Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Michael Simmons of Flexibits noted earlier today that the App Store no longer allows customers to reinstall or update refunded App Store apps.

refund.jpg
An error message now notifies users when they try:
Update Unavailable with This Apple ID

This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded and cancelled.
While Apple has never had an automatic way to get refunds for apps, Apple does allow users to "Report a Problem" on their purchases and options include ways to get a refund.

In the past, customers were allowed to continue updating and reinstalling apps even if they were given a refund on the price of the app. This new functionality has also been extended to the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Now Preventing Updates and Reinstallation of Refunded Apps

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I’m sure _some_ people will squawk about this. I suspect they’ll be the same folks I see who eat the entire meal first, then complain and ask for their money back :D

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I’m sure _some_ people will squawk about this. I suspect they’ll be the same folks I see who eat the entire meal first, then complain and ask for their money back :D

I knew about this and I’ll admit it was nice to have it. I bought a fairly expensive navigation app a couple of years ago and I asked for a refund as it only kept crashing. I discovered that I was still able to use and update it, even though I could not download it again (iCloud didn’t exist back then). It’s still on my hard drive and I did use it occasionally for a while, as the crashes were addressed at some point. :D

It surprises me that Apple didn’t address this earlier. There is some serious potential for abuse and I’m glad that it’s fixed now.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
It is definitely new.

My little one purchased 1 Password, while on sale, after I had signed in and bought the Wolf Among Us episode 2 and 3.

I had been reading reviews on it and left my device unattended (my error). Apple refunded me and I deleted the app.

Even after the refund if I went to the App Store it showed the cloud download icon in place of the price ... now though it shows the price again.

No issue with it.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
Did you try re downloading and installing it?

Earlier this year I got a refund and had left the app on my phone not thinking about it. When there was an update this is the error I got. I deleted the app at the time and tried reinstalling and got same error. This happened to one of my friends as well. I promise it's not brand new

iosquattro

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
The problem is not that your refunded apps won't get updated. The problem is if you ever change your mind and want to buy that app again you cannot. You will get this error upon trying to repurchase. I've been going back and forth with Apple about this for a couple weeks now. A few months back I requested a refund on an app that crashed continuously. Months later the dev fixed the issue and I decided to legitimately purchase the app again. Nope. Get this message. So, this is the issue.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Does this mean that the folks who bitched and moaned about FCPX and got a refund but could still download and use it are now SOL?

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I hope those that got refunds from FCP X are banned from using any Apple product related to video in the future, I bought FCP X at the time it came out, and I was one of those wanting a refund, I stuck with it, did my time, and now I cannot see a better product than FCP X....

If they had a refund and it works, if I was Mr T Cook, I would link the refunded software to a in app purchase system and make them pay back through paid updates...Software free, functionally paid!!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Like others have echoed, this seems to be no-brainer. However, reading that pop up message, I noticed it said something about apps purchased on a different AppleID. I'm guilty of (and I know others are) "sharing" apps, i.e. installing an app on another device using the AppleID that was used for purchasing. Seems like this won't allow that anymore.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You people assume too much. :rolleyes:

If people wanted to steal FCP in the first place, they would just pirate it. The majority of people who would do such a thing don't have $300 in their bank accounts lying around to buy it and then demand a refund.

And honestly, the people who bought it had the right to complain. It's professional software that went bad for people that relied on it as a daily work tool. It was more than just bugs, and it caused a lot of people to look at other options.

It wasn't just some message board that got angry about it either.

----

Considering that my iOS purchases are taking forever to actually be billed to my PayPal at the moment, I think this is the sign of refunds coming to the App Store. It'd be interesting to see how they handle it.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
The problem is not that your refunded apps won't get updated. The problem is if you ever change your mind and want to buy that app again you cannot. You will get this error upon trying to repurchase. I've been going back and forth with Apple about this for a couple weeks now. A few months back I requested a refund on an app that crashed continuously. Months later the dev fixed the issue and I decided to legitimately purchase the app again. Nope. Get this message. So, this is the issue.

This is the kind of situation that I thought of as soon as I saw this. Not the "refund then reinstall" suedo piracy that everyone else seems to be concerned with. If the ban is indefinite, then that means that the decision can never be reversed, regardless of changes in the situation.

This needs to be addressed. Buy once, dislike and get a refund. If you choose to buy again, no refund will be available.

PoseMotion

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
USA
Finally! Apple is protecting us developers from piracy!

There's been a couple of times where an app was purchased, the buyer left a bogus review on why the app supposedly didn't work , then to see the app was refunded. I'm sure they kept using it, as there was nothing wrong with it to begin with.

This makes my day. :D

----------

This needs to be addressed. Buy once, dislike and get a refund. If you choose to buy again, no refund will be available.

I agree with that. ;)

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This is fine, now give people a refund period after they buy an app. I know within a few minutes if an app is bad. So even a 60 min refund window would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.