believe you might have just wanted to start an argument. I am not defending either side, but I don't see the point in the thread other than to make people mad.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Alright whatever you say. Twist my words like normal, but whatever you need to do. I never said they were throwing money away. I said they were not going to revolutionize the industry. Yeah they could create a really great watch, and be popular. It just won't be Android and iOS of smartphones, or at least I don't see that happening. Watches seem way too different than smartphones.

You say they won't revolutionize the industry, meaning their watches won't be as popular as their smartphones/tablets are. They are pouring all kinds of money into R&D, production and marketing. How is that not "throwing money away" if, as you so definitively state, they won't get the desired result (a.k.a mass popularity and ubiquity).

Also talking about intelligent. What did you expect to get out of starting a thread in the Android section talking about Samsung making another bad decision? Did you think that was just going to go over smoothly? I believe you might have just wanted to start an argument. I am not defending either side, but I don't see the point in the thread other than to make people mad.

Talk about putting words in someone's mouth.....where did I say it was a "bad decision." I said I thought it was funny that they're going to release a 5th different smartwatch in less than a year. Does that imply bad?

It's also interesting - the idea of a smartwatch as its own standalone device with SIM card. How will it be sold? How will carriers work with it? What about the fact that Tizen will be the OS? That's interesting....

Yet none of that comes up. I get you telling me smartwatches are a fad and won't matter. And I get Curly and Moe over there whining about "Apple trolls" and "sheep".....

Oi!

----------

YES - first post, I'm sorry I missed it. It IS an interesting idea.....though I disagree with the article you are referring to. Link?

----------

Meh, I'll wait on the smart headband. It will be able to analyze your sweat and tell you how much your calorie intake for the day was. Maybe I need to go patent this before Samsung gets wind of it. :D

Heh....probably. At this rate, we'll be on the Gear 15 by Christmas.

"This one makes calls and takes pictures, but doesn't tell time...."

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
You say they won't revolutionize the industry, meaning their watches won't be as popular as their smartphones/tablets are. They are pouring all kinds of money into R&D, production and marketing. How is that not "throwing money away" if, as you so definitively state, they won't get the desired result (a.k.a mass popularity and ubiquity).

Talk about putting words in someone's mouth.....where did I say it was a "bad decision." I said I thought it was funny that they're going to release a 5th different smartwatch in less than a year. Does that imply bad?

It's also interesting - the idea of a smartwatch as its own standalone device with SIM card. How will it be sold? How will carriers work with it? What about the fact that Tizen will be the OS? That's interesting....

Yet none of that comes up. I get you telling me smartwatches are a fad and won't matter. And I get Curly and Moe over there whining about "Apple trolls" and "sheep".....

Oi!

----------

YES - first post, I'm sorry I missed it. It IS an interesting idea.....though I disagree with the article you are referring to. Link?

----------

Heh....probably. At this rate, we'll be on the Gear 15 by Christmas.

"This one makes calls and takes pictures, but doesn't tell time...."

Alright well this has been fun. I don't need another argument on this site. Go have fun with your new "just works" smartwatch when it comes out. I am sure it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Alright well this has been fun. I don't need another argument on this site. Go have fun with your new "just works" smartwatch when it comes out. I am sure it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Lol....oh boy.....

Ok, pal. See ya around.

----------

Oh goodness another thread turned into a glorified peeing contest ....

Yup....I just thought it was an interesting article. I'll admit, I do think Samsung's approach is a little "funny" - but no one can deny that's what they're doing.....simply trying/releasing a bunch of variations to see what sticks.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, nor is me pointing it out a sign that I loathe them and want to start some flamewar..... (though I admit, I'm no Samsung fan).

Quite sad that it only took a few posts for this to blow up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.