Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
A buddy that I convinced to switch has had lots of trouble with his iBook. The latest problem is screen related.

He called a minute ago saying:
  • that his computer wouldn't boot
  • that the screen was a dim blue color
  • that his computer was making the normal drive noises
I was able to discern that OSX was booting.. because his volume buttons work (they respond with nice 'plop' noises), and he was able to put it to sleep by closing the lid.

It sounds to me like he has a bad screen or an loose internal cable or component. He recently had to send it to apple for a hard disk replacement- maybe they didn't put things back together so well.

Is the video adapter built-in to the logic board on this machine? If so, can it come unseated? Is there anything we can try before I open it up and go snoopin?

He'll be here in with it in an hour or so, and I just wanted to be prepared!

Thanks!
-wjones

wjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
Here's an update:

His iBook screen is intermittant when the bezel is squeezed... on the top... just of the left of center.

Is something plugged in up there?

Thanks!
-Walton

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
You convinced him to switch to a used 1ghz iBook? Or was it somehow new and still under warranty?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It really sounds like a hardware issue (loose connection) that a technician should be able to fix however just in case it's a software issue, for one reason or another, try resetting the PRAM. I doubt this'll work, I think this iBook needs a technician. :eek:

wjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
The iBook wasn't used- he got it new.. and has had problems with it.

After looking at some pictures, it looks like the data cable is loose (that's where the pressure seems to fix it).

-wjones

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Like Reflow said, make sure he doesn't attempt to take it apart and have him send it back again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.