Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x.shayan.x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2014
Hi
You may know that iPhone 5 have lots of problems like:
*Phone not turning on:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4329484?start=0&tstart=0
*Phone not connecting to Wi-Fi
*Phone not connecting to network
***so much more...

my question is are those problems solved in iPhone 5c/5s ?
I never owned an iPhone but now I'm thinking I want to get an iPhone
So, 5c/5s owners, please share your experience with me
Should I invest my money on geting an iPhone 5c/5s or even refurbished/used iPhone 4/4s
or is it best to stay with my galaxy s5?

Thanks and regards

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi
*Phone not turning on:
***so much more...

Should I invest my money on geting an iPhone 5c/5s or even refurbished/used iPhone 4/4s

Thanks and regards

iPhone 5 was not a failure. Those issues you mentioned were not widespread and only affected a small number of people. The majority of users have devices that work without those issues.

Same for the 5c and 5s.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Why do so many people think that when a few people have problems with their devices, every single device ever produced has those problems? Similarly, I suppose all human beings have every disease that any one person has ever contracted in the history of mankind.

:rolleyes:

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
When was iphone 5 ever a failure? Lol. The reported issues people had were WELL within the range of any other product coming out on the market. The iPhone 5s I have has has no issues at all...none. So I think your just as safe getting an iPhone 5s as any other smartphone on the market.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Remind me to inform my iPhone 5 that at 1.5 years after my launch day purchase it should be failing and experiencing all the issues you mentioned.

Oh never mind, my iPhone 5 already decided that failure was not an option.

Sorry to dissapoint OP. I'll go use my successful iPhone 5 now!

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Yeah complete failure!!! Its not like its the best selling phone of 2013 and sold MILLIONS and MILLIONS and MILLIONS of units...

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I think people have problems understanding the numbers of defective devices when a huge amount is sold in a short amount of time.

There is a certain margin of error for any product. The number of electronics being sold in just a couple months use to take retailers years to sell. If a company sells 5 million units in only 2 months and has a low failure rate of 2% then you will have 100,000 defective units. All of these are hitting the market at one time instead of slowly over several months or years.

Would it look like a "failure" if it take Apple 2 years to sell 5 million phones so you are only hearing about a few problems at a time?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think people have problems understanding the numbers of defective devices when a huge amount is sold in a short amount of time.

There is a certain margin of error for any product. The number of electronics being sold in just a couple months use to take retailers years to sell. If a company sells 5 million units in only 2 months and has a low failure rate of 2% then you will have 100,000 defective units. All of these are hitting the market at one time instead of slowly over several months or years.

Would it look like a "failure" if it take Apple 2 years to sell 5 million phones so you are only hearing about a few problems at a time?
Let's just add to this (I agree with your statements) that Apple is more likely to hear complaints then they are compliments. More people go online to vent their outrage and frustration in a user to user forum than do those that are happy with their devices go online to express praise.

This concept is amplified when you have a forum that is specific to either the manufacturer or the device or both. MR is an Apple oriented forum. So, it's a magnet for those who have problems to come and state their opionions (justified or not) here. That makes it seem like their problem is bigger than it is, particularly when others with the same issue chime in.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Let's just add to this (I agree with your statements) that Apple is more likely to hear complaints then they are compliments. More people go online to vent their outrage and frustration in a user to user forum than do those that are happy with their devices go online to express praise.

This concept is amplified when you have a forum that is specific to either the manufacturer or the device or both. MR is an Apple oriented forum. So, it's a magnet for those who have problems to come and state their opionions (justified or not) here. That makes it seem like their problem is bigger than it is, particularly when others with the same issue chime in.

Agreed. I believe people will go to the end of the Earth to make sure everyone knows how crappy a product/company is but will not say anything if "it just works".

Also, if you look at the numbers of units sold after the first two months until a specific target date (say when the 5s and 5c were released) it will give you an idea of a "failure". If sales are constantly going up, especially if by huge margins, then chances are the problems are spread through a huge percentage of users.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Hi
*Phone not turning on:
***so much more...

Thanks and regards

Keep in mind that the only people that visit these forums to complain, are those with issues. A lot of people have perfectly working phones and you don't see them praising as often as some may complain.

The iPhone is a great device, I recommend the 5s if you want must-have features and the 5c is you want a relevant, great looking device (imo). The Galaxy S5 is a nice phone, why do you consider switching? Personally, iPhones are smaller and easier to hold but that's just me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Surprise...the user just registered to post only that and hasn't been back yet. Seems legit.

x.shayan.x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2014
Keep in mind that the only people that visit these forums to complain, are those with issues. A lot of people have perfectly working phones and you don't see them praising as often as some may complain.

The iPhone is a great device, I recommend the 5s if you want must-have features and the 5c is you want a relevant, great looking device (imo). The Galaxy S5 is a nice phone, why do you consider switching? Personally, iPhones are smaller and easier to hold but that's just me.

I totally agree with you. I will definitely get an iPhone because of it's great design.
Surprise...the user just registered to post only that and hasn't been back yet. Seems legit.

LOL! I'm here!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hi
*Phone not turning on:
***so much more...

Thanks and regards

I wouldn't (and don't) use forum postings as a way of measuring reliability about anything. What should determine if you stay with the S5 is do you like the S5 better than the 5C or 5S? Do you like the galaxy design better then the iphone 5c/5s? Do you like android better than ios 7.1.1?

You certainly must realize you could buy anything electronic or mechanical and have an issue with it. If you research reviews on Amazon you see people have all sorts of opinions on the same product.

x.shayan.x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2014
Usb otg

I wouldn't (and don't) use forum postings as a way of measuring reliability about anything. What should determine if you stay with the S5 is do you like the S5 better than the 5C or 5S? Do you like the galaxy design better then the iphone 5c/5s? Do you like android better than ios 7.1.1?

You certainly must realize you could buy anything electronic or mechanical and have an issue with it. If you research reviews on Amazon you see people have all sorts of opinions on the same product.

I definitely like the apple's design more than samsung's.
And I also like ios more than android!!

BUT, My one and only problem with ios is that it doesn't support a card slot for future storage expansion.
and I can't go higher than 16GB, because 5c,16GB is expensive enough for me and can't afford to pay higher than that.

And to eliminate this imperfection, I'm only depending on ios 8 and wishing that it may support USB On-The-Go; So I can connect my USB flash drive to my iPhone.

Does anybody think apple ios 8 will support USB On the Go for Flash Drivers (for reading/writing musics, Movies, and other files)??

phillymacuser

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
I recently upgraded from a 4s to a 5c. I am very delighted with the phone. The 5c does everything I need it to with a great deal of improved speed and clarity. My 4s was about 2.5 years old so it was about due for an upgrade. I am also on Verizon and in order to benefit from the network upgrades you need a 5c or 5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.