Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warburg2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
When I buy game apps from the App Store through iTunes, they are downloaded into my 1Phone 5 or iPad Air or both. From reading reviews of these games, I notice that many people download the same games into their computers. I have no idea how they do this. I would like to download games into my MacBookPro. Can anyone enlighten me as to how this is done?

nicky0

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
England
To download games on your Mac, you need to use the Mac App Store. This is an app on your Mac — it should be in your dock called "App Store".

Apps you download on your iOS device will not automatically appear on your mac, because they are separate stores.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
When I buy game apps from the App Store through iTunes, they are downloaded into my 1Phone 5 or iPad Air or both. From reading reviews of these games, I notice that many people download the same games into their computers. I have no idea how they do this. I would like to download games into my MacBookPro. Can anyone enlighten me as to how this is done?

You download the files themselves. They don't play on the computer, they're just downloaded to keep in your iTunes library on the desktop.

You can do that within the iTunes Store on your desktop by looking under the Purchased tab.

You have to buy the actual Mac versions of these games elsewhere though, and they don't sync with the mobile versions.

warburg2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Thanks very much. I used the "App" app on the dock to download a game to my computer, and it worked very well. Will I need to pay for this game again to download it into my iPad or iPhone?

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Thanks very much. I used the "App" app on the dock to download a game to my computer, and it worked very well. Will I need to pay for this game again to download it into my iPad or iPhone?

In a word, yes. This is because the actual app is different for your mac versus your phone. But, you don't have to pay again to download a phone app to your iPad or vice versa. You just authorize both devices then you can download and use for it for free (legally).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.